WIP Complex String By Bleek (rf1 & Simbin Titles)

Ive loved Complex String since I first tried GT3 & bought 2copies of it before I finally got my own PS2...
I got BTB a while back & tried a couple of times to build it & failed.
I tried a quick private conversion of it from GPL (made by Madcowie) to rF some time ago but didn't like it at all being not long enough & (I felt) too easy, plus it just wasn't the same...
At some stage I read Nui had started a version of it for rF from scratch & forgot about his WIP thread at rFc at the time which has since been released...
A while back (between having forgotten Nui's WIP & his release) I started another version of it in BTB after having spent close to 2 years building a pair of long tracks (1x33km & 1x84km) as well as doing odd-jobs on other peoples tracks felt that I should attempt something smaller....
Ive since gotten a fair way with it but halted again briefly to build an even shorter track which is to be released shortly (2km/1.3ml Port Wakefield, South Australia) & so in the last week or so started to play with it again...
My premiss for the track is that it is to have a road surface as closely representative of the original Gran Tourismo3 release with no extra cambers, lumps or bumps that weren't originally there.
I'll also be trying to place ripple strips & walls in as close a proximity to the original as well BUT the terrain/landscape will be different &, more importantly I feel, there will be 2 small peices of track added so that it can also be run as 2 shortened versions in a 'Club-Day' kind of guise...
The following screenies are a little dated as Ive now started adding walls & the sand texture is slowly being replaced...

A GPL loading screen I found on the net somewhere to base the build upon as a start....
ComplexString.jpg

How it was looking a short time ago as a wire frame in BTB....
ComplexString7c.jpg

Looking down the main strait....
ComplexString8a.jpg

'Close-up' of the second 'Club-Day' pits....
ComplexString7.jpg

Over looking second pits with a better view of the track....
ComplexString8b.jpg

And finally for now, the addition that allows the running of the 2 smaller tracks....
ComplexString7a.jpg

There will also, eventually, be reverse versions of each of the 3 layouts available.

This project will be my only GT track that I can see myself building for now & Im sticking to using standard Xpacks & textures as much as possible.
The 3 layout lap lengths are the original 11km's, 4.67km for 'Shorter1' & 6.5km for 'Short Too'.
Only Short Too! uses the second pits.

My own favourite was the 7liter GT40 & all aids turned off...
I had it down to 4:09.154 for an untidy lap & 4:10.845 for a neat one....
My other favourite was the same car on the wet R5, I think at one stage I was giving them a count of 10 or 15 seconds headstart....
I'll see how the build of Complex String goes as Im thinking of trying out that RFE weather plug in thing & then later, who knows, maybe an rF2 version...
I DO know however that there won't be the amount of tree walls like there is with the original & the armco barriers I am using have that F1 style mesh above them....
As soon as I can find or possibly make (if I REALLY have to) a suitable red & white S/Object ripple-strip I'll then see about posting a video clip....

While the track is nicely done and a worthy addition to rFactor, boy is THIS what people raved about in GT on the playstation? It is quite a slow and tedious type of track in most cars! :) The Ring has nothing to worry about.. :)

While the track is nicely done and a worthy addition to rFactor, boy is THIS what people raved about in GT on the playstation? It is quite a slow and tedious type of track in most cars! :) The Ring has nothing to worry about.. :)

I don't know why, but it always seemed much faster, wider and more flowing to me in GT. I know that there was a BTB Complex String released a while back (Nui's version?) and tried it out, but I was surprised at how small-scale it was. It was probably not scaled right... I definitely remember the track in GT being anything but slow and tedious!

I'll try this one when it's released and see how it compares.

:poop::poop::poop:
Just realized a large mistake in the track....
And Im not sure if I want to fix it either but then that would spoil my thought of making the track surface it self as close to the original as possible...
As you can see from the last picture posted above I made the track with a double left for turns 12 & 13...(Red circle in picture below)
ComplexString-1.jpg

Where as it SHOULD be one continuous bend....
This is after I went to all the trouble a while back to correct turns 25 & 26 from whats inside the Blue circle to how the original was...
So...should I or shouldn't I change this latest find?
It would probably mean a couple of days of sporadic work to do...
After watching this clip many times I finally spotted the discrepancy;
GRRRR!
Talk about shattered!

What did strike me is that you have created very smooth banked corners, so if it is any help, you did very well there. Often banked corners, but especially the 'lead in' and 'lead out' are done badly so you have the skills! :)

Found out after all this time that the hills are in the wrong spot...
The bit between the corners/bends should be raised so the car lands sideways leading into the next bend...
This is going to require quite a bit to mend & I'll end up loosing most of that cutting effect around the 'box-corner' section...
As I REALLY like that bit of work Im going to make a limited release of the track shortly before I tear that section apart for fixing...
Thanks for the compliments Neils, greatly appreciated!

@ Rhys- Yes, Nui's was a bit short...
Around 6km's long from memory after looking at the AIW for it a while back...
This is the full length & 12or13meters wide...

A couple of quick pic's in game with Fazerbox's Track Map addon.....

ComplexStringLongun_zps1eaf5cca.jpg

ComplexStringShortOne_zps03549567.jpg

ComplexStringShortToo_zps0f305881.jpg

Ive been meaning to make a quick 'beta' release but keep adding bit's & bob's without actually doing anything to fix the hills yet....
So instead try this, feedback would be appreciated...
I still haven't found a nice gravel trap texture yet so it's still stoney river rock, most walls are place holders-especially the red & white ones & some of the Blue Tire-walls.
The hill section still hasn't been fixed so the mountain along the back of the track hasn't been finished yet...
Ive got some nice gum trees to plant around the inside of that armco/mesh fence & hang over parts of it...
Im still trying to find some nice basic grand stands & make some pit buildings as well....
I hope you all enjoy it, now I can flatten & reshape those jumps....LoL:D

http://www.mediafire.com/?oyi7hsebyml0vto

I've given the full layout a go in various cars. I have to say, it's going very well... I'm getting that GT3 feeling back already. The only bits of feedback I can give right now are concerning the kerb size (a little narrow for my liking and compared to GT3, but this is a personal thing), the surrounding terrain (feels a bit barren, lifeless and lonely) and the hills on the back section (the crests seem way too sharp and seem to spit my car off no matter how slowly and carefully I take them).
I know that a few of these issues are already being worked on, but yeah, that's what I think so far... looking forward to the next version!

I was going to send a link & a note to you guys that had shown previous interest in the thread but thought that might have been a bit forward of me....:redface:
Even though Im usually honest & up-front to the point of being blunt at times I don't like to impose myself on others either....but anyway.....
Thanks for the feedback Rhys, greatly appreciated!
Yeah, those ripple strips (if thats what you meant by kerbs/curbs) are a bit narrow but that what Im stuck with (for now at least) as I wanted a proper 3D ripple strip instead of just a texture with a rumble effect assigned to it to give that proper bounce & spit out of corners when hit right...
My thought has always been that a ripple strip should be a punishment for running wide (just like sand traps) rather than a 'get out of gaol free card' that it would have been using the other method....
I am giving consideration to making one of my own with better width using another texture in the Xpacks but I've still yet to succeed in making an Xpack completely on my own & it's not really a priority at the moment as I have Port Wakefield to finish decorating & some rebuilding here of Complex to do beforehand & then there's my other tracks sitting on the back-burner AND a couple of odd-jobs Im REALLY should've done by now on other folks tracks (Mount Arrowsmith & Cannonball Run's AIW's....)
There's always more & more to do once we start this great game of modding...LoL!

Oh, & the barren, lifeless landscape Im hoping will end up with LOTS of gum trees & 2D crowds everywhere & a few mini-grandstands at strategic points around the circuit....
Those large fences are more to keep broken tree branches & drunks off the road:D
Where as GT3's version looked to me like a secretive test center, Im hoping to go for a large club track that could easily handle F1 but can't be bothered pandering to Bernie & his cohorts....;)
OR, what Townsville SHOULD have had, rather than that crappy street circuit that only the V8's & their mates get to use....

I've gotta say this track although still in WIP is pretty good. The last time i drove GT's CS was back in 2005 but this is a good reproduction of the OG version. I only tried the full version with Audi S5, BMW 135i and the PCC 07 car, Was there even various layouts in GT3? i don't remember but i will have to give them a go.

This track and Grand Valley so far imo are the best reproductions that are out for sims, i'm looking forward to the finished version. Nice work Lee :thumbsup:

I hope a version will be released for GTL and GTR2.

Gday Hiroshi,
Thanks for the compliments, it's a real boost in confidence to finish tackling fixing that hill section!:inlove::roflmao:
There never was the shorter versions in GT3.
I always used to look at the track map & think of how one would go about breaking it up into smaller circuits to make a real version more viable by being able to run multiple circuits at once for track days, this seemed the easiest way & offers a couple of extra challenges that are not available in the original layout....
Approached in the forward direction of each, the fast kink & then 90degree left after the multiple flat S-bends of 'Short1' means trying to get car stable enough again before hard braking while still being quick through the first part.
With 'Short Too' the double left after the hill section taken at speed can only be taken properly with a fair amount of drift....
I like race drift as apposed to competitive drifting (show-boating with judges I call it!:p ) which is probably why I like the older style of race cars & tracks...
I look forward to feedback on the two shorter versions.
Im definitely planning on releasing this in as many formats as possible including, in time, (IF it is of high enough quality) rF2 & Asseto Corsa as well as all of the SimBin titles...:cautious:
rF1's new weather plug-in may even make an appearance yet too!
Now to get back to work on it....:)

I've finally tried out the shorter courses, sorry i took so long i've been hooked on GTR2 lately. The different layouts are pretty good i must say, it's nice having the varied courses instead of just the one variation.

I'm just not getting the flat esses and the hilly esses right :( on saying this i never really got them down on GT either :roflmao:

I so want to try this track on GTR2, i have so many awesome mods that i want to try on this track.

After several false starts, a couple of days work & a long time thinking about it I can finally say Ive managed to 'fix' the hill section to something close to original!

http://www.mediafire.com/?2vxubfhvbg4tvt9

Please try & give me some feedback thanks.
I'll let it stall here most likely for now & if the consensus is that it's OK I'll get on with decorating & try & finish this thing!:roflmao:
Cheers, hope yerz like it,
BLeeK

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 135 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%