Comment: Tell Us Your Sim Racing 2017 Highlights...

if you want to give us a nice New Year present then please feel free to hit the subscribe button
...Just subscribed again for another year to this fantastic Sim Racing / Entertainment / Informative and Friendly site..Happy new Year everyone.
...and my highlight was the upgrade / purchase of my new TS XW Racer with the Sparco P310 wheel...could not be happier with the performance, it is as though I am driving / racing new Sims again, plus all the amazing Sims that are on offer for my pleasure...look forward to what the New Year brings.

144429.jpg

My father died yesterday and during the evening I found myself running some laps at Nords to clear my head. I was reminded of why I'm into motorsports to begin. "Be smooth on the pedals, race drivers always try to be smooth" and "Drive like everyone around you is an idiot that will mess everything up in the next second" were mantras when he taught me to drive and I still repeat them when I sit down in the rig to race.

When I at a young age decided to root for Ferrari because he was a McLaren man he begrudgingly admitted that Ferrari was alright once in a while, but only when Fangio raced for them. These days I can race a car Fangio drove and appreciate just how massive balls that generation of drivers had. Fast forward a decade and dad would hop in the car and drive for hours to to my student flat only to watch Schumacher win, mutter a quiet "dammit" and drive back home. I doubt I will ever do that car justice but boy is it fun to try.

The highlight of the year for me is not a single moment but the momentum I feel our hobby currently has, from hardware to software. As some of the simulators are beginning to wrap up their development cycle we can look forward not only to new content but to new projects and every indication is that 2018 and beyond will keep delivering awesome new memories, and bring back good old ones.

Thank you sim racing, developers, manufacturers and racers alike. Happy new year everyone! Rest in peace dad, I love you.

My father died yesterday and during the evening I found myself running some laps at Nords to clear my head. I was reminded of why I'm into motorsports to begin. "Be smooth on the pedals, race drivers always try to be smooth" and "Drive like everyone around you is an idiot that will mess everything up in the next second" were mantras when he taught me to drive and I still repeat them when I sit down in the rig to race.

When I at a young age decided to root for Ferrari because he was a McLaren man he begrudgingly admitted that Ferrari was alright once in a while, but only when Fangio raced for them. These days I can race a car Fangio drove and appreciate just how massive balls that generation of drivers had. Fast forward a decade and dad would hop in the car and drive for hours to to my student flat only to watch Schumacher win, mutter a quiet "dammit" and drive back home. I doubt I will ever do that car justice but boy is it fun to try.

The highlight of the year for me is not a single moment but the momentum I feel our hobby currently has, from hardware to software. As some of the simulators are beginning to wrap up their development cycle we can look forward not only to new content but to new projects and every indication is that 2018 and beyond will keep delivering awesome new memories, and bring back good old ones.

Thank you sim racing, developers, manufacturers and racers alike. Happy new year everyone! Rest in peace dad, I love you.
Hey man sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how hard that has to be but it´s nice to hear that your and our hobby helps you a bit. I wish you a happy new year and all the best for the future.

Despite my former success as livery designer, I messed up on the other hand. I just got carried away too much, wanting to do and be way more than I could handle...ending up disappointing people and letting some people down, people who supported me, simracers who believed in me...I am truly sorry for that.

I had so much anger in me, for various reasons, I reflected that at some of the RD board too, for which too I want to apologise, especially @Bram Hengeveld .
He actually helped me more than he realises, being the first to confront me.

I bailed on sim racing, on everyone actually. This last month, after a long period of coming to senses, confronting myself with myself, I have been picking up on AC again, started some livery designing again, allowing the love for the sim racing game back in again. Also I finally managed my private family life to be as perfect as it can be the last few months. We (my wife and I) worked hard on our relationship and it payed off.

So for me, the highlight of 2017 is not a livery design, not a sim race feature, but the highlight is today, 31/12/2017, to recognize one can have a good family life and enjoy the world of sim racing in a balanced, proper and loving kind of way with no anger issues, frustration or shouting at anyone or anything that isn't going my way.

Last I want to thank @kunos , for their impeccable work, endless patience and professional simulation Assetto Corsa. Despite a divided, overly critical community sometimes, including me, they managed to deliver a pro simulation to the masses not only for pc gamers, but for the whole gaming community. An act of the greater man, to let as much people enjoy sim racing as they can.
Thanks for everything :inlove::inlove::thumbsup::thumbsup:

formerly known as Sunny Sky Speed,
GT.

A few things:
  • Nervously installing a GTX 1050Ti in my second-hand server PC. It felt like open-heart surgery.
  • Realising that Game Stock Car Extreme and Automobilista supplied more fun than any other computer game I've ever played.
  • Enjoying the year-long Christmas that was Reiza's Beta development.
  • @RasmusP revolutionising my opinion of Assetto Corsa thanks to his DFGT Lut file. :inlove:
  • Discovering the amazing sim that had been hiding behind RaceRoom's FFB settings.
  • Getting buried by an avalanche of superb mods.
  • Taking part in my first RD races. :cool:
  • Knowing that the third Gallagher brother was running this site like clockwork. Don't Reverse In Anger. :D

Last edited:
RDLMS, both as teammember in Red Shift Racing and as support crew helping out in the control room. Had some nice throwback moments to my RD staff period

Edit: Almost forgot my first VR race a couple of days ago in assetto! Had so much fun

Replacing my £20 rubbish wheel with a Thrustmaster Tx was great but my highlight has to be getting my Oculus Rift.

VR has changed my experience from just playing a (very good and sophisticated) game to really racing a car.

In 2018 I am most looking forward to getting premium at RD (any day now) and having you guys help me to get reasonably up to speed online...

• Deleted member 387850

2017 is the year that I decided to take a lifetime of playing racing games, and a love of motorsport, and turn it into a hobby! I'd become hooked on Assetto Corsa on the PS4 and decided to buy my first wheel. Then I needed somewhere to mount the wheel, so along came a cockpit. Then I built my first PC to run it on. All I needed were some like-minded people to race with and that's where RD comes in!

I sort of stumbled across the site whilst trying to find information on setting up my rig and spotted the club races. I signed up for a race that evening with no idea what to expect or what I was doing! Thankfully everyone was extremely helpful and although, predictably, I finished dead last, I had such a great time that I've been racing at least once a week ever since.

Massive thanks to @Rupe Wilson and everyone in the AC club for helping me get up and running, and to @Kenny Paton and @Ross Garland and everyone in the R3E club for welcoming me into Raceroom as well. Finally, a massive thanks to all the staff at RD that make it such a great community to be part of. This is what I dreamed of being able to do when I was 9 years old sitting playing Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on my Amiga 500+... asides from being a Formula 1 driver of course ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back