• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Converting a Qually set-up to a Race set-up

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Ross Balfour, May 15, 2014.

1. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour
    #99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

Ratings:
    +197
    Hey all, wasn't sure whether to post this in the set-up section, (feel free to move it)

I'm not the best at making set-ups, despite playing sims for around 5 years. I've tried my best and can make a half decent qually set-up for most tracks in GT3 cars.
    However, no matter what adjustments I make, I cannot for the life of me create a stable race set-up, capable of 20+ lap races without instability. My qually set-ups will grab me pole, but thew instability of the set-up, due to it being as quick as possible over a short burst, means I am constantly making errors while trying to get into a rhythm, simply because the set-up is an animal to control over a long period.

If anyone can drop me some pointers about what adjustments to make to a set-up to make it more stable and suitable for race conditions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ross.

2. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim

Ratings:
    +569
    The best way is to make a race setup from the begining !

Well i would most likely start by reducing tyres stress i.e softer springs/ARB and dampers !
    Higher ride height (due to to the higher fuel load) ! Longer first gears for better traction !

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert

Ratings:
    +691
    @Ross Balfour
    Hi Ross, try the following for a stable race setup (detriments and sideffects are manyfold and not listed; list is in no particular order except first bullet point):
    • modify your qualli setup, don't start a new one
    • decrease front /rear camber for braking stability
    • increase coast differential for braking stability
    • reduce rear ARB
    • play with first-bound and -rebound to increase grip and grip distibution on smooth /bumpy tracks
    • increase rear toe for braking and straight line stability, be careful - toe settings away from zero have grave effects and make you slower
    • increase front ARB for high speed corner stability and reliabilty
    • turn brake bias to the front for braking stability
    • play with Acceleration differential for tweeking under- / oversteer out of tight corners
    • don't mess with tyre pressure too much - grip levels, under- or oversteer corrections should be handled chiefly by the suspension settings
    • make sure your racing-tyre temperatures are optimal - the corresponding list and effects are in the guide below

For much more info check out my setup guide: link

• Beer Beer x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Ratings:
    +197
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll make a few tweaks and let you know what happens!

5. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Ratings:
    +197
    Ok after several days of fiddling about in converting set-ups, I've noticed a few positive changes (mainly in ARB tweaks), however my fundamental error occurs after tyres becomes slightly worn, and I break and turn in corners where that is required (Maggots/Becketts for example) and I completely lose the rear and spin under braking... what setting would I adjust to ensure this doesn't occur.

Thanks in advance! :)

6. Qazdar Karim

Qazdar Karim

Ratings:
    +569
    more diff cost may help, play with rebound settings to control weight transfer !

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert

Ratings:
    +691
    @Ross Balfour
    brake bias mainly
    it's very effective
    or change your gear down as late as possible, you'll have a shorter braking distance, because of motor braking

• Beer Beer x 1
  8. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour

Ratings:
    +197
    Thanks both you guys, the rear rebound made a huge huge difference and now my car feels super stable. Ran a 20lap race tonight and stayed on track within 0.5 of my times the entire way.

Cannot thank yous enough! :thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  9. JoelGL

JoelGL

Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for this. Can you please correct the link? Thanks.

10. Michael Carver

Michael Carver

Ratings:
    +57
    • Like Like x 1