Cockpit view?

I am enjoying the DTM '10 mod, driving the Audi A4 at Sebring (club). It seems as though in some mods, and some cars it is very hard to drive with cockpit view. I like to use cockpit whenever possible for realism. But my times are faster using the view where you can just see a bit of the hood. Cockpit view just is too restricting no matter my settings for FOV and seat position. Is using a different view frowned upon? I have yet to be in a race where cockpit view was mandatory.

As a simmer I want everything to be as realistic as possible so I never use anything other than cockpit view. For me, dealing with a restricted view is part and parcel of the experience. However, you should race in the way you find most comfortable. Sure, some elitists may scoff at those using bumper view, chase cam, or whatever, but hey... each to their own.

Difference is you need to be running 3 monitors to get the same view as you would in real life. I agree that the cockpit view can be restricting, I'll use it where possible but it's just hopeless in some cars.

Im not bothered about what views people choose to use. At the end of the day, no matter what people say, they may consider it a sim but it is just a game and we should let people enjoy it in whatever way they want, and not look down on them for doing so :)

Difference is you need to be running 3 monitors to get the same view as you would in real life. I agree that the cockpit view can be restricting, I'll use it where possible but it's just hopeless in some cars.

Im not bothered about what views people choose to use. At the end of the day, no matter what people say, they may consider it a sim but it is just a game and we should let people enjoy it in whatever way they want, and not look down on them for doing so :)

I agree with this completely.

I mostly use hood cam now. The in-car view on some of the cars are lets just say is "very terrible". And thats regardless of whether FOV has been adjusted.My opinion, DTM's in car view is one of the worst ones of all the cars that are offered on Race07.

Chris, I think the secret to "track"ing in a racing sim is to really limit the movement. I have a big dead spot at the center and only enough motion to catch a view in a side window with very little up or down. I think where it helps[me] the most is in all the motions that the car makes, adds to the gut feeling.

As I said, tracking really stands out in an air combat sim. I couldn't get any kills using it in an FPS game.

An often forgotten cockpit FOV/POV adjustment can be made using mouse movements while holding the left or right buttons down. This will move your seat front/rear or up/down, very useful!

I always drive hood view. With virtual mirror on offcours (Thanks Remco for pointing that out for me :p)

It makes my cornering so much more smooth, and I can use maximum track wide better that way.
It does make driving while being passed, or just after passing (with someone next to you) a bit more difficult, but sound can compensate that a bit. Takes some getting used to, but after a while it just seems normal :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back