Chilton Not Representing GB ?

As I was watching the testing report on SSN I just noticed that Chilton had the English flag beside his nameinstead of the British flag, does anyone know the reason for this ?
8493624258_cc05225b47_m.jpg

Maybe he classes himself as being English instead of British? They're two different nationalties both in game and in real life.

English is not a "real life" nationality, there is only British passport, army, UN member, etc.

English is an "historical nationality" or "cultural nationality", but not formal/legal sovereign country.

In some sports invented in the UK there are 4 British teams, but this is also an historical privilege, an exception because the "regional" UK federations founded the sport, in all other sports they compete as UK.

You can't represent Great Britain, as it's just the name of the island, not the country.

It would be like a Spaniard representing the Iberian Peninsula

Except in the sports where UK has special historical privileges, an sportsman can only represent the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland, because that's the only sovereign state.

I understand that there is people that feels only English, Welsh, etc. but outside UK, officially, that are just regions of one country. Same way lots of Catalonians, Basques, etc. don't feel Spaniards. Catalonian Autonomous Comunity even has the official status of nationality, it has way more autonomy than Scotland, but it's also not a sovereign country,

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,[nb 5] commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) and Britain, is a sovereign state located off the north-western coast of continental Europe.

Certainly except for the exceptions I pointed out, you can't represent England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Even if Great Britain is a geographical name referred to the island, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland is sometimes referred as Great Britain in sports:

H-Adidas-W63335%20Front.jpg

For instance, the Olympic team is called "Team Great Britain", I don't know the exact reason but quoting wiki:

BOA also currently uses the brand name Team GB for the team, explaining that Team GB is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.[1][2]

No wonder many people is confused about what GB, UK and England really mean :D

From what I've seen from the early 2000's with the old timing. DC was represented with the Scottish or UK flag.

You have to look not to the TV things, but to the entry lists and the podium, where it is official. Every time a Scottish driver was on the podium, the UK flag was raised and if it was because a win, UK anthem was played.

That could very well change soon because of the independence referendum here in Scotland next year and it seems the majority are for it.

Yep, that would change it ;)

I was just pointing the current facts, not imposing any nationality to anyone.

In fact I think its great that the Scottish people can decide what they want to do, some other states with territories in the same situation should take example.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%