Construction halted on Texas GP Track

Chris Butcher

Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion
Construction of the 2012 United States Grand Prix track has been halted after the circuit's owners said they have not yet been granted a contract to stage the race.

Circuit of The Americas officials in Austin, Texas, said workers had been told to down tools while they await confirmation from Formula 1 officials. "The failure to deliver race contracts gives us great concern," they said.

On Saturday F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone cast doubt on the Texas race. "Local businesses, fans and the State of Texas are counting on us," added Red McCombs, a founding group partner.

In a separate announcement it was confirmed that public funds would not be used to be pay for the development of the track. "Let me state clearly: We have not paid out any money for the Formula 1 event," said Susan Combs from Texas Public Accounts. "The only dollars that can be spent on the United States Grand Prix are tax revenues attributable to the successful running of a race. The state of Texas will not be paying any funds in advance of the event."

The United States last hosted a grand prix at Indianapolis in 2007, but Ecclestone has long been seeking a new venue to bring the sport back to one of its biggest markets. In 2010, Ecclestone announced that a purpose-built circuit would be constructed near Austin and would host the US Grand Prix until 2021. But last week US Grand Prix circuit chiefs were left bemused when he cast doubt on next year's race, describing negotiations as "an uphill struggle".

Source: BBC Sport (full story here)

Can anything happen in the U.S without a drama? It's easy, build the track, fund the race. Simple. How come Silverstone's been doing it for 70 years and Texas can't manage once?

Ok, so Silverstone was a bad example. How about Korea, Singapore, Abu Dhabi. All managed to build a track and pay for the race, even if they made a massive loss (korea) I think F1 needs to be in a southern state, that's where the racing fans are and thats where the money will be. That or Detroit.

Most people class "The Southern States" as Louisianna, Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, etc. A.K.A Nascar country.
I don't think this would be a good move for Formula One. This is probably the poorest region of the USA.

I agree with Luke, California would be much better equipped to host a race.
Then you could have the East Coast and West Coast GPs.

Im not surprised as an American about this.

It mos def looks like a great track, the problem is the lack of audience....its retarded...why pick Texas?

I rather have a street circuit in New Jersey, Miami or even the streets of New York City.

as an American, this is a shame....i hate NASCAR....makes us look bad than we already are...terrible motor sport.

This will be a huge disappointment for me if there is no race. Really looked forward to the race. Don't know why America does this. First it was team US F1, and now this. It's like they go into this stuff on a whim and then realize they bit off more than they can chew and we all get let down... ;_;

Im not surprised as an American about this.

It mos def looks like a great track, the problem is the lack of audience....its retarded...why pick Texas?

I rather have a street circuit in New Jersey, Miami or even the streets of New York City.

as an American, this is a shame....i hate NASCAR....makes us look bad than we already are...terrible motor sport.

Then you'll be happy to learn that one of the reasons the Austin track is cancelled is because New Jersey got hosting rights.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will weep about yet another ****ty street race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%