rF2 CLIO vs GP2 @ OldRing - Wednesday 14th January 2009

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, good fun, but normal service resumed from me.

Clio's: love these cars, but I couldn't get the first sector twisty bit right. I dropped over 1 1/2 seconds there alone on the leaders. Had a bad start, then a moments lapsed concentration and I was in the wall with no bonnet and a missing front right wheel :(

GP2: these cars are awesome! But difficult to drive. They did make me remember how much I love driving F1 cars though. Through practice I was running 5th in the low 1.33's. Good enough for a race, if I didn't fall off the track. Quali came, and I couldn't put a lap together...1.39 and last again.
Got a good start to the race though, made 2 places by the end of the first straight, then lost them by spinning at the first corner. A couple od laps later and I found the wall coming out of variante alta and broke off my nose, rear wing and had suspension damage. I gave up...but I'll be back to do it all again.

Something a little different and lots of fun. Clio race was a blast had good fights with Robinson, Gary and Parker. After qualify P2 I ended the race 3rd behind Ramon and Gary.

The open wheel cars didnt go as well. I was just getting the hang of them at the end of quali but never got the lap I wanted. Then in the race I never got it together and wrecked the car. The track was well suited for the car but it takes practice to master. Fun day and I didnt take anyone out. Thx Ramon great choice of cars and tracks, Need more of it. Marty:victory:

Clios were a big lovely paint scraping blast.
GP2 and the track were just excellent stuff,a bit tricky but one of Ramons setups helped a lot,it was going good having ace close stuff with Ben and Ramon until a curb bit me and spat me into a wall,i pitted hoping for repairs,but the car looked and felt the same when i went back out,race over,but enjoyable while it lasted,i would love to see more of those GP2 cars again.
Cheers Ramon and RD!

The event was fun, as intended. :)
For me both cars were new too. I practiced them a bit last weekend to make 2 sort of stable setups for the cars.

I was not aware my laptimes in the Clio were ok for the top times, and was surprised to find myself on pole. During the race Dave was all over me while my intention was to safe the tires a bit because 24 laps is still a lot.
After some defending I thought let him draft and take the lead, I will just follow and keep some pressure on.
Not much later Dave spun while braking on a curb and was facing the barrier for a while. He did however do a great recovery and if I am correct finished 3rd or 4th.
The rest of the race was ok for me, no difficult things and finished 1st :)

GP2 was next. I have done some practice on various tracks some months ago and wanted to race them. The setup was stable for me, but not the best setup. Car was touching the ground heavily and the gearing was far from optimal, but for some reason I was way faster then the rest.
Only in qualify the other topdrivers were closing in, with Hauka almost stealing my pole :)

Race started very well, Hauka started with wheel spin and lost some places. I knew the car was very tricky on cold tires/brakes so I did some easy laps while :ben: wanted to attack right from the beginning.
Then in the last corner the car jumped over the curb while accelerating a tiny bit too early. Lost momentum and :ben: could draft easy and had his car on the inside besides me.
For some reason I thought to brake late to make the corner outside, but while braking I was also on the curbs and the car spun into the grass and into the barrier. I was lucky it was not head on but a somewhat soft side impact.
Recovered in 4th or 5th and was soon on 3rd position, but the laptimes dropped a bit. Car was not steering strange, but the acceleration and braking sucked a bit.
I think :ben: made some mistakes because he was first 8+ seconds ahead of Gary and then they both were very close.
Due to one of them spinning and the other waited I think I could pass easily and stay at front.
Then when I viewed the fuel I saw it was not going right. Practice/Qual consumed less fuel than the race and I was short-shifting and ease down to safe fuel, but it was not working hard enough.
:ben: was closing in from 10+ seconds to 0 and I knew I needed a pitstop. 2nd Place was safe for me and decided to go in.
Then the next lap :ben: had to refuel too :) and during my pitstop he did not know why I was that slow and went into the pits.

The confused was my advantage and I passed him while he drove from the pits.
Still my car was not doing the laptimes I hoped, :ben: was closing in fast and he made a tiny mistake spinning in the hairpin. I think from that time he pushed a bit too much to close the gap and therefor lost more and more time and eventually had to give up.

Only Hauka and myself finished the race after 9 started drivers.
Thats always the problem with the open wheelers; most tin-top drivers start the race too reckless and this will almost always result in tears.
Better lower the laptimes by 1-2 seconds then ending into the barrier.

Thanks for the great racing, I did not expect to win both races but pleased I did :)

See you in the next event.

well, dont know how to drive frontwheelers so they are allways crap for me.
what comes to that formula thingie, in all honesty, they reminded me more of
some console arcade games that u drive with pad than proper mod for simulations.
but that is just my 5 cents on the matter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back