COTM TC65 Lotus Cortina @ Lime Rock Park (Sprint / Feature) Saturday 6th June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_june.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: Car of the Month - TC65 Lotus Cortina - Sprint & Feature
Track: Lime Rock Park (sprint) / Lime Rock Mountain (feature inc. mandatory pit stop)
Conditions: 16.00 In-game race time
Practice: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 UK / 21.00 Europe (5 min)
Qualification: 19.05 GMT / 20.05 UK / 21.05 Europe (20 min)
Race: 19.25 GMT / 20.25 UK / 21.25 Europe - 20 laps

Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only

Thanks guys for allowing me to join late.

Race 1: I knew that I was going to be the backmarker, but didn't realise by just how far! I think it was 5 laps in the end. Sorry to Simon. I followed you just wide enough to touch the gravel and kept sliding. Sorry mate.

Race 2: Again, wasn't expecting much, and that's what I got. :laugh2: Qualified 10th which put the Aus contingent at the back of the field. I was catching up to Mozza when my Trackir sprang to life and gave me a side on view of the track. I, strangely enough, found it quite difficult to drive in this view... :giggle: By the time it switched back to normal, I was wide and ended up behind a long barrier. I reversed out and set to closing the 30 second gap. After a lap of calming down and deciding just to get into a rhythm, I promptly slid into the corner of the pit entry wall and my car erupted into flames. :victory:

Thanks Stuart for setting this up, I am trying to get to these as often as possible, but 5 am on a Sunday morning is tricky most of the time. Immaculate track choice mate, just beautiful!

Thanks guys.

Another night of fun as always, thanks Stuart and the rest of you.:thumb:

So nice to get back to the Cortina after that bloody Ferrari I'm punting about in the league!

Race 1

Had a bit of a rotten time, when it was going well it was smooth as anything but the 3 times it went wrong it went wrong big time. No worries about the touch Cam, by that point a bit of frustration had started to set in anyhow so definitely no harm done. :)

Race 2

Better, despite qualifying low down, got off to a good start and tried like mad to keep up with the pack. By Lap 2 however I was dropping back and was surprised to find Dave behind me, thinking I could hold P7 until the pits I promptly understeered straight into the big gravel trap at the hairpin - bugger!
Came in for a pitstop early (on Lap 8) after glancing off an armco, thinking I'd damaged something. No harm done, I was off again and was doubly surprised to find myself in front of Amir and into P6 - and that's where I stayed until the end.

Simon :)

Race 2: Again, wasn't expecting much, and that's what I got. :laugh2: Qualified 10th which put the Aus contingent at the back of the field.

Yeh I think we're destroying the image Warren had forged of Aussies being fast in GTL Cam :rotfl:

Race 1: Not sure what happened, was fine last night when I was practicing offline, running comfortably into the 1:04s. Then tonight I just couldnt get any sort of consistency. Nevermind, pretty much followed Simon for most part. My race ended when I oversteered on the very top of the hill and jumped the fence... Where I started the almighty never ending fall. D'oh!

Race 2: Hadn't done many laps around here at all. Was trying to get to know the track during practice/quali, so I wasn't fast. Even decided to try and slow Simon down by causing a crash in pit lane :dance2:.
The race was kinda quiet. Was shattered when Captain Wedge spun on the first lap, however I was a little confident cos I was sitting on the arse of the Avi, Stuart, Simon and someone who's name has escaped me at the moment. Once they sorted themselves out though, I merely stuck my hand out the window and waved tootle-loo to them.
Managed to stick around Simon's pace but after the pitstop I understeered into the wall and jumped the fence. Tried reversing around the track (gave me a fantastic view of Stu negotiating the hairpin, ya'll should try it!), to find a gap but I ended up in the little creek... Trying to get out meant my little cortina turned its little 4 banger into some fancy fireworks.

Thanks Stu for setting it up, and all for attending!

P.S - Cam, plan to make the Aussie Assault COTM at Albert Park and Amaroo! :)

• Matt Crouch

Lucky that practice didn't go on any longer as I got a micro disconnect about 2 mins after the end of the race :heh:

Race 1. I've run Limerock park a couple of times but I think it needs the GTL cars to make the best of it. These are a lot more controllable round here than some of the evo cars

Qualified in 4th, lost a couple of places on the first lap to being careful ;).
Spent the first half of the race very close behind Amir, swapping positions a couple of times, and then David :). A bit after half way David span in front of me.. I'm pretty sure it was just a shift down too far as I was a couple of metres behind from my view but the way it snapped round looked odd so I let you back past :).

Knut was then quite close behind and gained quite quickly, but luckily it's quite easy to keep people behind on this track, for the last couple of laps I managed to hold on and with others' mistakes I finished in P4

Race 2
Qualified 4th again I think. Pretty lonely overall but on mt limerock it really doesn't matter :D. After an exciting first lap with the same faces, Amir went wide in the corner of doom (you probably know the one) and I nearly followed :heh:, but stayed on for 3rd. From then on nothing much changed.

I took a fairly late pit on lap 14, the same lap as Sam but about 30 seconds behind. If only my pitbox was in front of Sam's I could have claimed I led that race from the pits :D. The closest I came was the box directly behind.

I went wide a couple of times on the corner of doom but luckily didn't share Glenn's fate this race... :th_o: I'm sure many of us have been there at one point or another though

Was a classic event. I'm liking the cortinas (more than expected) and this format is probably my favourite

Had some white-knuckle laps while chasing Matt (race 1) and Sam (race 2). Was so much fun and had to concentrate a lot to keep up.

Did you only change 2 tires Sam? After my pitstop (lap9) my right leg was shaking, desperatily trying to catch some ground:) Sam exits the pits (some laps later) just in front of me, the difference being exactly the same as before we pitted.

The Cortina behaved so well tonight, thanks to Sams excellent setup:good:

Thanks Stuart and RaceDepartment, seems like all GTL races are equally brilliant these days.

Race1 - Lime Rock Park

First off, the Cortina is such a beautiful car to drive, and these 2 tracks/layouts are also magnificent brutes, I couldn't really go too far wrong on the event. But I have to say, I hugely enjoy the sprint + feature format round layouts of the same track, so expect a few more of these. :good:

Quali P3 - Race P3

Had a cracking race, first with David C who kept me honest, and I was watching my mirrors enough that Abdul and Sam were getting away, then I think David had a bit of a wobble, not a full off. That had two effects - it dropped him just far back enough that he was now involved in the following pack and was defending from people behind him, which in turn gave me enough breathing room to concentrate on the leaders, and open up a bit of a gap.

Closed right up on Abdul, and we had some fantastic fun, real nose to tail full throttle stuff. We changed places a couple of times, mostly based on the last corner exit and the run up to T1. I nipped up the inside using the slipstream to get P2, a couple of laps later, Abdul did exactly the same thing to me, and a couple of laps later, I had the same sort of tow from Abdul, but as he was expecting a dart up the inside and covered the line, I went round the outside. Bumper to bumper right the way up to the final corner, I was thinking to myself "Don't go wide - Don't go wide". Net result, I went in too tight, clipped the inside kerb just enough to unsettle the car, drifted wide off the kerb anyway, and Abdul nicked through for P2. :doh: :D

Not really gutted though as it was a fantastic race experience.

Some pics

1. Croucher (chequered roof) & Amir (yellow stripe)
2. David (yellow body) & Amir (yellow stripe)
3. Abdul (blue/orange) & me (red / gold) in the complex
4. Me getting a a good exit out of the last turn and a tow off Abdul
5. I nip through on the inside into T1
6. Knut (gold / green) closes up on Croucher
7. Abdul takes back P2 on the inside at T1
8. I Buffalo Girls (go round the outside) at T1, as Abduls got the inside well covered.
9. The finish - "Blimey, that was close" I thought....
10. Croucher & Knut say "No mate. This is close"

Attachments

• GTL-2009-06-07-10-21-25-48.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-21-25-48.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 222
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-23-05-63.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-23-05-63.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 200
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-23-53-43.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-23-53-43.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 210
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-25-31-62.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-25-31-62.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 237
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-25-53-05.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-25-53-05.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 205
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-27-33-83.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-27-33-83.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 189
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-28-36-18.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-28-36-18.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 194
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-29-03-43.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-29-03-43.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 215
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-31-12-63.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-31-12-63.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 210
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-31-30-77.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-31-30-77.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 206
Race2 - Lime Rock Mountain

Quallied down in P8 - as is becoming usual, both my fastest laps of the night were in the Race sessions.

Got decent start, took over P7. First up I encountered Avi, again some really close, flat out racing. He went a little wide exiting the complex, giving me a run on him to the uphill righthander, and I managed to put myself on the inside there, and got it to stick. Next up was Amir, where I was closing only by tiny steps. That same uphill right hander, caught his front left, throwing him out to the right, and letting me past.

I had a little bit of an excursion on the faster of the two downhill right handers allowing Abdul to catch right up. I had decided to try and pit nice and early to try and get some good laps in on some relatively fresh tyres while everyone else was either looking to carry on on some second hand rubber, or get in and change their older tyres for some cold ones.

I suspect that would have worked out well, if I hadn't braked well too late for my attempted pit, and missed the entrance, allowing Abdul to be right up my chuff for the next lap. :D

Next time round, I brake early enough to make it, allowing Abdul through but then another mini-catastrophe. GTL doesn't have an arrow to show you to your pit garage, it has a nice man in headphones. The quirk here is that he doesn't appear until you cross the pit limit line.

Suffice it to say, I was in the very first pit stall, meaning I overshot and had to reverse into it. I chose to change all 4 tyres, the usage I had been getting until that point meant I didn't want huge oversteer if I changed the fronts only, or understeer if I changed the backs, so I took the extra 10 sec on the chin, and exited the pits dead last.

Over the next few laps, I stuck in some good laps, including 3 consecutive (for me) fastest laps, and once the pitstops had finished, I was in P4, about 14 sec behind Croucher - which it stayed until the end. I didn't have time to curse my pitstop based shenanigans, though as Abdul, who had pitted a few laps after me made his new rubber tell in the last 4 laps. He closed right up on me, and we were back where we were in Race 1 for the last 3 or so laps. On the last lap, we were coming down the hill into the hairpin, I suspected he'd try something there. I'd been tight on the inside for all the previous laps and he'd been looking to the outside. I decided to change what he was expecting and moved wide, ahead by a car's length. I braked as normal, he braked much later. I couldn't cut across to the inside, but I knew he'd never be able to hold that under control without some corrective measures and some sliding, so I braked a bit longer than normal, switched back behind him to the inside and was on the accelerator much earlier, and took the place back. I managed to hold it until the end for P4.

Again some brilliant racing, thanks to all who showed up.

As I say - the car & track choice is one you can't get wrong, so the game did most of the work. :D

Some Pics (liveries same as race1):-

1. Croucher & Amir close, stalked by David, chased by the pack - Sam & Knut are out in front already
2. Me chasing Avi
3. My move into the Mountain Turn
4. Amir falling foul of the cambered edge
5. Some Israeli bumpage - Amir, left & Avi, right
6. Abdul goes for the gap
7. I switch back as he tries to settle it down
8. The net result
9. I nick this one
10. Sam holding on from Knut for the win

Attachments

• GTL-2009-06-07-10-35-55-48.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-35-55-48.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 229
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-37-19-23.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-37-19-23.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 211
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-38-58-18.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-38-58-18.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 212
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-40-55-30.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-40-55-30.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 236
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-43-04-92.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-43-04-92.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 208
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-51-45-13.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-51-45-13.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 219
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-52-21-08.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-52-21-08.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 202
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-52-24-61.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-52-24-61.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 235
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-53-15-27.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-53-15-27.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 215
  • GTL-2009-06-07-10-55-27-58.jpg
    GTL-2009-06-07-10-55-27-58.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 205
Another excellent night's racing for which I thank Stuart and all the competitors.

Race 1 was reasonably uneventful once I got into the lead because of the guys fighting behind meant they were having to take non optimal lines and I could run my own pace but Race 2 was a different matter, took the lead off the line but Knut was never more than a second behind me and that meant the draft was working to his advantage on the long straight, he took fastest lap, left my pitting until 3 quarter distance and only changed rears but I took a wee bit longer than I should have faffing about in the pit menu and it meant I was just in front of Knut again when I left, had to take some VERY deffensive lines to keep him behind too, especially in the final corner of the final lap where I clipped the inside kerb and had visions of him flying past on the run to the line, managed to hold on for the win though it was hard work, only time I got a rest was after Knut pitted and up until my pit, great clean and fair racing again guys.

thanks

Sam

Well that report Stuart has everything. Brilliant read. I was coming up with some pictures of the race but you also covered that. It was a joy racing. I totally loved every minute of it. Cortina is one classic beauty. The amazing thing is the FFB in this game is way much better than GTR Evo. Feedback from the car was excellent. And you bugger, you tricked me in Lime Rock Mountain lol. As soon as I hit the brakes I knew I was caught off guard. Luckily I controlled the car to hit the apex behind you and the chance was on again.

THe flow of Lime Rock sprint race is amazing. It was bumper to bumper and its like I knew what you were gonna do and where you were gonna brake. Fantastic race. Thanks guys. Weekdays will be hard to join you all in the events as I finish work at 10pm. Looking forward to the next event on Sat already.

Abdul

One of the things I've just sort of realised - Lime Rock Mountain laptimes are up at nearly 2 minutes.

There's no way the laps as I'm driving them feel that long to me. Anyone else feel the same, or is this just more evidence in the case of me being a big old mental?

Forgot to ask... does anyone know why I might sometimes get a virtual mirror (which display everything opposite to how it should be) and my gauges missing sometimes? Damned annoying.
Sorry Cam - just seen this.

Occasionally the gauges disppear from me too, if I restart or something during testing - generally hitting the "3" key brings them back

The mirrors - that, I've never seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back