1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Lap Competition - Wednesday 29 October 2008

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Andrew Evans, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Start: 20:00 GMT
    Practice: 5 mins
    Qualification: 2 hours​

Number of Rounds: 2​

Password: click here

After seeing a bunch of discussion about the Top Gear track and Simjunkies equivalent event, I figured we might have enough interest here for our own take on proceedings; enter Cold Lap Competition.

Here's a list of planned rules and regs:​

Stock track, car & weather combo randomly generated just before the round begins.
    (Initially, the tracks will be posted 2 days in advance of the event. And this event will be run in the dry.)

5 minute practice session is to allow participants to get onto the server - absolutely no running allowed.

2 hour, closed, timetrial qualification with one lap allowed, no more.

Random running order, one at a time, with everyone else watching on Race Monitor and sniggering on Teamspeak.

Teamspeak participation is mandatory - the event will be run entirely through this medium.

Forced cockpit view.

Only default dry/wet setups to be used - can adjust steering lock and fuel.

Initially, this evening is a pilot, if you will, to find out if this format is any good and, most importantly, to see if we all had fun!​

If it works out then I'd like to see this run sorta fortnightly with points being handed out to the top ten placings in each round and tracked via a dandy little leaderboard.​

Sign-ups will be limited strictly to 25 drivers with no reserves - there simply won't be time to deal with them.​

Of course, I would expect each round to last about an hour (with 25 people) - the 2 hour qually limit is to ensure we all get a run!​

As always, let me have any comments about the event, format and what not.​
    1. Andrew Evans
    2. Michael Herrmann
    3. Nigel Atkins
    4. Lewis Fergusson
    5. Tim Ling
    6. Grant Powell
    7. Lee Downham
    8. Chris Noble
    9. Scott Michaels
    10. James Yates
    11. Oliver Amos
    12. Tim Ling
    13. Yassen Pavlov
    14. Ryan Callan *
    15. Driver
    16. Driver
    17. Driver
    18. Driver
    19. Driver
    20. Driver
    21. Driver
    22. Driver
    23. Driver
    24. Driver
    25. Driver
    * can't definitely participate
  3. lol sounds like a funny format :) will defo be up for it
  4. Add me pls
  5. Im in as well please. Won't be able to speak on teamspeak as though as my mic is very crap.
  6. listening in is mandatory... speaking is obv preferred - since it's kinda the point! - but one or two who can't shouldn't be a problem...
  7. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium Member

I'm in, but what day is it?
  8. tonight i think.

edit: just read discription again and i dont think it is tonight, i suppose its TBA
  9. Put me down, sounds like a bit of fun :D
  10. I will give it a go.
    Was actually checking out new headphones today..?? :)
    must be a sign boet.
  11. somewhen in the next week or two - i'll update this thread when i get a slot... a bit more co-ordination is needed than for a regular event cause i need a server admin either participating or to be available to pop servers for meh.... :)
  12. I'll give it a shot despite not knowing half of the default tracks ... someone can direct me round over TS :lol:

• Nice idea and adaptation :thumb:
    • RE: Random Track - to make this a bit more "accessible" to us folk who don't know all the default tracks yet, what about fixing the track a few days before the event? - at least that way I/we can get an idea of the circuit ... random car and weather generation is gonna be enough to deal with to start with. Can always up the stakes later?
    • RE: Setup tweaks being allowed - I know its impossible to police, but would it not be a more even playing field with everyone on the default setup (wet or dry), using default (50 litres?) fuel, only tweak being the wheel lock ratio (ie. same as simjunkies do).
  13. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff

how did it go i didnt see the post till too late.
  14. thanks lee!

i'm definitely cool with this - i don't want to put people off before we even get off the ground... the idea behind the unknown track was to fit in with the whole thing being "cold"... you just haveta get in, drive and get on with it :D

but, i agree, let's see if this gets anywhere first and we can tweako later... since there'll be two rounds, there'll be two tracks... i'll post them up two days before the event is due... but i'm not changing the name to lukewarm lap! :pound:

also, some tracks won't even make the roster, eg. nords, the reverse tracks...

yup - because it's impossible to police, that's why i went for it being allowed... am totally willing to play it on trust though... how do the rest of you feel about this one?

also, i *think* fuel isn't an issue on timetrial qually, i'll haveta check up on that....
  15. we've not run it yet man - this is an pre sign-up for trialling the event... i'll update with a date when i've sorted a slot... you want in? :wink:
  16. For me the trust element works with setups ... makes it more amusing and all about raw driving rather than having a huge personal setup database ... and as the event is for the fun as much as it is for the win, then I reckon people round here will respect this.

If not, there'll be no glory in such a "win", so they still lose :p
  17. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff

ah yeh thought you were just running it off the cuff.

count me then if yer can.
  18. Does Race not support fixed server setups like in rFactor then?

Oh btw we have to do the top gear test track at some point to!

Sign me up
  19. nod, good enough fer meh :amen:
  20. i've not seen an option for it, but i'll check it out....

and, yea, top gear track will make it into the roster if we get up and running :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.