CPU upgrade

Hi looking for a bit of advice ?
I have a Asus P5N32_E sli mother board, socket lga775,with a intel P8500 core 2 duo CPU @3.15 ghz.
What would be my best CPU upgrade choice i dont want to change the mother board !

Having the same prob myself.... after months of planning i will prob end up with i5 2500k and a beter motherboard..
im settling for a single big screen upgrade. (multi purpose uses)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Per...6?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1e6a3342bc .... already have gtx460 and can use the rest from old pc...This should last atleat a couple of years..... now to find a big plasma tv... 600htz...:)

If ive understood Jim correctly the i5 2500k will do every thing i need and more...

Upvote 0
Hi looking for a bit of advice ?
I have a Asus P5N32_E sli mother board, socket lga775,with a intel P8500 core 2 duo CPU @3.15 ghz.
What would be my best CPU upgrade choice i dont want to change the mother board !

Propably a used q9550 oc'ed to 4ghz price/performance wise.

What CPU cooler do you have? You could uprgrade to a Thermalright HR 02 Macho if it fits into your PC case and overclock your CPU to whats possible, if it's not enough you could switch to a q9550 ( used ) or build a new rig and keep using the cooler for it.

It may make more sense to upgrade your Graphics first if you don't run iracing wich is CPU heavy, depending on what you're using actually. Rf2 is not optimized yet, they said that they won't fully make use of quadcores a while ago. All performance problems actually are due to beeing a Beta.

Upvote 0
Having the same prob myself.... after months of planning i will prob end up with i5 2500k and a beter motherboard..
im settling for a single big screen upgrade. (multi purpose uses)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Per...6?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item1e6a3342bc .... already have gtx460 and can use the rest from old pc...This should last atleat a couple of years..... now to find a big plasma tv... 600htz...:)

If ive understood Jim correctly the i5 2500k will do every thing i need and more...

i5-2500k is a top notch CPU and you will struggle to find an i7 that beats it unless you are prepared to part with a considerable amount of cash :)

Upvote 0
I (personally) don't believe water cooling is as necessary as most people will have you believe.

I run a heavily O/Clocked quad core and it runs ice cold on an air cooler, I use the Meglahalems and its amazing! I use two 120mm fans mounted on it, my old Q8200 (2.33Ghz) quad now runs very well at 3.5Ghz + With temps a low 50 even under 4hrs of Prime95 stress testing! You dont need watercoolers

photo_01.jpg

Upvote 0
I run a heavily O/Clocked quad core and it runs ice cold on an air cooler, I use the Meglahalems and its amazing! I use two 120mm fans mounted on it, my old Q8200 (2.33Ghz) quad now runs very well at 3.5Ghz + With temps a low 50 even under 4hrs of Prime95 stress testing! You dont need watercoolers

I've got an i5-2500K (3.30Ghz) overclocked to 4.3Ghz and it runs sweet as on air cooling - never had it above 60 C with a Corsair A50 cooler, I'm happy with that :)

Upvote 0
Water cooling was "cool" in the days. Today given the performance of modern CPUs it is not as important. I only wish smaller software companies educated themselves better on how to write good software.

Upvote 0
It's annoying that we have so much good hardware out there and its held back by sloppy programming.

See in the past both AMD and Intel would just increase frequencies and you were guaranteed that your software runs faster. Today frequencies are just a small part of the equation. New features are constantly added to the processor, however compilers have to keep up with it AND software engineers need to know how to use it better as well... That's why there is such a huge discrepancy in pay between "Programmers" and "Software Engineers"

Upvote 0
See in the past both AMD and Intel would just increase frequencies and you were guaranteed that your software runs faster. Today frequencies are just a small part of the equation. New features are constantly added to the processor, however compilers have to keep up with it AND software engineers need to know how to use it better as well... That's why there is such a huge discrepancy in pay between "Programmers" and "Software Engineers"

All this is just another good reason for me to stick to PCB's n Soldering :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%