2017 Formula One Chinese Grand Prix

Chinese GP.jpg
After a disappointing Friday for everybody, when poor weather limited running in
FP1 and FP2, cars finally got on track in FP3 to prepare for the Chinese GP.

Sebastian Vettel leads the championship going into the second round of the championship, after winning the Australian GP two weeks ago.

FP3 report
Qualifying
Race

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Let us know all your thoughts on the Chinese race weekend in the comments below.

Last edited:
Vettel FP3.jpg

FP3

It’s advantage Ferrari after the first and only proper free practice session at Shanghai. Points leader Sebastian Vettel topped the timings, nearly four tenths of a second faster than Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas.

With limited running on Friday, there was plenty to fit into the one hour session ahead of qualifying later today. Both Ferrari and Mercedes started the session with long runs, trying to get an idea of their race strategy for tomorrow. It was far from an ideal race simulation, which is normally done on Friday during the longer sessions of FP1 or 2, meaning there’s more uncertanty going into the race than teams would normally have.

What we saw of the longer runs, it looks like Ferrari might just hold the advantage on Sunday.

That left Red Bull as the only “front runner” running real quick times, allowing Daniel Ricciardo to take the fastest spot early in the session. As Ferrari, Mercedes, and Williams started their flying laps later in the session, Ricciardo was demoted to seventh. Team mate Max Verstappen could only manage sixth.

Ferrari retained that advantage going into the qualifying simulations though, again, these practice runs weren’t the exact science we’re used to seeing on a Friday.

Multiple mistakes from both Mercedes drivers meant they lost time, but it’s unlikely they would have been able to close that gap to Ferrari even on a perfect lap. In the last minutes of the session, Hamilton set a purple first sector and a personal best in the second, only to run very, very wide at the hairpin, losing about half a second. His laptime improved, but he still stayed more than half a second slower than Vettel in P1.

It's worth noting that the long straight on the Shanghai circuit means we’ll really see the difference in power units come into play this weekend. Whilst the Ferrari and Mercedes look relatively evenly matched, with Ferrari possibly having the advantage, Renault are much further away, with the fastest Red Bull time more than 1.6s slower than Vettel’s fastest time. This will also significantly hurt sauber, who are running year old power units.

Honda are also a little off of the pace.

Most out of place in the session were Force India. Whilst Nico Hulkenberg managed to finish the session P11, team mate Esteban Ocon was way back in sixteenth, slower than anybody other than McLaren and Sauber.

FP3 Times:

1. Sebastian Vettel – 1:33.336
2. Kimi Raikkonen – 1:33.389
3. Valtteri Botas – 1:33.707
4. Lewis Hamilton – 1:33.879
5. Felipe Massa – 1:34.773
6. Max Verstappen – 1:34.946
7. Daniel Ricciardo – 1:35.092
8. Lance Stroll – 1:35.182
9. Jolyon Palmer – 1:35.192
10. Carlos Sainz – 1:35.223
11. Nico Hulkenberg – 1:35.449
12. Kevin Magnussen – 1:35.521
13. Sergio Perez – 1:35.626
14. Romain Grosjean – 1:35.680
15. Daniil Kvyat – 1:35.804
16. Esteban Ocon – 1:35.811
17. Fernando Alonso – 1:35.912
18. Marcus Ericsson – 1:36.063
19. Stoffel Vandoorne – 1:36.221
20. Antonio Giovinazzi – 1:36.705​

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lap by Hammy in Q3, that was mega! Really enjoying this battle between Lewis and Seb. Hopefully it'll be close on track tomorrow, even if wet.

Ricciardo only 3kph down on Vettel speaks of a struggle with maintaining efficiency as downforce is added. Shame as I expected Red Bull to be in the mix.

Well done to Alonso although the Honda managed to be only 13kph down which is impressive considering their troubles.

Last edited:
M63495.jpg
Qualifying

Lewis Hamilton took pole position with the fastest ever lap round the Shanghai circuit, but the battle for the second space on the grid came down to one thousandth of a second.

It was Sebastian Vettel at the top of the times in both Q1 and Q2, but the German couldn’t quite find the same amount of pace as Hamilton in the final part of qualifying. He was an even match for Hamilton’s team mate, though. Vettel and Valtteri Bottas’ times after their final laps of the day were a thousandth of a second apart, mere centimetres on the track. But it was Vettel who turned out on top, taking his second front row start of the season.

Earlier in the session there was plenty of drama as Antonio Giovinazzi span and hit a barrier at the end of the first qualifying session. It was almost an exact replay of what Romain Grosjean had previously done, but the Frenchman was able to keep his Haas out of the barriers and limped away from the incident with only a puncture.

The yellow flags were brought out to clear Giovinazzi’s Sauber, ruining laps for Stoffel Vandoorne, Grosjean, Jolyon Palmer, Max Verstappen, and Esteban Ocon, who were all eliminated. Grosjean and Palmer were later investigated for not slowing enough when passing the yellow flags, but nothing came of the investigation.

Of those dropping out, Verstappen was the big surprise. It was a difficult qualifying for the teenager, whose engine suffered a software problem. He returned to the pits without setting a lap time, almost hitting the barriers on his way in, but the problem continued when he eventually managed to set a flying lap. He was on another run when Giovinazzi crashed.

Fernando Alonso did manage to make it into Q2. He set the tenth fastest time in the first stage of qualifying, but could only put his McLaren Honda in thirteenth in the second session. The Spaniard said over the radio that he “pushed like an animal” and was told there wasn’t anything more to come from the car.

Full times

1. Lewis Hamilton – 1:31.678
  2. Sebastian Vettel – 1:31.864
  3. Valtteri Bottas – 1:31.865
  4. Kimi Raikkonen – 1:32.140
  5. Daniel Ricciardo - 1:33.033
  6. Felipe Massa – 1:33.507
  7. Nico Hulkenberg – 1:33.580
  8. Sergio Perez – 1:33.706
  9. Daniil Kvyat – 1:33.719
  10. Lance Stroll – 1:34.220
  11. Carlos Sainz – 1:34.150
  12. Kevin Magnussen – 1:34.164
  13. Fernando Alonso – 1:34.372
  14. Marcus Ericsson – 1:35.046
  15. Antonio Giovinazzi – no time
  16. Stoffel Vandoorne – 1:35.023
  17. Romain Grosjean – 1:35.223
  18. Jolyon Palmer – 1:35.279
  19. Max Verstappen – 1:35.433
  20. Esteban Ocon – 1:35.476

Last edited by a moderator:
1/1000 of a second. Huge gap between P2 and P3 :D

Haven't seen the session myself but Red Bull is really off the pace seeing the gap from Ricciardo to the guys above him. Or did he have issues as well like Max?

Mercedes with the slightly better car, Ferrari with the slightly better drivers..
This season will get way more interesting then i anticipated after the signing of Bottas

Mercedes with the slightly better car, Ferrari with the slightly better drivers..
This season will get way more interesting then i anticipated after the signing of Bottas
Not quite how I see it. Mercedes seem to have the better car over a single lap while Ferrari the slight advantage in race trim. The drivers are pretty well matched overall. Raikonnen struggling a little in comparison with the others at the moment with the car not exactly how he likes it but hopefully he will pick it up.

Not quite how I see it. Mercedes seem to have the better car over a single lap while Ferrari the slight advantage in race trim. The drivers are pretty well matched overall. Raikonnen struggling a little in comparison with the others at the moment with the car not exactly how he likes it but hopefully he will pick it up.
Well, i am in the faction of people who think that the driver makes more then 1% of the difference of pace, since there are quite a few obvious examples out there this season especially...

Well, i am in the faction of people who think that the driver makes more then 1% of the difference of pace, since there are quite a few obvious examples out there this season especially...
1% of Lewis his lap is 0.917 second. When both drivers are good they will be within 1% of each other.

1% of Lewis his lap is 0.917 second. When both drivers are good they will be within 1% of each other.
Well i didn't particularly mean qualy lap.
I was rather talking about winning, or getting a good result. Good drivers can "surpass" their cars, like Vettel or Alonso or Perez. It's not always "the car", when one driver is faster then the other one. People tend to get too car-focused when talking about results in my opinion.

Well i didn't particularly mean qualy lap.
I was rather talking about winning, or getting a good result. Good drivers can "surpass" their cars, like Vettel or Alonso or Perez. It's not always "the car", when one driver is faster then the other one. People tend to get too car-focused when talking about results in my opinion.
Yeah i get wat you are saying. When it comes to racing many more factors are in play i agree. Still though 1% is allot on the racetrack.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back