Comparison of 2013 and 2014 F1 cars.

There is a nice video here, watch it in the site (to keep my conscience clear of linking pics): http://m.auto-motor-und-sport.de/video/f1-technik-reglement-2014-im-video-7913407.html Then return here to discuss.

Formel-1-Technik-Reglement-2014-Piola-Animation-Video-fotoshowmobile-f5eec2db-737924.jpg

New front cross section. What this means is that the underside airflow is more restricted but not by much. Bigger change is going to happen on the suspension setup: the pushrod setup will change to pullrod. Engineers working on suspension will love it as it provides lower Center of Gravity. Mechanics will hate that as that means a lot of the job will be made lying in their backs and the access is a lot harder. 2013 chassis was just a hair away to make it pullrod but it was deemed too high for the geometry to really work.

Front wing width change is minimal. It makes a small section of the tire to be exposed to airflow but i'll expect it's not going to be a problem. How the brakeducts react to that change is interesting to see, do teams have revert back to "tube" form like shown in the pic or can they stay with the current shape that requires very precise airflow control.

Widening the sidepod cooling ducts is a small but important change. I think this is more than what the frontwing change is going to be. You can see pretty clearly that the whole outside, "vertical" part of the pods are now in the turbulent air behind the tire. Teams can't use the clean air anymore to keep and separate the turbulent air on the lower part of the pods where it "sticks" and it is then used to feed the diffuser with coanda exhausts.

Coanda exhaust will be removed but i'm not satisfied with the exhaust exit. It should be even further back. Even when teams are forced to use single round pipe with nothing inside it, they might still try to aim the gasses downwards (edit: the monkey seat remains, that's really bad news..). Most likely this won't work but you never know what Newey comes up. If the exit point would be further back where the current crash crumble zone and wet light is, there would be no danger of engine creating any downforce.

Rear wing has all the monkey seats and secondary wings removed which was pretty much mandatory with the exhaust change(edit: some kind of monkey seat is still allowed, which worries me a LOT as it sits DIRECTLY after exhaust). The double vertical reinforcements shown in the video are not allowed in the regulations, they would need to be before the exhaust exit. DRS gets a reduction that should fit better to the "push-to-pass" nature of the new energy recovery systems.

There has been some speculation that stepped noses will not vanish.. There is a loop hole in the regulation. Basically, the dimensions of the nose can make a narrow stump going directly from front bulkhead to the tip of the nose.. I've seen drawings and it's even uglier than the current platypus design.. It allows more air to pass to the floor and around sidepods. FIA should learn that if they want to force a decision, they need to define it very clearly and stay away from easy-to-sell one sentence rules.

EDIT: Found a pic from Scarbs on that nose..
1384270378.jpg

If you haven't yet read Scarbs blog, go there now. You can find some golden stuff like this drawing:
2014_draft.jpg

Last edited:
In a the crashtest video of Caterham we can have a small glimpse on the tip of the nose:
nose.png

On the video it looks that the tip of the nose is straight, not going up, so there would be a huge "mountain" after it, similar to this concept:

3f552ca6-1024x576.jpg

or am i wrong? :p

It's not exactly a comparison but I had some free time so I made some interpretations on next years noses.

The first one is the original one from Autosport that has a narrow extension piece to make the nose lower while maximising the air flow under the car.
The second one is just a basic low nose that some teams might use but it doesn't allow a lot of air to go under the car like the first one does.
The third one is a bit like a late 80s/early 90s nose with the front wing attached straight to the nose. However, It allows almost no air to go under the car.
The fourth one I found on twitter, it has a "snow plough" that McLaren been using used but I don't know if would be legal or if it could even be considered the nose of the car.
The fifth one is my own design which is basically like the second one but narrower and there are little "vents" on the side to direct the air under the car.
The last one is like the Williams 2004 nose but a bit narrower. The shape is a bit different from the second one but aerodynamically it should be quite similar.

q3j3.jpg

Last edited:
Cant really warm to any of the pictures there. A really important aspect of F1 for me is the sound and appearence of the cars. So far, from what I've heard and seen, the 2014 cars are well off my hopes and expectations.

It's not exactly a comparison but I had some free time so I made some interpretations on next years noses.

The first one is the original one from Autosport that has a narrow extension piece to make the nose lower while maximising the air flow under the car.
The second one is just a basic low nose that some teams might use but it doesn't allow a lot of air to go under the car like the first one does.
The third one is a bit like a late 80s/early 90s nose with the front wing attached straight to the nose. However, It allows almost no air to go under the car.
The fourth one I found on twitter, it has a "snow plough" that McLaren been using used but I don't know if would be legal or if it could even be considered the nose of the car.
The fifth one is my own design which is basically like the second one but narrower and there are little "vents" on the side to direct the air under the car.
The last one is like the Williams 2004 nose but a bit narrower. The shape is a bit different from the second one but aerodynamically it should be quite similar.

q3j3.jpg

I found some additional graphics in the inet.

1526966_639942122715765_1938307472_n.jpg
JFS3nXA.jpg
lfgj.jpg
1601172_724772880880023_1879057248_n.jpg
2014-f1-car-nose-2014-design---forum---f1technical.jpg

I also just read that Force India has a maverick hump.
Its not a stepped up nose anymore it is a stepped up cockpit. the hump is over the monocoque!

The ForceIndia should also have Telmex veeery clear visible on the car, and the colours.

And Andy green has some aerodynamical surprises...

---

Sounds crap tbh

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.3%