F1 2016 Codemasters F1 2016 pre launch promotion hots up

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Prior to hitting our digital shelves this summer, Codemasters have released a number of new videos and preview images for the latest Formula One title from the British studio.

An on-board video from Silverstone, the location of this weekends British Grand Prix, and several in game screenshots showing off the 2016 content reveal a slightly improved graphical experience for players and of course several "new" features join the new release, such as safety car and an extended offline career mode spanning up to 10 seasons in length.

Codemasters have recently revealed some very interesting new details regarding 2016 iteration of the game, with the inclusion of a formation lap prior to race start making its debut in the franchise. As well as adding more immersion and bringing the title closer to its real life counterpart, the studio have also confirmed players will be able to choose between the usual start procedure as found in previous versions of the title or selecting a manual race start, which brings back driver skill towards making difference when the lights go green. This is an excellent and much needed addition to the title and will no doubt be welcomed by fans as a step in the right direction towards a more simulation focused game for this, and future, releases.

Also on the automation topic, Codemasters have also confirmed manual pit entry will be joining the game, allowing players to drive right up to the pit lane speed limit line and engage the limiter before bringing the car down to the legal limit for pit road. It is not yet known if players will be able to drive the car into the box or if it will still an automated process by the game.

F1 2016 Max Verstappen.jpg

Work has also been undertaken to increase scope of the online experience for players to enjoy and F1 2016 will benefit from a full 22 car grid slots. This is a nice piece of news and will again go some way towards making a more rounded and enjoyable online experience with bigger grids and greater focus on players maintaining control of their destiny with manual race starts and manual pit entry included in the title.

Silverstone on-board lap:

Check out the F1 2016 RaceDepartment forum for all the pre launch news for this new F1 games. You can read all the latest discussions, news and previews as well as check out the many downloadable additions due to hit the game post launch.

F1 2016 Ferrari.png F1 2016 Max Verstappen.jpg F1 2016 Red Bull.jpg F1 2016 Riccardo.jpg F1 2016 Wet Weather.jpg

Looking forward to the new F1 game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Love the inclusion of all these little details. I'm sucker for details that add to overall realism and I couldn't be happier that they're including the formation lap, manual pit row entries and manual starts.

I love the fact that the AI will now simulate their starts as well to make starts much more dynamic. It's going to be really satisfying to find that perfect balance of revs to get the clutch to bite...or stall. And now not being allowed to fly into the pits at supersonic speeds without a penalty is much appreciated. All these make managing your race more difficult, but also much more fun and rewarding if you get a good result.

If they can nail the launch and have a stable multiplayer platform, this could really be great. Cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm an absolute sucker for progressive Career Modes. I was very disappointed having learned that it was not in 2015 but i suppose with it being a transition year they were able to build upon the foundations they placed last year and give us some really awesome features!

But still as mentioned previously. I'm very cautious as this could go either way...

According to the devs.
Yes you can have the formation lap online.
  • You have full control of your car during most of the formation lap, so you can pass etc (useful if the person ahead forgets to move, for example!) but we won't let you ruin someone else's race by crashing into them. We'll also remove you from the formation lap if we detect any kind of griefing.
  • The AI guides you for the final part of the lap to ensure everyone is properly and fairly parked up.
  • You can indeed warm your tyres and brakes. But you can also wear them so don't go nuts

I'm pretty optimistic about it. If they add the complexity and the same UDP output found in Dirt Rally and past F1 titles, I might be tempted to make a custom F1 wheel/sim pit...and buy the game, of course. :cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 74 12.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 54 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 36 5.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 90 14.9%