Controller mod to assign a separate button for each manual gear?

Hey guys!
Just learned about and installed RBR, and I'm VERY excited...haha which is funny because I'm just at the first tutorial so far. Please forgive me if what I'm looking for already exists, I've searched a lot and came up empty. Please simply point me there and WOOHOO! :D

When driving a car in real life, who looks at an indicator to see which gear you're in? Maybe tip-tronic drivers do, but I'm used to just my good ol' gearbox, which I don't have to look at :) What I'm biting my nails here in excitement for, is the idea of being able to map the numpad buttons on my keyboard to different gears, so #7 for 1st gear, #4 for 2nd, #8 for 3rd, #5 for 4th, #9 for 5th, #6 for 6th gear, and i suppose #1 for reverse and 2 for neutral.

I'm currently living off a laptop which isn't the greatest for sim, but I would LOVE this type of feature/plugin/mod!! Does anybody know if it's possible, or already exists, or can exist? I've never made a mod before, but if it sounds doable for a newbie, I'd be thrilled to make it! Any help would be GREAT! :D

I guess it could be called "8 button gearbox mod"

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea