Circuit of Wales Receives Government Boost

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
wales.jpg

Proposed development of £350 million Circuit of Wales international motorsport circuit, technology park and training facility has received a significant boost with news that the Welsh Government has now granted 'final approval' to de-register common land located within the planned motorsport development in Ebbw Vale.

After a number of setbacks in recent months this latest news will be a major boost to the Heads of the Valleys Development Company (HOTVDC) who are responsible for the planned venue.

HOTVDC have additionally confirmed that the full finance package is already in place for construction to begin and are in the process of completing due diligence.

Once this has been completed, the project will be publicly announced and detailed construction timelines will be revealed. Other news that adds additional credibility to the project is the addition of former Bahrain International Circuit CEO, Martin Whitaker, as the new CEO.

"Martin's track record speaks for itself as he is one of the few men operating at the top level of international motorsport whose experience covers almost every facet of the sport,” Michael Carrick, current Circuit of Wales CEO said.

“Martin has managed a modern Formula 1 venue at the Bahrain International Circuit, worked for both the sport's governing body, the Federation Internationale de l'Autombile (FIA), and its commercial rights holder, plus the UK's governing body - the RAC Motor Sports Association. Additionally, he has led a major motor manufacturer's competition department and one of the world's most celebrated racing series.

“The Circuit of Wales is already gaining experience and knowledge through our role as promoter of the British MotoGP. As we now focus our attentions on the build phase of the project, Martin's guidance and experience will be invaluable to realising its potential as a catalyst for investment in the local economy and across the motorsport industry in Britain.”​

With the rights to host the British round of the MotoGP World Championship already secured (Silverstone is currently standing in for the circuit until building works are completed) the future of the UK's newest race track looks to be in good hands...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

Receives

All that money spent and this awful layout is created? It has nothing to do with the layouts of the classic beloved British venues, might as well make it a proper place and not bother with F1 specs.

Receives

All that money spent and this awful layout is created? It has nothing to do with the layouts of the classic beloved British venues, might as well make it a proper place and not bother with F1 specs.
It isn't being built to F1 specs. I think the layout isn't actually bad at all; you can't even see the undulations in the article image, but you can here:
130618_3d_track_08_exg02_b.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't going to be an F1 graded circuit, it will be for MotoGP, touring cars, etc. I think the layout isn't actually bad at all; you can't even see the undulations in the article image, but you can here:
It just became even more interesting:)
Any idea what the total elevation change is?

• Deleted member 161052

It isn't being built to F1 specs. I think the layout isn't actually bad at all; you can't even see the undulations in the article image, but you can here:
How challenging would it be to brake then?

Looks nice with the elevation shown, should provide some technical challenge. There's always going to be some elevation change in a circuit in Wales given the absolute fact there's really only 3m² of flat ground in the whole country :)

£350m is an awful lot of money to spend if the circuit is intended to pay its way and be sustainable long-term. And the money they spent poaching MotoGP means they are going to struggle to make a profit on that unless they ramp up the ticket prices which is going to be hard to do in what will probably be the post-Rossi era by the time it opens.

Hard not to see it going the way of Rockingham and losing a bunch for the first owners before it eventually settles down as a good BTCC/BSB style circuit.

How challenging would it be to brake then?
Well it isn't Yr Wyddfa (Snowdon) if that's what you mean. It'll be similar to other circuits I suppose. Parts of it remind me of Spa, other parts of Road America, other parts of Portimao, and that part at the bottom is like Brands Hatch. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it (disclaimer: I am Welsh, but not blinkered by it)

England's newest race track?
I appreciate everyone's efforts such as the writers, but mistakes like that, and spelling mistakes like "recieves" keeps RD from being taken seriously as a news outlet (in my opinion, as a content writer and editor myself, of course; I know people don't often like criticism, even if it is constructive).

money would be better spent at Pembrey (in Wales) , which already exists or other struggling circuits like Mallory for example.
This will be a huge white elephant that Rockingham is, if it actually gets built.

At least... the races would always be 100% fun.
Rain 100%. :D
Based on all those Walles rally that I've played at least. :geek:

173216724-in-this-handout-image-provided-by-the-gettyimages.jpg

Some semi-hilly area seems fun but wish they made less slow curves and those hills would be better used.
Speaking of curves... they could made less ANY curves, it's just too many of them, I count 19 (hah my lucky number) of them.

edit:
Oh this is anticlockwise I see now. I thought it was the other way.
Circuit-of-WalesGP.b3bc7f8d5de7d537ffd9b049aec38c3e.png

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back