Cobra 427 @ Kyalami / Oesterreichring - Tue 15th Jan 2013

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: GTC65 AC Cobra 427
Track: Kyalami 70 (Download) / Oesterreichring 70 (Download)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (10 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 ( 10 laps)

Note 1: Default cars only 859 + 887 (blue & green cars)
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Rupe Wilson
  3. Tim Ling
  4. Senad Subasic
  5. Carlos Diaz
  6. Hans Sneep
  7. Andrew Jarnell
  8. Peter van Zanten
  9. Warren Dawes
  10. Jacob Boonstra
  11. Dave Flower
  12. Eck Simpson
  13. Simon Bacon
  14. Jeff Dobbing
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Pretty dopey driving from me today, but good to get a run in the Cobra, we don't use them often. They are a handfull but fun to drive.

Race 1, I actually got a good initial start but when I dropped it to 2nd, the car went sideways towards the fence. :confused: That put me back into the midpack by turn 1, where I had to dodge a few scary crashes in front. Ended up having some good laps with Rupe, Jeff, and Carlos for a while, until Jeff put a wheel onto the inside curb and veered across track into my path. In my efforts to avoid him, I slammed the fence. Brought it home P5 after that but the car was looking / feeling a bit second hand.

Race 2, I was giving Eck (in front of me) cheek about not fluffing the start, dropped the clutch nicely, only to find I was in neutral. :rolleyes: Oops!! Really sorry to Jacob who had nowhere to go behind me. :redface:

Back to the tail again, then coming into the long sweeping left hander, I went for 2nd gear but chose, 4th, Oops again, as I drifted off towards the forrest. :redface: Finally settled down and started driving, dodging a few spins and crashes ahead, but then came hurtling over the crest at the end of the straight, at warp speed, only to find Carlos sideways in the middle of the track. Really sorry for the huge crash Carlos, but I had no chance of avoiding you. I did think it was a strange place for you to be sideways (on a straight no less :O_o:) but looking at the replay, I see you had been hit by Neil. :(.
Anyway, I tried to get going again but soon found at the left hand bend that my car couldn't turn left at all, so had to retire. :( I see it also wrecked Carlos car too. :cry:
Oh well, my brain seemed to have stayed asleep this morning.

Thanks to Stuart for organising, and thanks to all who joined.

One of if not the best car in gtl and i love driving it :) so to get a 1st and 3rd was a bonus.

Almost did not make the finish in both races though, race one got a early lead but has a tail for a few laps until my tail hit me going into T1 sending me off into the fences but i recovered and still had a big enough lead to limp to the finish.
Race 2 got 2nd on the grid again this time behind Eck, got the better start and got the lead only to make an unforced error as i ran wide to do a bit of grass tracking, recovered and started to climb through the field again then had a hairy moment with Carlos on the straight as i was slipstreaming him for a pass he slowed quickly so i had to swerve like hell to miss him which i thought i had, at the time i thought he had blown his engine or had a dodgy connection but it turns out he lifted to allow me through, i managed to get it back under control but for Carlos it was race over as he was hit pretty hard as he sat stationary on the straight.

Thnx all for some nice racing with great cars. :thumbsup:

Well that was great fun, had a blast.
I messed up qually in race 1 pushing to hard I saw I was up and knew Neil was properly setting a quick time and pushed to hard and put a tyre on the grass ..ooops:redface:
So it was last place for me for the start.. i had a ok start but it was still good enough to get through the pack and get a good position for the first bend and tucked in behind Jeff and followed him round for the first lap and started pushing on the next lap. I got a good run out of the last bend and chased him up the straight get a bit of slipsteam to get in good position for the first bend, And into 3rd place
And then i was trying to chase down Stuart and Neil, but by this time they to to far ahead so settled for a good pace nothing silly. the laps rolled by very quick, I had a dajavu moment when i saw Carlos coming up behind so i pushed a bit and kept the gap with a few laps to go Stuart went off and I rolled over the line for a 2nd place.. Good race for me as a started from the rear...:)

Race 2 was also a good race but a bit different.. i had a ok qually and started just off the front.
But with a good start I was into 2nd and hot on Neil tails with Stuart tight up behind me this was going to be good...As we came into a right hand corner round the back of the circuit There was a bit of a coming together with me and Stuart so i pulled over to wait and watched the whole of the pack go by and started form the rear, Stuart was up against the barriers and hit by another car getting out of control and game over ..:(. So i set off with allot of work to do.. the laps rolled by and i made up a good few places with a few cars going off in-front of me.. i went on the grass myself late on giving Dave a free pass but he returned the favour later on in the lap and that was it finished 5th..
Great fun, good drifts, love this car. I want more with these beasts on these kind of tracks..:thumbsup:
Nice Combo Stuart;)

Sorry to Neil and Warren for race 2. I was slowing down and moving over to the right to let him pass but Neil didn't know my intentions and the poor guy just followed me trying to draft. My mistake, I should have let him pass in a turn by going wide and letting him take the inside. Sorry again Neil.

And I took Warren out at the same time since I spun out when Neil tapped me and I could not get off the track fast enough. I should've hit ESC there, sorry Warren.

Apart from the chaos I created in R2, it was a fun night and R1 was great. I love this car but I think next time I'm grabbing the green one with the top on it, I think I remember it being a bit more stable.

Night to forget for me. I was closing in on Neil in R1, and even then in Lap 7 I braked even earlier than normal because I was so close to Neil, but he braked more and longer than he had for the previous 7 laps, so having nowhere to go, we touched and I went off backwards into the wall.

R2 got gently clipped by Rupe, who was in avoidance mode, ended up facing the wrong way on the outside of the turn, up against the fence. Had to wait until everyone went past, but unfortunately there was an accident just before me on track and I could just sit there and watch Hans get thrown into me.

Decided to cut my losses.

Night to forget for me. I was closing in on Neil in R1, and even then in Lap 7 I braked even earlier than normal because I was so close to Neil, but he braked more and longer than he had for the previous 7 laps, so having nowhere to go, we touched and I went off backwards into the wall.

I had to brake slightly harder as i was carrying more speed with you kinda drafting me along the straight

Although the Corba is a fun car to drive it had a steep learning curve for me which I only climbed up about 70% of it. Sometimes I could hit the corners just right and drifted perfectly and other times I was a little off which had huge negative results.

Race 1. Started good but had nowhere to go when Tim had his little incident and I ended up hitting him and spinning on to the grass..returned in 15th spot and worked my way back to 8th by race end, so not too bad with fun times along the way. One of the funniest things to see( but not for poor Andy) was as I was chasing him, he had a good pace going and as I slowly caught up and passed him to the right coming out of the last corner, he must have lost focus and he drifted to the left. As I watched out of my left window he gradually fell behind. I glanced in the mirror only to see his car flying violently into the air doing numerous contortions. I later heard that he landed on top of an innocent Hans. Sorry but I could not help but laugh.:D

Race 2. Had another good start and was in the mix for about 1min but I had several unforced offs which left me near the very back... numerous poor cornerings. Then to add insult to injury I went wide on the last corner of the last lap and ended up hung-up on the grandstands ledge. It took what seemed several minutes to convince the car to release itself and I was able to complete the race.

I think I had fun but I'm still not sure.:confused:

Thanks Stu for the event. Cheers to all. Grats to podiums.

Brilliant event thanks to all who came and to RD and admin for organising. Did better than I expected and had loads of fun, just signed up for the League and have started a conversation on SRP with my Aware teammates asking for a skin and if anyone else wants to come join the fun!

Dave Flower
Dave, if they are making you a skin, make sure it's not a "team" skin. Team skins are not allowed in the league. I'm not 100% sure what exactly this means though, I'm not sure if you could have a small sticker somewhere that represents "Aware" or not. I'm pretty sure you can make a skin with the team colors though.

Thommo will be better at explaining this than I. I just didn't want you guys to turn in the skin with not enough time left to redo it in case it WAS a team skin.

Dave Flower
Dave, if they are making you a skin, make sure it's not a "team" skin. Team skins are not allowed in the league. I'm not 100% sure what exactly this means though, I'm not sure if you could have a small sticker somewhere that represents "Aware" or not. I'm pretty sure you can make a skin with the team colors though.

Thommo will be better at explaining this than I. I just didn't want you guys to turn in the skin with not enough time left to redo it in case it WAS a team skin.

Thankyou for pointing that out Carlos - I had already picked up on it and (jokingly) suggested a car with sponsorship reading "are you AWARE we would like team skins" - as well (following the Carchangegate Scandal of Yesterday) with "Dave Flower - causing trouble and confusion wherever he goes!"

So far two have said no due to other commitments and Marcus Dillon has expressed interest but is unable to log into raceroom.net to get his GTL Key so he has contacted SIMBIN to request help - hes also going to ask his father if he might be interested in joining too.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 260 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 170 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 168 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.7%