Crash/Black screen/Video reset during rain

Shovas

Premium
I think I'm seeing a pattern of crashing during rainy sessions. I use the Changing Weather Mod. I *think* sunny sessions are fine but rainy sessions tend to crash out: it freezes, then I get a black screen, the video kind of resets or something, and I crash to the desktop - rarely it just freezes, blacks out, and comes back.

Any ideas? CPU/GPU thermals seem fine.

iRacing and R3E can run forever basically without crashing.

Thanks

Did you try to run a pure rainy session without using the mod ?
Surely a first step to try if not already done..... so you'll know if it is really the rainy session the problem for your crashing.

Rain is the most demanding for graphics .... that's surely this and not the mod but it depends of course of your PC specifications.

EDIT: My GTR2 is highly graphically modded ... Enb - Hdr - High res skies ....etc ..
I just tested rain with 40 cars at Le Mans 79 ... and with graphic options at the max ... I have some freezes but no crash

Rain is graphically demanding .... some sparing on graphics should be necessary for rain conditions.
CPU I5 4670k - MSI GTX1060 6GO - 8GO ram
GTR2 originally created for 1 core PCs and normally 2 Go memory use .... running the 4Gb patch and Bill's Process Manager for use of 4 cores.

If your config is equal or lower than mine .... only reducing the most demanding graphic options should surely be the solution to avoid crashes.

Last edited:
[SOLVED] I did end up reinstalling all mods little by little and testing Zuhai in the rain (where I was getting crashes) and, while I got a few crash outs along the way, they were especially frequent and predictable when I had the Changing Weather Mod installed - very, very sad but I guess that's that.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
In fact, everything in GTR2 in my install still lacks optimization .... I just changed my 2 HDDs a few weeks ago for a SSD and SSHD .... and there are still many files to reinstall.

I finally doubt this Weather Mod is the problem ... but the problem is rather find the perfect graphic settings in Nvidia Control Panel + NVidia Inspector.... allowing to take profit of all those graphic enhancements in all conditions.

Many other things to do for the moment .... but sure that there are different precious advices we might find.... for this.
I suppose or rather am nearly sure Durge Driven might give us good advices in this case. ;)

with 4 core cpu you should put gtr2.exe to run on 2 cores! It will give you at least 50% higher fps.
I use Process Lasso but there are other options too.
If you are using Win 10 you might have to run both config.exe and gtr2.exe as admin and gtr2.exe in win 7 compatible. Or you can have those random crashes.

Update: Part of my stability problem was due to Firefox's use of accelerated graphics. I was keeping firefox open while running GTR2 in full-screen mode. I noticed that Firefox looked glitched-out when the GTR2 crash happen: It made me think Firefox was the cause. It seemed to really help to close Firefox, and as many other apps as possible, when running GTR2. I have a feeling fullscreen accelerated graphics are key here and that running windowed mode wouldn't have these problems (but then I don't want borders).

No nee
d for borders.
Use borderless window
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming
Using version 9.1
install and start the Borderless gaming
select the native res of your monitor and check windows mode
Start the program ~ gtr2.exe
Minimize it and check the Borderless gaming window.
Select in this case Gtr2.exe and move it over to favorites
That way it will always start in borderless windows mode.

But GTR2 looks better in 4 X DSR.

Update: Found out this was due to some bad files in my GTR2 folder. A clean install seems to have fixed it up.

For borderless windows, I've now bought Borderless Gaming on Steam and I think it's worth the $5. It could be a bit better but it gets the job done.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%