Cracking sound from Fanatec Elite base

Guys, my Elite base is making some ominous sharp cracking sounds in use; it sounds like something mechanical, as if something is either cracked or is moving when it shouldn't. It happens when turning the wheel, and I notice that the wheel has side to side and up and down movement, which is play in the output shaft from the base. The wheel is firm on the output shaft, it is definitely not a loose quick release coupling

Has anyone one else had this and can advise if it is fixable?

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
This has taken a nasty turn for the worse; today there was a loud crack and the wheel boss now is considerably looser than before. I suspect the DD1 purchase I'd been putting off may be more imminent.

However I would like to know if the DD1 front bearing is a metal one, and what material the support is, as if it is plastic I'm not convinced it will be any more robust. From what I see the construction seems to be beefier, but if anyone can confirm it would help

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
Hi again all

I decided that as my Elite was out of warranty I had very little to lose by opening it up and seeing if I could find out what was going on. An initial inspection with the top cover off showed nothing broken, and no obvious signs of anything wrong. The construction of the main wheel output shaft is such that there is a thick sheet metal plate that holds the thrust bearing, which is also bent in such a way that the rear two lower base mount bolts are threaded direct into the plate.

It's reasonably sturdy, but close inspection showed that there was a bit of movement when you applied some lateral force to the wheel output shaft. It appears that the whole assembly was able to move slightly when the force was applied, and the cracking sound occurs when the plastic covers around the rear or the mechanism moved.

By going around and judiciously tightening every screw I could find I was able to eliminate the movement, and when I put the whole lot back together and bolted it firmly down on to the rig mounts I am happy to report that the nasty cracking sound has been all but eliminated.

While I still fancy getting a DD1, I now can do so at my leisure rather than being forced to at short notice. With any luck there will be a sale that reduces the price at some point, and I can wait for that

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
Glad you got it sorted. Nothing more satisfying than repairing your own sim gear to fend off those pesky expensive purchases.
I was close to a Simagic purchase just a few weeks before I stripped my CSW v1 down and went through every part replacing bits n bobs. Even repainted the code wheel sensor. It's been working so well that I've put the DD on hold for a while now.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Forum trophies