Converting a Qually set-up to a Race set-up

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
Hey all, wasn't sure whether to post this in the set-up section, (feel free to move it)

I'm not the best at making set-ups, despite playing sims for around 5 years. I've tried my best and can make a half decent qually set-up for most tracks in GT3 cars.
However, no matter what adjustments I make, I cannot for the life of me create a stable race set-up, capable of 20+ lap races without instability. My qually set-ups will grab me pole, but thew instability of the set-up, due to it being as quick as possible over a short burst, means I am constantly making errors while trying to get into a rhythm, simply because the set-up is an animal to control over a long period.

If anyone can drop me some pointers about what adjustments to make to a set-up to make it more stable and suitable for race conditions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ross.

The best way is to make a race setup from the begining !

Well i would most likely start by reducing tyres stress i.e softer springs/ARB and dampers !
Higher ride height (due to to the higher fuel load) ! Longer first gears for better traction !

@Ross Balfour
Hi Ross, try the following for a stable race setup (detriments and sideffects are manyfold and not listed; list is in no particular order except first bullet point):
  • modify your qualli setup, don't start a new one
  • decrease front /rear camber for braking stability
  • increase coast differential for braking stability
  • reduce rear ARB
  • play with first-bound and -rebound to increase grip and grip distibution on smooth /bumpy tracks
  • increase rear toe for braking and straight line stability, be careful - toe settings away from zero have grave effects and make you slower
  • increase front ARB for high speed corner stability and reliabilty
  • turn brake bias to the front for braking stability
  • play with Acceleration differential for tweeking under- / oversteer out of tight corners
  • don't mess with tyre pressure too much - grip levels, under- or oversteer corrections should be handled chiefly by the suspension settings
  • make sure your racing-tyre temperatures are optimal - the corresponding list and effects are in the guide below

For much more info check out my setup guide: link

@Ross Balfour
Hi Ross, try the following for a stable race setup (detriments and sideffects are manyfold and not listed; list is in no particular order except first bullet point):
  • reduce rear ARB
  • play with first-bound and -rebound to increase grip and grip distibution on smooth /bumpy tracks
  • increase rear toe for braking and straight line stability, be careful - toe settings away from zero have grave effects and make you slower
  • play with Acceleration differential for tweeking under- / oversteer out of tight corners
  • don't mess with tyre pressure too much - grip levels, under- or oversteer corrections should be handled chiefly by the suspension settings
  • make sure your racing-tyre temperatures are optimal - the corresponding list and effects are in the guide below

Ok after several days of fiddling about in converting set-ups, I've noticed a few positive changes (mainly in ARB tweaks), however my fundamental error occurs after tyres becomes slightly worn, and I break and turn in corners where that is required (Maggots/Becketts for example) and I completely lose the rear and spin under braking... what setting would I adjust to ensure this doesn't occur.

Thanks in advance! :)

Thanks both you guys, the rear rebound made a huge huge difference and now my car feels super stable. Ran a 20lap race tonight and stayed on track within 0.5 of my times the entire way.

Cannot thank yous enough! :thumbsup:

@Ross Balfour
  • reduce rear ARB

Thanks for this. Can you please correct the link? Thanks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back