Comment: Tell Us Your Sim Racing 2017 Highlights...

The first full year after building a purpose built PC brought me enjoyment beyond what I could have imagined and has led me to RD and the community that continues to open my eyes to what this hobby has done for me.
I have learned a great deal about settings to improve FOV, driver immersion and FFB. I have practiced the montra of 'In order to go fast you must first be able to do it slow' to improve my craft.
But the most important thing is the personal side some have been willing to share makes me think how fortunate I am to have this community as part of my extended family. I feel for one to truly heal from within, one must be willing to share their struggle and dealing with anxiety for decades I feel as this hobby and this community gives me that mindfulness I need sometimes to get to that place.
Happy New Year and thank you.
David

Well. couple of years ago, word was that simracing on PC was a dying breed - and the consoles would take over completely. 2017 has proven that completely wrong - Thank GOD for that. Only one luxury problem remains - So many cars, SO many tracks - SO frigging little time.
Thanks to all the developers and to all at RD for making this a fantastic racing year. I hope 2018 will be equally good for all of us.:)

My personal highlight of the year was the extremely controversial round 4 of the Automobilista time trial challenge during which the sim racing community showed its ugly face once again. The controversy started when one participant exposed an exploit in the track limit rules and it only got worse once another participant noticed that driving in reverse gear gave the Kart much better acceleration. The best part, however, was that I managed to win the round despite setting only a single timed lap all week.

Firstly thank again to Kunos for the immersive experience given by Assetto Corsa, a professional simulation with valuable new DLC and free content

Secondly, fall in love with Reiza and Automobilista: exclusive contents, Touring cars are so challenging and fun to drive, it remains me that 30 years ago I had a VW passat :)
As beta tester, make me immortal with my name in the game as a driver for Metalmoro ARJ

Spent too much money with "free to play" Race Room Experience but I recognize the quality of the physics and sounds

Disappointed with Dirt 4, was expecting much more after the fantastic Dirt Rally

Recognized that eventually F1 2017 is a must have for F1 enthusiast but frustation because still waiting for better wheel ffb

Noticing Rfactor2 move to DX11 and better graphics quality but still waiting for the promised UI improvement

Appreciate the progress made by Project Cars 2 and news contents such as Rallycross cars and tracks

No more hope to have KartKraft released, just happy to have been beta tester

Happy new year to all sim racers

Becoming a "Premium" member here, for what you get I find the cost astonishingly cheap ..think about it for a second ..able to race online every day of the week, all sims supported, organised and supervised by staff (they are giving up there free time) .. Driver Academy and so much more....

I can not thank R3E and @Alex Hodgkinson enough ...R3E for employing Alex and Alex working his pure magic (I call it magic because it is talent @ the highest level possible) on the GT3R pack.

hi guys
tl;dr version : i got to simracing in 2017:D

long version:
first 2017 simracing highlight for me was getting a g27 for free in march,before that i was not thinking about simracing as i was on my extreme-overclocking career with my friends and all of my money was spending there :D
accidentally i have found 14x g27 it in our warehouse, actually the warehouse of where i work, it has no owner and the company had no plan to sell them anymore as they ended relationship with logitech ,so i did take one for free (we works for gigabyte as a third party marketing base, also we work with logitech, well not logitech anymore XD ) i know it's not a great wheel as it seems but it was free and i'm an amateur :D
after that i start playing f12016 and ATS then i noticed that i have a game in my steam library that i completely forgot about it at that time _as it was not fun with gamepad for me in the past_ i'm talking about Assetto corsa and all its DLCs XD so i start dedicating time to learn driving properly(i hope!), then i joined rfactor2,RaceRoom and also iracing in june , getting B license (i'm still a rookie:D) in 1 month.
sorry for my bad english and my long highlight :D

the worst and sadest thing in 2017 simracing for me :
i was removed from an online league because they found out that i can only drive with one hand! and still feel bad about this because i was one of the safest drivers in their league (not the most competitive but i was racing in the midfield) with my one working hand , but they decide to trust what they see and it was me driving with one hand and it was not good....

also happy new year to all , with the best wishes

Last edited:
Many good moments for me - being a part of both the RDLMS and the RDGPC, I'd have to say my best moment was probably taking the car across the line at the end of the 24 hours of Le Mans race. Whilst we didn't win, or come even close due to a number of errors - the fact we even managed to finish the race is a huge achievement in itself. One I won't forget!

2017 was a year that got me into simracing and racing world in general, I got my wheel at the beggining of the year and started off slowly.

Biggest achievment formally? 2 league championships on Project CARS 1, one being Endurance league.
Biggest achievment for me? Probably meeting so many cool people and getting to race in awesome events.

I'd love to get into VEC in 2018/19, but I need rF2 first :D

For me it was definately me rediscovering how much fun R3E is and what i missed in other Sims/Games. Fortunately a lot of new content came out during the last quarter of the year which made it really enojyable. Cheers Sector3 for that.

2017 was the year I got to try out the current generation of sims, as I replaced (well supplemented really) my old WinXP PC for a shiny new Win10 machine. And to be honest it was something of a disappointment. The current generation have lots to offer - great graphics, VR, laser scanned tracks (in some cases) and a huge variety of cars, but for the offline AI racer like me, who prefers the old style "lets simulate a real racing championship" they can't replace my old favourites GT Legends and GTR2. I was gutted to hear that GTL2 development had stalled - hopefully someone (Simbin?) will pick up the torch and run with it.

pCARS1 got the least play of all my new games so it was a pleasant surprise to find I enjoyed driving pCARS2 (with Jack Spade's FFB) even with all its flaws and bugs So I'm looking forward to future patches and the DLC looks promising too.

Although its passive sim-racing, this year I bought a Chromecast for my TV and have started watching sim racing live streams and recorded races on TV. GamerMuscle is way better than East Enders :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%