rF2 Clio Cup @ Silverstone (National) - Tue July 27th 2010

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Well that was reasonably successful.

Qualifying - yes, I'm slow. 6th and 8th, basically not my usual high hopes, but then, these cars benefit the guys who like understeering cars, which I really don't.

Race 1 - great start, up to 4th immediately, following Ivo, till I get a tap from Julien at maggots which puts me behind him and Ryan. We then have a great dice for several laps, side by side, defending, some slight contact but nothing big, before he takes himself out under braking for maggots. Post race, and I get shouted at by him... bit puzzled about this, but never mind. No harm done. 4th place, then, if Ryo gets his results sorted out.

Race 2 - from 8th, I jump a few places before I battle with Reggie before I squeezed through. Then I saw Julien Luca in front of me, and I closed the gap, lap by lap, pushing really hard, until he starts to make mistakes and run wide at a few corners, allowing me to catch further. My tyres go off and I have to push hard to keep the gap coming down, running wide myself twice at turn one through catching the kerb and getting sideways. Then, he makes a mistake lapping Can and I'm onto his tail - last lap, I squeeze through into brooklands, and hold on through the final corner (despite him trying to push his way past), and from the exit of Luffield I just beat him by a tenth.

Two good results for me.

Had a blast again.

Qualified poorly, as always. I agree with Toby - too much understeer in those cars, which tends to cause an "infinite loop of failure" when I drive.

R1 started nicely, I moved up couple places, grid was really tight around. Then suddenly, entering T1, I saw Sergio going really slow on the raceline (considering the usual speed around there). Was too late to do anything, I tried to avoid, but I slammed right into his rear bumper, getting a puncture, as I turned out two corners later. Sorry for that Sergio, I didn't benefit from it either, had to pit and finished practically dead last.

Q2: Rubbish. R2: Seconds before the lights started to light up I thought "Hey! I'll turn up the brightness a bit!" (my screen is usually set to around 25%). Started fiddlin' with the buttons and bam! Lights went green. Instantly lost 4 positions, even more during entire first lap. At my worst I was 21st, starting to feel really frustrated. But I managed to get my act together and started chasin' the pack, slowly improving my position lap after lap. When I caught up with Nick Cole, Lee Palmer and Tomek I've hit some kind of wall, wasn't able to post a good-ish laptime, slowly started to loose ground again.

But the best was still to come, as at one point Tomek closed in on Sergio and started battling with him. I took the opportunity at the end of the lap and got to positions after Sergio misjudged the braking point. Nick was trying to gain on me too, but we've got glued together with Tomasz again and passed the finish line almost bumper-to-bumper, taking 10th & 11th place.

Thanks for the event, Ivo. Altough I must say, that some drivers try too hard to stick with their lines developed in time attacks. I've seen (and felt some) a huge share of bumping in fast corners and at braking points, much of this stuff could've been avoided. Thankfully it was improving constantly and it was mostly crystal clear racing at the end.

Yeh full of time attack guys Lukasz to be fair, probably these guys are used to meganes on public sprint servers.
Just by the way, best comment of the night was your summary of Q2.

On the contray to the two above. I really like these cars. The nature of 3 wheels into a corner is just epic :p. However imo, I'm normaly a reasonable qualifyer, these however its the oppersite i'm better in race.

Race 1 I had a miserable qualifying. 18th Started i think. Had an okayish start trying to avoid incidents. Managed to make ym way up the grid having a few battle before Into Maggots I hit somones door mirror (c'mon own up whoever's it was). Punctured my tyre was awefull trying get back to pits. Eventualy got back and was last. Ludwig managed to put a lap on me but I managed to hold onto him so set a few good times. Finished last.

Race 2 I had a better qualifying. Quali'd 11th on grid. Had a good start again managed to get alongside Nick into turn 1 and past. Got through a few cars before the BRDC corner (don't know its name). Nick was trying a move down inside and there was a car up ahead sideways (not sure who). Well luckily for me it missed me but it hit Nick. After this I was behind Toby for a lap before I had a small run on him outside of turn 1 going into 2. I sort of tried to back out too late as I couldn't see him. In end we hit (i think you were ok? if not appologuies), I was sideways and then a car behind made sure I was going to spin. After this I was quite far down (by Nick again). He got past and we managed to get through some cars ahead together. Of of the green cars (Rob / Lukasz) was trying to defend Nick one lap and I managed to get a move on both of them up the inside of BRDC. Managed to close down on Adam and the two cars behind him. Got past 1 and when the other car got past Adam I managed to get Adam aswell. However issues on final lap when I thought race had finished when it hadn't I hit a wall and got a pucnture. All that hard work was gone finished last :(.

Did enjoy tonight though there was a good atmosphere pre race and alot of the racing was good. Thanks to Ivo for organizing this event :).

• Tomasz Zagórski

Nice time. Great battle, as mentioned Demolin @ Luke:). Thank you!

Rubbish night for me.

Q1: Did well to get 8th with a new PB.

R1: Good start but got taken out at turn 2 by someone who failed to wait. Made my way up from last to 11th only to get stuck behind someone who was cutting.

Q2: Set roughly the same time as I did in Q1 to get 11th.

R2: Made a good start and gained a few places early on. Then got caught by someone taking advantage of the run-off at turn 1 on every lap. He rammed me into turn 3 on one lap and then cut the inside of woodcote and drove right into the side of me sending me towards the wall and he decided to carry on. Finished in 8th.

Thanks to Ivo and RD.

Excellent night's racing from my point of view.

Q1: P3, battle for pole was fierce, just a tenth seperating the top 3.

R1: Start lights didn't work for me (and I was not appearing in the timing all race), thankfully I had the presence of mind to realise and launch when everyone else did. Dropped 3 places to 6th by T1, got back past Julien for 5th on exit of T1 and then tried to pass Toby into T2 for 4th. Didn't quite work and I emerged still in 5th. Then I made a big mistake on cold tyres at Brooklands, had to change down an extra gear and rev the nuts off it to keep on track, dropped back to 6th again. Julien and Toby make a bit of contact on lap 2, T2, I nip past Toby and then past Julien with a textbook switchback at Luffield. Off in pursuit of Ivo, Adam and Lud who have checked out a bit. Took me several laps to get to Ivo and managed to pass him after a few laps of pressure on the exit of Maggotts.

Caught up to Vaughany and we had a titanic battle with Ivo keeping a watching brief. Got past him on the outside of Brooklands :D. He had a few gos at getting back past but couldn't make one stick, few bits of contact nothing untoward, aside from the 100mph slide he sent me into at Copse :D. Nah it was all good, no advantage was taken. Then he outbroke himself into Maggotts and speared off into the gravel leaving me in a clear second. And Lud had his freeze which dropped him to 3rd poor lad, but gifted me the win.

Q2: Vaughany snatched pole from me with a last gasp effort, no Ludwig in this one.

R2: Took the lead off the line with a lovely start. Then Adam, ivo and myself had a monster battle literally all race long. One bit of side by side contact going towards Maggotts sent both our mirrors into Ivo's face :D. I managed to stay in the lead for the most part. It came down to the final lap. I ran in too deep into Maggotts and Vaughan took advantage. But unbeknown to me he was out of fuel and his engine coughed once down the straight making it 3 wide :D. I ran in too deep into Brooklands (again!). Both Ivo and Adam nipped past, then Adam's engine died going into Woodcote and Ivo snatched the win! Finished second.

Awesome, awesome fun. The best racing door handle to door handle racing I've had in a while - much respect to Adam and Ivo - racing hard and clean.

Look out Ivo!

rFactor 2010-07-28 14-17-29-14.jpg

3 wide, last lap, back straight:

rFactor 2010-07-28 14-19-17-89.jpg

One bit of side by side contact going towards Maggotts sent both our mirrors into Ivo's face :D.
Look out Ivo!

View attachment 27329

3 wide, last lap, back straight:

View attachment 27330

Yeh I saw the mirrors fly into ivos face. Was watcing from his car on board and as we tried to push each other inside/outside both mirrors fly at him lol. Awesome racing and really got me into rfactor this race. Was gutted about the fuel but the battle made up for that. Some clean racing and with some nice love taps which is what its all about with these clios....except for the 100mph lunge lol.

Awsome night! It was full of fights, very close racing!!

Q1: Rubbish-P21th half second slower then in Practice.

R1. Quite a nice start after T2 I was 16th fighting with Robert and Pedro, very close fight. In T3 (after the long straight-I don't know the name of the turn) it was a collision involving view cars and Pedro spun just in front of me I had no chance to avoid You, rebounded-went on the grass, and there hit someone else (I think it was Wayne-sorry I didn't have any control over my Clio). Try to catch up raced with Abdul. It was very hard, He had problems with connection, I think (invisible car, switching from my left to my right side...and bang...crash:frown:). Dropped to 21 again. Long driving trying to close the gap to Krzysztof and Adam, overtaking guys, who went to wide :cool:. 16th again. I caught up Krzysztof and tried to over take him, failed, grass, 17th. on the next lap I was hit by one of the lapped drivers, luckly I remainded on the track,and the guy apoligize me after the race, so no offence:wink:. During the last laps I tried catch up Wayne and I closed the gap to about half a second, but finshed behind him.

Q2: Better, but not even close to the time from the practice.P16th.

R2:Good start gained 2 positions. On the first lap tought, but fair fight with Ozan, we switch positions 3-4 times on one lap:). on the second lap on the "main" straight Jakub and Stefan had contact and just in front of me Stefan spun and hit barriers. I was very lucky, didn't hit him. Ufff. I was 11th:). Iwas trying to catch up Jakub, but it was hard, because he gaining about 0,3-05 sec. in fast T1 going wide:frown:. And than the fun had begun... Lee and Nicholas caught me up and pushed me very hard, but also very fair, no contact at all-great driving, including three cars entering the corner in the same time. Great battle. Lee overtook me, and after 3 laps when I thought I showed my best skills to didn't allow to be overtaken, we caught up Sergio and another great fight. Łukasz came in too. Another time three cars entering the corner in the same time with Nicholas just behind us. Sergio went very wide, Łukasz and Nicholas overtook me. In T1 Nicholas went slide and I overtook him. Last lap trying to overtake Łukasz, driving bumper to the bumper, making the fastest lap time and finished 10th just behind him.

Thanks to everybody I battled with. It was fantastic, very close, but also clean racing. Thakns Ivo and RD.
PS. I love this cars.:rolleyes:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 295 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years