1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Featured Codemasters join forces with Evolution Studios

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

Evolution Studios Codemasters Join Forces.jpg
    Gaming giant Codemasters have today announced the addition of recently earmarked for closure Evolution Studios in a move designed to bolster the developers of the successful Formula One series of games.

News of this new acquisition for Codemasters comes as a boost to the gaming industry in Britain following the shock announcement as reported by RaceDepartment that after a rationalisation of its games development portfolio Sony decided to close the team behind open world driving title Drive Club and MotorStorm games.

Frank Sagnier, Codemasters CEO had the following to say following news of the new arrangement:

The success of F1™ 2015 and DiRT Rally over the last 12 months has re-positioned the company for growth the addition of the Evolution team to our studio group will allow us to scale our business and strengthen our leadership as the world’s premier racing game developer. I’m thrilled to have Mick Hocking join Codemasters as VP of Product Development. His experience in building AAA IP and leading great teams made him a natural choice to head the development of all of our products. I am equally thrilled to welcome his talented team to the Codemasters family and I look forward to the great games and brand new IP we will develop together.”

Former Evolution employee Mick Hocking has also joined the Codemasters group as new VP of Product Development, a role that will oversee all of the studios under the Codemasters umbrella:

“I’m delighted to be joining Codemasters at such an exciting time in the company’s growth. We have a shared passion for racing, a desire to innovate and a determination to create the best racing games and build the biggest racing community in the market. I’m very much looking forward to working with so many of the world’s greatest racing developers, on new IP as well as exciting franchises including DiRT, GRID, Micro Machines™ and the FORMULA ONE™ games.”

Undoubtedly great news for all the employees moving over to Codemasters the latest announcement will come as a boost to the Birmingham based concern who are currently hard at work developing 2016's addition to the officially licenced Formula One series and supporting newly released to console DiRT Rally.

Codemasters DiRT Rally.jpg

Sony have previously announced that they will continue to support Drive Club going forwards and it is currently unknown if rights to that title will transfer over with Evolution Studios or if Codemasters have other plans for the talented individuals newly welcomed to the group.

One thing is for sure, this news is a very positive move for the gaming industry in general and many fans of motorsport games on PC and console will be excited to see exactly what this means for future output from the Codemasters group of companies.

Driveclub Evolution Studios.jpg

Don't forget to check out our RaceDepartment Codemasters forums for both the Formula One series of games and of course hot rally favourite DiRT Rally for club racing and all the latest news and discussions.

Are you interested to hear of this new acquisition by the developers of the popular Formula One and DiRT Rally franchise? What impact on future games from the studio do you think this latest announcement will have? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  2. ''“The success of F1™ 2015 and DiRT Rally over the last 12 months ''

What success?...

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. This sounds cool but "Success of F1 2015" .... yeah ... *cough*

• Haha Haha x 6
  4. Benutzername

Benutzername
    Online Martini Racing - Founder and driver

Best
    Game
    Ever
    :rolleyes:

• Wow Wow x 1
  5. Eugene Abramoff

Eugene Abramoff
    Premium Member

Don't know about F1, but Dirt seems to be a hit.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rob Gray

Rob Gray
    Premium Member

Great news codemasters. At least you know your place "determination to create the best racing games". Leave the racing sims to the big boys :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  7. There's a difference between racing games. And racing sims. And Codemasters have traditionally made great racing games.

Grid/Toca F1 series, Dirt. All great racing games.

8. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa
    Premium Member

yes, games...

9. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

F1 was a success........

Well ok, it sold a lot...

That's close enough :D

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Great news to see all those folks stay in work though, that's brilliant to hear in such tough economic times that we live in now I suppose. Double plus is they get to stay in the same studio so no relocations and such other difficult things.

Big win for them and hopefully great news for racing games in general.

I agree Codemasters don't produce "sims" as such, but the kind of games they do produce sure have a place in the market and are very good for what they are aimed at.

Saying that I'd sure love someone to make a sim of an F1 game. Properly hard core rF2 style simulation would get my juices flowing for sure. Actually it would probably be better than F1 in real life :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  11. The blog entry from CM was written a bit vaguely, but it's still great that the guys behind MotorStorm have found a new start.
    Maybe we might see MotorStorm's terrain deformation in a future DiRT title?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  12. And I thought surely Sony had moved those employees to help out PD with Gran Turismo. That was an idiot move to close that studio and let all of those employees go.

13. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

Is everyone a Vice President in corporate life? When did this happen? Maybe that's it...too many VP's and not enough beta testers and developers. :D

Seriously, this is great news for F1 and, interestingly enough, with the success of DiRT (so, they *can* do it after all) and new blood, I have high hopes for F1. The game, that is. Paul is right...I'm going to start putting "the game" after every real life F1 reference and start calling the game "the actual" F1.

14. Just apply DC graphics to Dirt Rally 2 and we're golden boys.

• Love Love x 1
  15. That's the result of the success of Dirt Rally. It literally saved Codemasters and now Evolution Studios!

And this is great news, pretty sure awesome things will come out of this.

But yeah, the F1 2015 was purely PR mumbo-jumbo.

16. Konstantinos Galanos

Konstantinos Galanos
    Premium Member

Great to see that people are keeping their jobs and being moved under a new roof that shares their passion for racing. I am now expecting great things to come out of this! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mod Edit: RaceDepartment is an English speaking website. When posting on public message boards, please use only the English language.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  18. Wouldnt you consider Dirt Rally to be more of a simulator than a game?

19. Simcade.

20. Yeah very accurate put haha! I would say 70/30 split where the sim part is 70% and cade 30%

• Agree Agree x 1