Could Demotion Save Kvyat's F1 Career?

From Mansell, Senna, Prost to this childish drama of a driver that wouldn't be GP material back in the 90's... my, my, how F1 has fallen.

From Mansell, Senna, Prost to this childish drama of a driver that wouldn't be GP material back in the 90's... my, my, how F1 has fallen.

I don't think a lot of the drivers are 90's F1 material and I don't think a lot 90's drivers are capable to drive a modern F1 car. The sport has changed a lot over the years. Comparing F1 in the 90's to F1 nowadays is comparing chalk and cheese.

I don't think a lot of the drivers are 90's F1 material and I don't think a lot 90's drivers are capable to drive a modern F1 car. The sport has changed a lot over the years. Comparing F1 in the 90's to F1 nowadays is comparing chalk and cheese.

Not sure about that. Either way, those drivers from the old days where great to watch. Even a lowly Patrese was an interesting driver. Nowadays F1 is too sterile, too clean maybe. Whereas Mansell, for example, was a showman. Maybe the lack of personality on nowadays F1 is the problem for me.

Although F1 is not in any way the place where all good drivers have equal chances (given it's full of politics, since there's big $$$ at stake), Kvyat has to improve his consistency if he wants to stay in the game. He has really good performance spikes followed by really dumb moves, fueled by personal feelings or not. I understand it's not hard to get irritated by an individual such as Sebastian Vettel (who loves to make bold moves but hates it when he's on the receiving side), but you can't just say "I didn't see he was in front of me" after bumping him for the second time in 7 seconds (Sochi). Unless you're really not thinking. And RedBull should perhaps focus on giving their drivers a car that performs, as it seems they've been caught with their pants down by the turbo change - considering they're the richest team on the grid, affording to have 4 cars on it.

Kvyat is capable of great pace, but lacks consistency.

If I were Danil, the #1 guy I would seek out in the paddock is Mr. Grosjean. If you recall, at one point in the not-so-distant past, Romain's reputation was at Maldonado-esque levels. He stayed mentally tough, stuck with it, and now is in a great position to succeed with either Haas or should one of the top teams come calling (which I really wouldn't rule out).

This is simply a marketing exercise orchestrated by RB to create some media hype and recover the initiative lost due to the lack of a winning car. If you lack horsepower on the back of the car, you play with the driver line-up to attract media attention and $$$.
Kvyat is a propitiatory victim and Verstapen the opportunist in this game. For the former the days at F1 might be counted, for the latter is now either total success or total failure. No middle ground for someone with such an intoxicating character and ambition.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he's referring to Verstapen winning the race after one week in the seat. Yes he was lucky that the Mercs took each other out, but holding onto P1 like he did proves Max is not all hype, he can deliver. And so can the Red Bull.

And heck, this is coming from someone rooting for the ponies that were chasing him.

Thanks for all your comments. I mostly agree with your views. A subtle point is that my original comment wasn't about Verstapen being hype himself. A little bit yes but a huge talent and ambition. I refer to him as no middle ground material. I can't see him languishing into oblivion. And he is getting the success side of the extreme now. Which is great for the sport and himself.
The timing in here has been also 'disrupting'. My reading of this year's season was: Mercs brutally dominating yet again (two cars in front of everybody else -without incidents-) and Ferrari stepping up to close slightly the gap (getting better for f1 but not yet real competition at the top) with some other teams in the ascending trend. Among them, RB. But RB was the third squad at best and that wasn't delivering the same amount of media attention than the Vettel's years... Therefore the play with media hype by changing the line up and exploiting the massive media momentum of Verstapen. If additionally the guy delivers a brutal drive and wins on his first race, all the best. But how many more wins do you seriously think he is going to deliver this year without the Mercs crashing into each other and without Ricciardo's and Vettel's permission/errors...
BTW, impossible to know now if Kvyat would have delivered the win in his place, but no reason to think he wouldn't have. Ricciardo would have followed Vettel strategy equally and Kvyat would have had a similar chance after the Mercs crashed...
Nobody is going to negate Verstapen is currently gold material but let's not forget that RB has an exceptional weekend overall. But this is it: exceptional. Let's wait and see if the momentum carries on but I'm inclined to think they will remain stuck behind Mercs and Ferrari whether Verstapen or Kvyat drives the second RB car.

Thanks for all your comments. I mostly agree with your views. A subtle point is that my original comment wasn't about Verstapen being hype himself. A little bit yes but a huge talent and ambition. I refer to him as no middle ground material. I can't see him languishing into oblivion. And he is getting the success side of the extreme now. Which is great for the sport and himself.
The timing in here has been also 'disrupting'. My reading of this year's season was: Mercs brutally dominating yet again (two cars in front of everybody else -without incidents-) and Ferrari stepping up to close slightly the gap (getting better for f1 but not yet real competition at the top) with some other teams in the ascending trend. Among them, RB. But RB was the third squad at best and that wasn't delivering the same amount of media attention than the Vettel's years... Therefore the play with media hype by changing the line up and exploiting the massive media momentum of Verstapen. If additionally the guy delivers a brutal drive and wins on his first race, all the best. But how many more wins do you seriously think he is going to deliver this year without the Mercs crashing into each other and without Ricciardo's and Vettel's permission/errors...
BTW, impossible to know now if Kvyat would have delivered the win in his place, but no reason to think he wouldn't have. Ricciardo would have followed Vettel strategy equally and Kvyat would have had a similar chance after the Mercs crashed...
Nobody is going to negate Verstapen is currently gold material but let's not forget that RB has an exceptional weekend overall. But this is it: exceptional. Let's wait and see if the momentum carries on but I'm inclined to think they will remain stuck behind Mercs and Ferrari whether Verstapen or Kvyat drives the second RB car.
Disagree Here. Ricciardo would've done it in that position. Kvyat wouldn't. He can't cope the pressure and would've locked up at least 5 times.
Kvyat is not on par with Ricciardo. The only reason he got More points last year is because he didn't have that many problems with the engine as Ricciardo.

Kvyat would of had his head on the chopping block at the start of the year. RBR would have wanted Verstappen in the top team from the beginning but perhaps took the conservative approach and decided to give Kvyat 1 more year to prove himself and Verstappen 1 more year of practice in the Torro Rosso. But then Verstappen really started to become hot property and other top teams were rumoured to have been showing an interest in pinching him from RBR, I think the pressure to sign him on, plus his top performances and Kvyats general lack of pace would have got them considering an early swap anyway. The issue with that, is how do they do it without looking like the evil monsters who just randomly driver swap mid season, well I think Kvyat gave them that opportunity by making some bad mistakes and upsetting poor sensitive Sebastian. I'm convinced the swap was more about getting Verstappens signature on a contract for the future ASAP than it was about anything else.

As for Kvyat's career being over? I think he is good enough to get picked up by other teams if he wants, there are plenty of mid/low level teams that could benefit from a young driver with at least some proven talent, at the same time I can't see him getting a look in at RBR, Ferrari or Mercedes any time soon, so chances of him ever getting a championship are highly unlikely.

I dont think Kvyat's F1 carreer is over just yet. But he needs to start looking for a different team asap because at Redbull he will most likely be replaced by Gasly next year. He should see the remaining season as his last chance to sell himself to a different team. If he cant do that then im afraid it will be the end for Kvyat's F1 carreer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 369 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 513 39.0%