DiRT 3 Colin McRae: DiRT 3

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We are giving away our last of three DiRT 3 copies for PC with a "guess the lap time" competition. Guess the lap time of our moderator Nick Brooke as he drove (and filmed) a lap around Alpine Stars Trophy Finland Course with a Peugeot 207 4WD.

peug.jpg

The competition runs for a week and one entry per person is allowed. Submit your guess via this link and maybe you'll be the winner of a free game and become very DIRTY soon.

I hope the third part will include some longer stages. DiRT 2 is fantastic but the simmer in me wants just a little more time on the dirt than the short lap races that the game provides.

For the rest I can't think of any reason not to get this. Bring on 2011 (for this and some other long awaited titles).

100 routes sounds promising but who really believe that isnt a couple of long stages cut into lots of pieces.
Prob count out at least half of then as non traditional rally if not more and soon you end up with very little rally stages once again.
especially if they have decided a route with different weather are counted as different routes.

Like I said in the previous post, it depends on the location. If you choose UK, you have CM: Dirt, CM: Dirt2, if you choose US, you have Dirt, Dirt2. Dirt3 doesn't have the prefix, but probably because it's only just been announced.

Not important anyway, sry for spamming the thread.

A rally game that holds a large number of cars is on its way. DiRT 3 goes from the Mini Cooper S, through the Lancia Stratos and Audi Quattron S1, to the Lancia Delta Intregrale and Colin McRae's own 555 Subaru.

gmyk.jpg

Not only that, but Finland, Norway and Monte Carlo have been added to the game. More importantly, Codemasters are supposed to have added the WRC license to the game too.

With weather effects thrown into the mix, this promises to be an adrenaline pumping, turbo charged ride.
mini.jpg

With new gymkhana style events added to the mix, driving skills plus gonads of steel will be required!

Check IGN for more details

Attachments

• dirt-3-20100806034901354.jpg
    dirt-3-20100806034901354.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 6,340
  • dirt-3-20100806034858135.jpg
    dirt-3-20100806034858135.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 332
  • dirt-3-20100806034854932.jpg
    dirt-3-20100806034854932.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 337
  • lancia.jpg
    lancia.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 500
Recently our game magazine has published some informations which I cant found here, so I hope it will be ok if I will quote them! :)

1. "supposedly it is the biggest game in Codemasters history which means a lot of everything, you will find there cars from sixteens to nowadays"
2. "with this retro wave is coming information about old good Colin McRae style of game, which will comeback"
3. "there wont be another WRC licenses"
4. "redactor of IGN said that the menu will be much more attractive then before"
5. "there will be possibility of night racing with Audi Quattro S1" (I decide from the text)
6. "there will be splitscreen mod"

well... I hope it is ok :) I translated myself from the site

Honestly... this preview has very interested me!

The problem with naming your rally game after a particular type of terrain is that it can end up being a little restrictive.

The first two DiRT games were very much focused on the brown, mucky stuff, arguably to the detriment of other plucky rally surfaces. But no more: finally the series has become equal opportunities and, as a result, there's going to be much more variety in the ground you're speedily chewing through this time around.

The biggest addition is snow, lost since the last of the pre-DiRT McRae games, but back with an icy vengeance this time around. In spite of studded tyres, which offer more grip than you'd expect in this slippy-slidy ice world, the sub-zero stages are likely to be DiRT 3's most challenging proposition.

As if the actual stage itself wasn't tough enough, stray off the course and you'll hit deformable snowdrifts that will cause drag on any tyres that get dipped and further slow your progress.

And once you're just about comfortable with careening down the side of a mountain like a bobsled that's decapitated its driver, DiRT 3 will ask you to do the same thing. But at night. And during a blizzard. Your vision will be limited depending on how many extra headlights you've stuck to the bonnet and corners will appear all the more quickly. Similarly, you'll be scrambling through rainstorms, which use and improve on already impressive technology borrowed from the Formula

One 2010 development team. Handling on waterlogged gravel will be completely different from the dry stuff. The idea is that, even though DiRT 3 will have three times as many rally stages as DiRT 2, mixing up the time of day and the weather conditions will keep things fresh when you inevitably have to return to a location during the career.

DIRTY DEALS
The other thing bound to add to the variety on offer is the huge selection of rally vehicles, spanning decades of driving far too fast along narrow forest tracks. Every major era of rallying is represented, with our favourites being the Group B monsters like the Audi Quattro S1, Metro 6R4 and Ford RS200, which were justifiably banned because the drivers kept flying off the road at ludicrous speeds and coming back in hundreds of tiny, lightly charred pieces.

Fortunately, with the aid of flashback, those consequences are removed, so you're free to misbehave. Because the garage is more fleshed out this time around, when you head into an event in a car from a particular era, you'll be competing against other cars from that time period, rather than just a random jumble - and rightly so. The stages are a more classic rally selection this time. Iconic locations such as Monte Carlo, Finland and Kenya are present and correct and the only place that doesn't seem to have made the cut is Wales. Of the lot, Monte is the most tantalising: a mix of tarmac, ice and snow as you try and avoid tumbling down a mountainside.

EXTREME FILTH
The extreme sports stuff hasn't been binned, though, and you'll find official X-Games courses from Los Angeles and Aspen, plus all the cars that the current crop of US drivers tool around in.

We had a chance to get some time behind the wheel with an early version of the game to try out the new handling model. There was an immediate feeling of greater weight to the car, making its behaviour more predictable when pitching it into slides, but they remain just as snappy and responsive as you'd expect highly tuned (and highly expensive) rally machines to be.

Codies reckons this is going to be their biggest racing game yet, and the associated stats are already suitably impressive: there are over 100 routes, compared to DiRT 2, and apparently the game will have the biggest selection of cars of any of the previous games, McRae versions included. The US-centric gearshift that the series initiated with DiRT and solidified with DiRT 2 divided fans and the third game is a conscious attempt to bring the new and traditional audiences together.

After all, they're both fundamentally fans of the same thing: cars travelling extremely quickly, usually sideways, through highly treacherous off-road courses. Could this be the racing game that finally pleases everyone, all of the time? We reckon it stands a pretty good chance.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=264333

the weather of F1 2010 in Dirt 3

nice, a must have :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back