F1 2013 Connection issues. Please help!

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi

I am using F1 2013 for XBOX 360. I have had the game since it came out, and when I first got the game, there were no issues with connections (apart from the odd disconnection every now and then)

But now, things have changed, I'm experiencing connection issues so frequently recently. In one of the leagues I race in, I had 3 disconnections in a row, one of them I couldn't even join the lobby! And it's not just happening in this league, it's happening in every league I race in, constant connection issues. At first I thought it was to do with our connection.

So I tried everything. I tried disconnecting my PC from the network, I tried making sure it is connected to the network in the best possible way, I tried an Ethernet cable, no difference. We discovered my internet was fine and it was nothing to do with my internet, especially when I did a speedtest and saw it was fine.

Our next thought was it might be the XBOX's connection to the network. So, as I mentioned earlier, I tried an ethernet cable, no difference. We checked the XBOX's connection to the network, all fine. So it's not to do with that.

I'm not assuming it's the game because there are some people who don't have as good a connection as I do who are not having any problems.

I need this sorted ASAP because in my league race I have tomorrow, I need points because I haven't scored points in the last 4 races due to connection issues and I am unable to attend next week's race, so I urgently need this sorted ASAP.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if it's the same on consoles, but isn't the connection quality restricted by who is hosting the lobby?

Crappy host network = crappy game for you ......

A good recommendation for any game on any platform, never play across Wi-Fi connections and keep your ping as low as possible (shared connection with other users when playing = asking for trouble). I don't care how many people say 'But I play OK on my Wi_Fi' ..... I would never do it, I will only use a wired connection, :)

I'm waiting for Li-Fi ....... internet in every room via your light bulbs :D

I just mentioned it because you said "I tried an Ethernet cable", which implies that you use Wi-Fi normally, which generally isn't a good idea.for gaming :)

Unless you meant ......"tried a new Ethernet cable" ......

The other networking things that are pretty standard, are to disable (at least temporarily) any software firewall, and try port forwarding specifically for the game in the your router/modem.

We have two grids in our league atm. One gird is not having very many problems with connection issues (the odd lag here and there) but the other grid is inundated with them.
I've been reading on other league forums and CM has been made aware of the issue and are currently looking to fix it. This extreme lag issue and d/c issue appears to be xbox only.
Hatta has confirmed on another forum that they have been able to reproduce the issue and are working on a fix, but it might take a few weeks.

Ok this is serious now! Just had another connection issue in a league and i couldnt even start the race! Fifth disconnection this season in 12 races! I don't know, I have an ethernet cable and when my brother's on the xbox with other games, his connection is absolutely fine, and as I said before, I have an ethernet cable active and everything. And my network is fine, here's my speedtest result!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3208222413

So what is the problem then, surely it can't be the game, cos then it would be happening to every1 else and it isn't. Someone else disconnected but it wasn't like the fifth time this season it's happened to him. 5 in one season is clearly no coincidence, something is wrong. I need to work out what it is so I can sort it for next week, and I didn't have these problems before.

PLEASE HELP ME cos I am desperate to get my league racing career back on track, I want to be able to go into each race thinking about my strategy and how I am going to do this particular race rather than worry that I'm going to have a stupid disconnection!

Last edited:
Yes and it's the same with every host.

Also Stephen Hood tweeted that the connection in the lobbies isn't to do with the host, it's a peer to peer thing.

have you tried different hosts? it might make a difference, but then again it might not.

apparently codemasters are working on it..... hopefully they will sort it soon.

What is clear is Codemasters need to take action on this for sure, but it's not just to do with the game. If it's not happening to some people who don't have as good internet connection as me, there is clearly something wrong on my end. Does anyone have any idea what it might be

What is clear is Codemasters need to take action on this for sure, but it's not just to do with the game. If it's not happening to some people who don't have as good internet connection as me, there is clearly something wrong on my end. Does anyone have any idea what it might be

If you had a license I would invite you to one of our own grids, where do you live? and where is most of your league drivers from. Connection issues tend to be from random invites. Here is something I wrote on it before.

When I host I always invite the strongest connection first, usually I wait till he joins the lobby before inviting the next strongest connection. I feel this makes a much safer connection for the whole lobby. As I live in Ireland I always start with my nearest neighbor invite British drivers first then Belgium, Polish, Italian, American and Canadian in that order. This takes a little bit longer to do as sometimes your waiting on drivers to come online. But its well worth it. Wired connection is also your best bet against disconnects. Inviting people into a lobby at random from different parts of the world is not a good idea. Your host should have a wired connection and the best speed.
That's my advice.

The person who hosted yesterday was one of my mates who only lives about a mile away from me so I should have been the person with the best connection

If you had a license I would invite you to one of our own grids, where do you live? and where is most of your league drivers from. Connection issues tend to be from random invites. Here is something I wrote on it before.

When I host I always invite the strongest connection first, usually I wait till he joins the lobby before inviting the next strongest connection. I feel this makes a much safer connection for the whole lobby. As I live in Ireland I always start with my nearest neighbor invite British drivers first then Belgium, Polish, Italian, American and Canadian in that order. This takes a little bit longer to do as sometimes your waiting on drivers to come online. But its well worth it. Wired connection is also your best bet against disconnects. Inviting people into a lobby at random from different parts of the world is not a good idea. Your host should have a wired connection and the best speed.
That's my advice.
per

If you mean fixed IP on your LAN then that's a good idea. If you need to use port forwarding for your XBox, you usually can only forward a port to single internal LAN network address.

If you have disconnected the XBox and next time you re-connect it, and it gets a new LAN IP then that's your port forwarding null and void.

There are so many routers, but on my one if I connect a device and it gets an automatic IP address assigned, and can just tell the router to reserve that address for that same device (MAC Address) in the future. So all my phones, tablets, NAS Storage etc. are always on the same LAN IP.

As to the XBox ports :-

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
Note If you cannot chat with someone using Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).

Source page for the above, and additional info here

It's alright now it's solved, and I'll explain how I sorted it out in case anyone else has problems like I did.

Basically my ethernet cable was connected to an airport express which connects to a hub that connects to the main hub, and I think the first update didn't like the complexity of this, so I kept disconnecting. What I did was bought an ethernet cable that connects to the MAIN HUB and I've not had any connection issues of any kind since that race where I couldn't even start the race in one of my leagues.

So my suggestion to everyone is DO NOT USE AIRPORT EXPRESS FOR F1 2013 ON XBOX. With F1 2012 it was fine but it wasn't with F1 2013.

It's alright now it's solved, and I'll explain how I sorted it out in case anyone else has problems like I did.

Basically my ethernet cable was connected to an airport express which connects to a hub that connects to the main hub, and I think the first update didn't like the complexity of this, so I kept disconnecting. What I did was bought an ethernet cable that connects to the MAIN HUB and I've not had any connection issues of any kind since that race where I couldn't even start the race in one of my leagues.

So my suggestion to everyone is DO NOT USE AIRPORT EXPRESS FOR F1 2013 ON XBOX. With F1 2012 it was fine but it wasn't with F1 2013.
What is Airport Express?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back