F1 2016 Codemasters F1 2016 Revealed

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2016 Reveal.png

Following recent leaked shots of the new Formula One racing game, Codemasters have finally made their official reveal of the latest instalment for the popular racing franchise.

Due for release on PlayStation®4, Xbox One and Windows PC (DVD and via Steam) this summer, F1 2016 goes some way to addressing the many issues and missing details reported following the less than popular release of 2015's version of the game. In direct response to the outcry around dropping any kind of career mode within 2015, Codemasters promise the new game will feature "the most immersive career mode we’ve ever featured". Spanning an impressive 10 full seasons, the new career mode will include more focus on car development as players can directly influence the performance enhancing upgrades brought to the team over the course of a season. One assumes the relative performance of each team will rise and fall during the duration of a players career as your virtual world develops season on season.

One particular omission from the last game makes a welcome return to F1 2016 - the Mercedes Safety Car is back! Mirroring real life Formula One the new game will also include the use of a Virtual Safety Car alongside the traditional on track car and further as yet unannounced features to follow. Principal Game Designer Lee Mather said “With the re-introduction of the Safety Car as well as the addition of the Virtual Safety Car for the very first time, we are creating the most complete F1™ experience ever. This, combined with several features that are yet to be announced, should excite fans of the game and FORMULA ONE™.”

F1 2016 Reveal - Safety Car.jpg

Mather continued-

F1 2016 is a massive step forward for the franchise. The new career mode sits at the heart of the game and allows gamers to create their own legend over a career that can span for up to a massive ten seasons. Beyond improving upon the fastest and most thrilling on-track racing experience in gaming, F1 2016 uniquely offers the drama and vehicle development that goes on behind the scenes. A rich car upgrade system is fully integrated into a new and deep practice development programme which mirrors the tests carried out by the teams in real life.”

F1 2016 will feature all the teams, drivers and circuits of the 2016 Formula One World Championship including the new for 2016 street circuit in Baku, Azerbaijan. A new hospitality area feature in career mode makes its debut in F1 2016, adding further flavour for players wishing to immerse themselves in the world of Formula One. The team over at Codemasters have created a fully captured and voice-acted Research and Development Engineer and Player Agent to act as a central hub, where gamers earn Research and Development credits from the race sessions from to spend on upgrading their team's car.

It looks like Codemasters have made a considerable effort to rectify some of the mistakes and disappointments found in previous versions of the game as they aim to address a perceived decline in quality of recent Formula One titles over the last few years.

Let's hope 2016 lives up to expectations...

Check out our Codemasters F1 Series forum for news and discussion regarding F1 2016 and look back at previous title's from the series with all the best mods and setups.

F1 2016 Renault.jpg F1 2016 Reveal - Mclaren.jpg F1 2016 Reveal - Mercedes.jpg F1 2016 Reveal - Torro Rosso.jpg F1 2016 Sauber.jpg

Do you think F1 2016 will improve on previous versions, or is it more of the same? Looking forward to the release? instabuy? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hi Marcos,

I respect your point, but whenever I play a season I want to play it to the full. Having the 3 FPs means to me getting (re)acquainted with the track in FP1 if it were back, and test the hard tyres. Then medium and/or soft tyre tests in FP2, then concentrate on Quali pace in FP3...

I don't mind going round 'n' round the same circuit for days if it actually means something... In F1 2013 I logged 370 hours just for 1 season, and I had to "cheat", going thro time trial on every track to get enough practice, in order to be competitive... Nuts heh, but that's how I get my kick. :p:laugh:

Anyway, why can't we have the best of both worlds ? Used to be that way in the 1st instalments of the series.

For me , FP1 is for tuning my car to a comfortable & quick setup , FP2 is for long distances and FP3 is simply a qualifying simulation.You'll return a set of Prime to Pirelli after FP1 ,a set of Option and 2 sets of Prime after FP2 , a set of Prime after FP3 to Pirelli so... I guess let's just do what the actual F1 Teams do during FPs

For me , FP1 is for tuning my car to a comfortable & quick setup , FP2 is for long distances and FP3 is simply a qualifying simulation.You'll return a set of Prime to Pirelli after FP1 ,a set of Option and 2 sets of Prime after FP2 , a set of Prime after FP3 to Pirelli so... I guess let's just do what the actual F1 Teams do during FPs
Can't you just jam all those P's into one single P ?
I meam... do shorter runs.
You acting like this is frickin Grand Prix Legends mate. It's just another "let time pass, while looking gorgeous" semi arcadish game. Some look at me and go like "semi? oh c'mon it's total arcade" now I know...
Another thing... If the real teams do like you said, if "FP1 is for tuning my car to a comfortable & quick setup , FP2 is for long distances" why then times in P2 are always faster than in P1? :cautious:

So just set it to one session if you don't want to play through all three.
Heck, it's like you only play the game for watching your points increase in the end.
And still, nothing justifies that a F1 game lacks the full weekend.

And it certainly is no simulator, it also doesn't tries to be a simulator, but judging by your post, I guess you also find the strict rules "too punishing" and the AI behaviour "too aggressive".

Well, you can say anything you want but F1 2015 was quite improvement from F1 2014 to me.
If only those T-cams were editable... :rolleyes:
The biggest difference to me was Force Feedback feeling, then graphic aspect of the game, which look much better and much closer to real-life pictures.
Here are two unedited at all random pics from two different track and different time condition, to prove my point. I just hope '16 could continue this... graphical uplift.
F1_2015_2016_04_03_11_18_17_89.jpg

F1_2015_2016_04_14_00_26_52_85.jpg

Real life pics or not the question is now. :)

Daym, that bottom picture actually tricked me; I thought it was real life! F1 2015 actually looks rather decent compared to 14, so I have a lot more confidence in purchasing both 15 and 16. :laugh:

Can't you just jam all those P's into one single P ?
I meam... do shorter runs.
You acting like this is frickin Grand Prix Legends mate. It's just another "let time pass, while looking gorgeous" semi arcadish game. Some look at me and go like "semi? oh c'mon it's total arcade" now I know...
Another thing... If the real teams do like you said, if "FP1 is for tuning my car to a comfortable & quick setup , FP2 is for long distances" why then times in P2 are always faster than in P1? :cautious:

Well certainly you can . Actually i set Full Practise in the settings and i've never completed one single practise session without using the Time Acceleration...Still i setup my car in FP1 using Lean fuel mix..Do one stint on Prime and a stint on Option just to feel the car using standard mix and Q simulation in FP3 with Mix2 as well...But normally i would do one or two flying laps with 25 kilos of fuel before the long-range test.Maybe that's why. And i think if you take a further look at the actual FP2s you'll find out actual F1 Teams do rather long-range stints in FP2

I had afew laps in the manor at sliverstone whilst in sliver today in a motion rig.
A club sport wheel base was used.
I have to say the physics felt great, the force feedback felt completly new, i could feel the tyres and road surfaces.
Really looking forward to the release.

I had afew laps in the manor at sliverstone whilst in sliver today in a motion rig.
A club sport wheel base was used.
I have to say the physics felt great, the force feedback felt completly new, i could feel the tyres and road surfaces.
Really looking forward to the release.

Surely wont be a Sim, but definetly looks interesting.
I'm curious, if its not bugged it may be a fun game to play
0:33 Finally a decent looking T-cam. Finally.
Although not perfect. FOV is still to big :D but eh... compared to last year, way better.
I just wish we are able to edit them. But we don't. At least no one figured that part out.

Last edited:
So ? :cautious: You say you don't see any difference ? Oh c'mon... you must be kidding...
Hint: camera is much tilted to the ground. FOV is still too big, like I said earlier.
And, as a guy who made this one http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/oh-so-real-onboard-cams-by-shnala.3793/ I really believe I know a thing or two about onboard cams.
This is the game that me 5 years ago so badly wanted!! god knows if i will have the time to play this with 2 kids now here
Wait another five, you'll begging them to play with you. Play with your kids now, while you still can. :)

Last edited:
There are definitely a lot of new and interesting features that have my attention for this year's iteration of the game. But I have also tasted VR and unless CMs tells us they will be supporting VR in this title like they did with Dirt Rally, then I doubt I will be picking up the game this year. You see once you have tried VR and liked it, you don't want to go back to 2D screens.

The inside sim racing (p)review (
) revealed the following:

-bad performance on triple screen, even on medium to low settings (same crap as F1 2015 and main reason I never played it)
-no VR support (for that CM would have to learn how to render a FULL track for a change-they struggle as is come on now....VR? Get real guys.)
Personal note: I am not sure if they finally removed the chromatic aberration (sorry.....abomination) filter of last years version or not. The video looks as if they did. If not it is a full 100% pass anyways.

I wish it was better, but it is again utter technical crap with an otherwise (most likely) awesome game I would love to play. I hope I am wrong, but the signs do not look rosy. Just my 5 cents of reality check.

Have a good one guys and keep it friendly please. :D

Do you think F1 2016 will improve on previous versions, or is it more of the same? I think it will improve over '14 and '15 but maybe not '13 as that one was pretty good.
Looking forward to the release? Not really.
Instabuy? No.

Ok, each to their own, but are you seriously comparing F1 2013/14 with F1 2015? 2014 beats 2015 hands down with a stick down the road like a stray dog and back. F1 2013 just completely obliterates F1 2015 in like every aspect (content, graphics, sound, ffb, gameplay, it had CLASSICS!!!)-pretty good? It was THE BEST iteration of CM's F1 series to date. All it lacked was a proper career mode, which we are apparently getting with 2016. So sorry for singling your post out and ripping into you. Is not really meant as a personal attack, but I had to set the record straight there about the factuals. F1 2015 was a complete disaster-there was absolutely NOTHING good about it. As the METAcritic score clearly shows. All reviews praising F1 2015 were bought and paid for-everybody knows that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back