Creating season on spreadsheet

How do you do a season on a spreadsheet so that it calculates and sorts points and sorts drivers? Or is there a better and easier program out there? Know basic spreadsheet. :p

Edit: Got it. Spreadsheets...Totally over complicated.

Last edited:
I don't know whether this would be any use to you Paul. I created it to record my GPL 69 season a while back and then just kept adding to it. Feel free to mess around with it if you wish. Note that it's actually an xlsm file (the xls version is too big), but I've had to change the extension to xls to be able to upload it. Just change the file extension back to xlsm to use.

I don't know whether this would be any use to you Paul. I created it to record my GPL 69 season a while back and then just kept adding to it. Feel free to mess around with it if you wish. Note that it's actually an xlsm file (the xls version is too big), but I've had to change the extension to xls to be able to upload it. Just change the file extension back to xlsm to use.
Hey! Thanks David. Will have a look at it. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Glad you like it Paul. Actually, I’ve been taking a look at it and there’s a fair few errors in the version I gave you and I also didn’t like the way some of the features worked. I’ve attached a (hopefully) less buggy version, which also has a few additions. You'll need to change the file extension again.

The 1st/2nd half races option is for championships which split the races into 2 halves and limit the number of races that drivers can score in. As I said, the initial idea behind the project was to create something to enable me to record a GPL 1969 season manually. In that year, there were 11 races, split into 2 halves. The 1st half was 6 races, but only the best 5 finishes counted. The 2nd half was 5 races long and the best 4 finishes counted. To create this in the spreadsheet, you enter 5 from 6 for the 1st half races and 4 from 5 for the 2nd half.

For most seasons you wouldn’t need any of this and would just enter the number of races in the bottom box (or the 1st Half Races ‘From’ box). And all this actually does is reduce the number of events visible on the results page, so even this isn't strictly necessary.

Joint Final Positions doesn’t really do anything, other than change the numbering down the side of the drivers standings table. If you have say, 3 drivers with the same point total, they might show as joint 2nd with JFP on, or 2nd, 3rd and 4th with it off.

Inputting a figure in the Fastest Lap points box (and now Pole Position points as well), open up a new column on the Results sheet where you indicate a fastest lap (or pole position) with an ‘x’ (actually, you can put anything in, in reality). The sheet then totals up the entries, multiplies them by the number you input and adds the result to the total points.

Points Adjustment simply opens up a new row on the Results table that allows you to adjust the points scored in an individual race by double, half or quarter. It’s for endurance races, or races shortened due to bad weather (yes, I know it’s not going to happen in a simulator, but I never claimed that everything in it was useful!). You could, for instance, replicate GTR2’s endurance races by separating the race into 3 events, awarding half points for the first 2 (the quarter and half distance points) and full points for the 3rd event (the final race finishing position).

There’s a new entry on this screen called Shared Drives. Normally, if you enter the same finishing position for 2 drivers, then they would both get the full points allocation for that position. If you select Shared Drives, then the points will be shared equally between however many drivers finished in that position. Note that if you do enter the same position for multiple drivers, the numbers will turn red. This is just to warn you that you have put the same finishing position in more than once.

I'm happy to answer any more questions if I haven’t explained things properly, or there's anything else you want to ask.

David

I'm happy to answer any more questions if I haven’t explained things properly, or there's anything else you want to ask.

David
Thanks again David for all your help.:thumbsup: Doing a season on a Spreadsheet is way better than in game(championship creator)because if you use modded tracks the AI are at different strength for each track. And also yours looks a lot better.

Cheers

Yes, I’ve argued for years that sims should have the option to set an AI adjustment for each track; just a small positive or negative % that would modify the default AI speed setting. This is especially important in games that allow 3rd party content, as all modders have their own individual interpretation of what a baseline AI speed should be.

Another advantage of recording a championship manually is that it allows you to swap cars between races. This is why I needed it for my GPL69x season, so that I could drive the correct car for each race. It also meant that I could use the correct points system in my Can-Am season.

Of course, the big disadvantage is that you might need to remember to record the results yourself. I start Fraps before a GPL championship race and take a screenshot of the results. I’ve set the FPS counter to the bottom right, so that it appears over GPL’s ‘Go’ button. This is in the hope that it’ll remind me to take the shot before I move to the next screen, but I’m always terrified that I’ll forget and the whole race will be lost.

If you find any bugs, or think of anything you’d like changed or added, just let me know. I’ve just started a period of self imposed sim racing abstinence, as my legs have gone again and I must rest them, so I’ll need something else to occupy me. Although, with AC updates, GSC2013 apparently due soon and the possible near arrival of my Clubsport Shifter, I suspect my willpower is going to be sorely tested!

Updated version attached which fixes some major errors found by Clyde9971. As before, change the file extension back to .xlsm before using.

Edit: Further issues spotted and resolved. My apologies to anyone who may have downloaded the previous version. If anyone spots any further bugs, please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi David, I have been using your spreadsheet for over a year now and love it. Is there anyway to keep the points gained per race and have it shown in the driver standings tab like it used to? Ive attached a pic to show what i mean.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,618
Hello Mark. I’m extremely sorry, but I somehow missed your post and have only just noticed it when Greg 'liked' an earlier post of mine today (thanks Greg, glad you find the tool useful). I’m not sure whether I’ve miss-understood your problem, but I believe all you need to do is make sure you have enabled macros and then hit the ‘Show Race Points’ button (though I'm sure you've figured this out for yourself anyway).

My apologies if I’ve not grasped this correctly and for the huge delay in replying.

Updated version attached which fixes some major errors found by Clyde9971. As before, change the file extension back to .xlsm before using.

Edit: Further issues spotted and resolved. My apologies to anyone who may have downloaded the previous version. If anyone spots any further bugs, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

I was looking for ways to enjoy a multi-class point system and arrived here, which even assetto corsa custom championship does not support.
Your spreadsheet has a lot of potential and should be archived somewhere more visible for everyone.

Following a request from iVitalBullet, I’ve updated the spreadsheet to add a basic team/constructor function. You enable this by selecting the new option on the Standings page.

It’s nothing too complex, there’s no option to have only a set number of drivers from each team score towards the team total or anything like that, it just adds up the points scored by each team member and presents a team standings table. Note that, although dropped scores do not count towards the total, they will still show in the individual race totals.

The Top Ranked Driver column was just something to fill in the space. I could change this to show the number of drivers in the team, or, perhaps, list the drivers in each team (though the font might reduce to an unreadable size in this case!).

I’ve only done some very basic testing, so if anyone spots any errors, or has any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Don’t forget to change the file extension back to .xlsm.

Hi David,
I've just downloaded your table generator
This is brilliant. I wanted to create something for my online racing league and thought I would just have a search on the net first and I found this. amazing work mate
If you are still up for doing enhancements, is there any chance you can add a penalty points column for each race? In my league we are allowed to report incidents and sometimes the outcome is penalty points to the offending driver. Depending on the incident it could be 1 point or up to 10 if they wipe out loads of drivers at the start. Just a free field that minuses from the race total for that driver would be perfect If there was any chance this could be added that would be amazing :)
Kind regards
Gavin

Sorry to be a pain, I've been playing around with the sheet and I also noticed that the Podium calculator doesn't seem to work, it give some very strange results of 20 or 19, then I've only entered the results for a few races.
Only if you have time
Regards
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Pleased you like the file and sorry for the 'Podiums' error (again, lack of testing to blame). The attached amended version should fix this. As ever, the file extension needs to be changed back to .xlsm.

As for the penalty points function, I will try to take a look at this at some time, but I can't promise anything definite. Unfortunately, due to ill health, I'm limiting my computer time these days (I haven't done any sim driving for 4 months), but I should certainly be in a position to spend a bit of time on this when I'm off work in a couple of weeks. Can I ask whether you use the Fastest Lap or Pole Position options, as I'm wondering whether it might be possible to utilise one of these columns to perform a dual functionality?

David

Hi Gavin

Pleased you like the file and sorry for the 'Podiums' error (again, lack of testing to blame). The attached amended version should fix this. As ever, the file extension needs to be changed back to .xlsm.

As for the penalty points function, I will try to take a look at this at some time, but I can't promise anything definite. Unfortunately, due to ill health, I'm limiting my computer time these days (I haven't done any sim driving for 4 months), but I should certainly be in a position to spend a bit of time on this when I'm off work in a couple of weeks. Can I ask whether you use the Fastest Lap or Pole Position options, as I'm wondering whether it might be possible to utilise one of these columns to perform a dual functionality?

David
Hi David,
Firstly I'm very sorry to hear about your illness. I hope this is not too serious and wish you a speedy recovery. Due to these circumstances I thank thou doubly for your response and also for your updated file. I'm sure this would be the last thing on your mind in such circumstances and can't fully put into words how much I appreciate your reply.

For my leagues we do utilise both the fastest lap and pole position options, fastest lap for all, pole position for most. I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across this thread due to how close it was to being exactly what I was looking for.
Please don't put yourself out on my behalf , your health is way more important. I do have some knowledge in excel and macros so I may be able to work out how to update this myself though it would be completely trial and error. If you have time and the inclination to do this when you have time off I would be extremely grateful but please not to the detriment of anything else.

Kind regards and massive thanks for your response.
You've already done a fantastic job sir
Gavin

Hi Gavin

I couldn't resist having a play with this in the end. Please take a look at the attached update and see if it does what you're after.

The penalties are just deducted from the overall total, so you can get negative total points. I had started by thinking that the points should be deducted from the individual races and, if that's what you actually had in mind, it would be relatively simple to change it around to work this way.

The actual finishes, not the adjusted points, are still used to determine driver order in the case of ties.

As this is a first draft, and I haven't had the chance to do any real testing, there will be bugs (there always is!).

David

Hey David,

I love this spreadsheet and the continued support you have on this spreadsheet. If it's not a hassle at all, I'm trying to do NASCAR Championships on Heat 4 Career and the races utilise the Stages and Playoff Points. Would you know of a way to integrate this into the sheet?

Thanks for the continued support!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back