Comment: Tell Us Your Sim Racing 2017 Highlights...

To me, like @Martin Fiala, 2017 was getting into Sim Racing and joining RD.
It's not cheesy, but true. I had to stop racing a number of years back due to major lifetime events and now felt like I wanted to return, which I did and am all the better for it.
But, a little older than most of the members (possibly), slow to learn too, I felt that I may not stay at it as I was oh sooo slow!
A number or racers (you know who you are) took time out and have helped me and gradually I am improving and I know that I can be in the mid pack in 2018.

RD is a great place. We have some alien drivers and an awful amount of extremely fast drivers and one thing I note is the patience all these drivers give to someone still on the learning curve.
Not only me but others on the learning curve too. In the past, clubs and racing environments, drivers shout abuse and or knock you out the way but not in RD. This may be down to the strict rules, yes, but here, its just different. I like that.

Lastly, I want to thank all the staff and organisers for all their hard work in giving us this safe environment to race in.

Got to put this last bit in!! My 2018 wish is to join a team and race in a league. Will it happen? lets see.

Honestly, my highlight/ top moment of 2017 when it comes to sim racing was finding this wonderful community of fellow racers and having my first race on Hockenheim with GT3s.

Yes the weird internal battles regards "my sim is better than your sim" aside....its one of the better forums to visit.... We are sim racers as one....why divide down tribal lines PC / Console / PS4 / XBOX / PCars / AC / RRE / AMS / RF2............
Just wish more people would realize most normal simmers own all the sims and don't actually treat the whole thing as some battle.....Unite as one!!
WE ARE SIM RACERS....That is all that matters....

For me there were a couple big highlights. But they all revolve around me taking simracing a lot more seriously.

- Getting an iRacing subscription. This opened up the world of online racing instead of janky AI in most games. Though specially in lower class races it can still be a bit of a wreck fest. Once past that I had some of the most fantastic races I have ever had.

- My first race win in iRacing. And I'm not counting to one I had while racing with just rookies who crash a lot. Last week I had my first win and several podiums in the higher license classes. It was a fantastic feeling.

- Getting my oval A license in iRacing - This one happened last week and I'm very proud of it! Next up, Pro?

- Getting premium here at RD. While I have yet to get into league racing. I had some fantastic club races here at RD and everyone is always very friendly.

- Getting an upgraded wheel. Though technically this was in december 2016. I'm still counting it. After years of owning a Logitech Driving Force GT, the wheel died on me and I had to get a replacement. Going for a slight budget setup I went with the Thrustmaster T300RS. While I have some issues with it. It hasn't failed me during races and feels amazing. Definitely happy with that decision.

I think most of my highlights can be summarised into: Getting into online racing. Where hot lapping got boring and AI very predictable. Going online has opened up a whole new world. Should have done this years ago.
Hopefully I'll be able to join a league or two in 2018 and get an even better experience.

I have been racing here at RD now a few years, my highlight, like others years I have seen is the Brilliant Staff on this site! :notworthy:
I have seen RaceDepartment grow over the years and this year was an excellent year especially now with @Joseph Wright and his team in the commentary box with the live races :thumbsup:
@Paul Jeffrey work as editor has taken the site to new levels with his excellent articles and a few controversies(Project Cars 2 Review :whistling:)
But those are just two names in this community, all the staff deserve a mention for the work they put in behind the scenes and it is utterly appreciated by us mere racers :)
Anyway, enough brown nosing by me see you on track in 2018! :notworthy:

My highlight was seeing the revised GT3s released five months after being asked to take the reins of RaceRoom's physics. Seeing the community give us a collective thumbs up after months of hard work was something really special! Simply being asked to come onboard by J-F at Sector 3 was another highlight, as well as doing my first talk and drive stream with Paul.
A year full of positives!

My highlight was seeing the revised GT3s released five months after being asked to take the reins of RaceRoom's physics. Seeing the community give us a collective thumbs up after months of hard work was something really special! Simply being asked to come onboard by J-F at Sector 3 was another highlight, as well as doing my first talk and drive stream with Paul.
A year full of positives!

Enjoyed the talk and drives. Nice to here people talk about how usable modern race cars really are, they aren't all engineered at great expense to spit all but the very best off the tracks at a mere breath on the throttle....

In particular order:

- winning my first iRacing endurance race (Watkins 6 Hours) with a teammate whose first laps was during the race in the C7DP. We lapped everyone in that race. Led all but 2 laps over 6 hours. We were a bit lucky because we somehow didn't make it to top split even with just my iRating at the time (2700-2800) and got relegated to 2nd split.
- expanding my iRacing team
- befriending a real-life racecar driver, and having him wreck the car in the Bathurst 1000. Still bothering him on that one :p. But he's really down-to-earth and humble.
- helped out some beginning sim racers through practice sessions and tips. It's fun to teach others how to sim race and have fun.
- the rF2 GT3 pack and the Callaway Corvette is lovely
- the Metalmoro AJR in Automobilista, in particular the Judd V10 engine. Also am a big fan of Adelaide.
- I also figured out to get my settings right in rF2 and AMS because I had brake issues. So just racing them more was a win.
- RD premium subscription. Hopefully can run some races in 2018, time permitting.

rebuilt my rig
added usb fans, button box, usb hub, soundbar, 2.1 surround keyboard and mouse replacement.
Purchased dirt rally and project cars 2
Really enjoyed racing online over the past year on assetto corsa and project cars 2
loving gt3 racing more and more and has reignited a spark i had lost and has forced my hand at going to watch blancpain and other series

I was going to write getting VR, but realized that was in 2016 already...
For 2017...hmm
- getting the Fanatec F1 rim, finally
- win a PRL league season in the Audi R8 LMS 2016 with said rim
- going premium and having a few fun races here for the first time :)
- getting the Bonus pack 3 in AC before Christmas made the Holidays
- the news from Sim-expo (great interviews, Paul!) and reveal of Fanatec Podium series
- screens and videos from Lilski's Glen

Happy New Year everyone!

Luv
T

Last edited:
I would like to make a correction to an earlyer comment and critical remarc about the new r3r content and it's ffb physics. I purchased the porsche gt3 and gave it a go. At first i was dissapointed. After i set the steering lock and the field of view to my personal best, and adjusted some the ffb ,IT ROCKS. It now puts a big smile on my face. I am dutch, so forgive me if the spelling is no correct .

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back