Comment: Tell Us Your Sim Racing 2017 Highlights...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Racing 2017 Highlights.jpg

The year is almost over and it has been a bumper 12 months for sim racing fans. As 2017 closes out we want you to tell us your highlights of 2017 from the world of simulation motorsports.

When we say highlights it could mean many things to different people. It could be a personal highlight like a league or club race here at RD, a particularly special piece of content or sim update, new releases, community engagement, giving thanks for some awesome mods, a particular piece of sim racing news, my shirts ( :D ) or anything else related to the world of sim racing.

2017 will in my humble opinion go down as another great year for sim racing with highlights just too numerous to mention. The year has been simply fantastic with some rather spectacular moments all going towards once again reaffirming my love for this wonderful hobby.

So now is the time to find out what our brilliant RaceDepartment community enjoyed the most in 2017. Have fun, don't get into arguments and comment below!

While I have your attention, if you want to give us a nice New Year present then please feel free to hit the subscribe button on our various different content outlets highlighted below. More subscribers gives us better opportunities to do cooler stuff, so spread the word and let's make 2018 even better than ever before!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

For me we have had almost too many highlights to mention. It is interesting seeing things from my position here at RD as obviously I get to know some of the insider stuff from the devs, which I only wish I could share, but the real eye opening and the thing that strikes me the most is the sheer volume of activity across the genre. I check daily for news and get involved in chat with the guys behind the scenes and often we have multiple noteworthy news items on a daily basis. Seriously it is ridiculous how fast sim racing develops these past few years, absolutely incredible and something I'm so very, very excited to be a part of at the moment. Love it.

Saying that however my personal highlight has to be the modders who create such incredible content. Some of the mods we have available to us are unbelievably good, and to say that for the most part these are created by enthusiasts in their spare time blows me away. I have a number of mates who love motorsport but don't know about sim racing, and when I show them some of the mods they simply don't understand how it is possible for an "average" person to make something so incredible.

So despite the many amazing things I have to give thanks for in sim racing, my hat must be raised and the uppermost respect and gratitude shown for the guys and girls of the sim racing modding scene.

Gentlemen you make this hobby what it is, and I for one will be forever thankful.

• ronniej

It would have to be having one of my favorite cars (2012 Mustang Boss 302/http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca.14885/ ) brought to my favorite racing game Assetto Corsa...Along with RD doing a great article on it as well (Thanks again @Paul Jeffrey ) And obviously the creators @aphidgod and @A3DR for doing a awesome job making it come to life in AC.

Then having my sim gods (Kunos Simulazioni) announcing and delivering (for free!) the laserscanned Laguna Seca track to complete the orgasm.

Taking over from my teammate while being a few laps down in the Virtual Endurance Championship during the race on a flooded Suzuka. Unlapped myself a couple of times and when I gave the car to my other teammate after nearly 3 hours, we were in the lead and we ended up winning it by a landslide. At some point I was 8 seconds faster than other people in the lmp2 class. I kinda like rain.

Last edited:
Competing in the 24 hours of spa in iRacing.

We had a top 5 line up but a collision put paid to that, I think we finished 14th, but I didn't ding the car, and thoroughly enjoyed being part of the team.

RDLMS 24 hours of Le Mans. I stayed up for 40 consecutive hours acting as the crew chief and doing my stints. I drove the last 2 and half hours and was completely exhausted but brought us home to an 8th place finish. It was the first 24 hour race of any kind for everyone on the team and they all did a fantastic job!

The other highlight was our 3rd place finish at Suzuka, Ismail and I shared the car for that one, and after an early race game crash, we battled back and got our best finish of the year.

Lots more racing in store for RiP in 2018!

Last edited:
This will likely sound very cheesy, but really, the 2017 simracing highlight for me was getting into online racing for the first time ever (despite simracing technically being my on and off hobby for years) and joining the racing club here on RD (first R3E - and even though there were/are many others responsible for how great that experience was, I'd still like to namely thank @Kenny Paton once again for playing a substantial part in that, because I don't think we can thank him enough - then expanding into other sims as well). Which in turn led to me taking my simracing way more seriously than ever before (and sinking way more time and money into it than ever before, so yeah, thanks a bunch, RD! ;) ).

My Highlights - 2017.
1. Picking up a PS4 Slim 1Tb, T300RS GT Edition, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Dirt Rally in January.
2. Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition on release in September.
3. Sparco R383 in November.
4. Bootcamp Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro 2016 and picking up Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, RRE on Steam December.
Bring on 2018!

My best highlight at RaceDepartment '2017 was to become a Premium:).. Great classes, great circuits, some really nice combo's..mostly fair and competitive racing, outstanding Youtube broadcast!:thumbsup:

Thank you guys for putting up all the hard work, and keeping the RD servers running the whole year round..I enjoyed it big time!
wink.gif
You all have a good one tonight at twelve
drinkingcheers.gif
and beyond, And see you next year of coarse..;)

Cheers! Jer

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 312 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years