rFactor Pro

My father was a Navy fighter pilot for 24 years and an Airline pilot for 14, I tried to get him onto flight sims and he said they are harder to fly than in real life, there goes that father son bond.

I think this quote from Lewis Hamilton on Autosport is also something worth considering:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124814

"I don't drive the simulator a lot because it's not at its best at the moment - we're working on trying to make it better," Hamilton said.

"I don't do a lot of time in simulators. When I was at McLaren we did way too much.

"I could spend £100 on a PlayStation and learn the same amount."

How was it last year in Baku? New track, Hamilton didn't used the simulator. He had trouble adjusting the settings on the steering wheel and ended up in a wall. Rosberg had some trouble with the settings too, but solved it in short time. He trained and adapted the rhythm needed.
I'm sure Hamilton would have learned the shift rhythm, corner entry / exit points and adjusting all steering wheel settings (changing brake bias, changing diff settings, DRS, etc...several times per lap) with a Playstation controller in his hands. ;) As always he runs just a big mouth :p
Who is doing R+D and the base setup for the car? The test drivers together with the engineers on a simulator. ;)

That's the opinion of one driver. Some learn a lot with it, some don't. By searching a bit, you can find quotes from drivers saying that it's very useful. Latest example I saw being Jeff Gordon.

In a flight simulator, I don't think that you really need super accurate environments, contrary to circuit racing, you can't really compare.

Regarding tracks or cars, they cost quite a bit when you're a client, for a simple reason : if you, as a client are the only one to want that particular track, you have to pay in full for the costs.
And before someone says rF2 DLC, it would take a majority of the userbase buying that track to pay for the development costs + LiDAR data + licence.

Agree, though for fun only I'd counter one World Champion racing driver and as far as I know not being paid to promote any particular simulator. Many others say a lot about certain simulators when they are paid to do so. No Idea about Jeff Gordon on that front. As an occasional real track driver I find even the most basic simulator/video footage quite useful to learn the layout etc.

Your second point depends on the role of the simulator. Modelling of the dynamics of the aircraft vs the car probably needs to be more specific. Then there is scale, a decent commercial flight simulator needs some serious real estate. As this was about cost not direct comparability, and I did say all my ideas were a guess based commercial flight sims, I think the costs for both soon stack up.

Your 3rd point I fully agree, the more bespoke to your vehicle and accurate the terrain the more it costs.

My father was a Navy fighter pilot for 24 years and an Airline pilot for 14, I tried to get him onto flight sims and he said they are harder to fly than in real life, there goes that father son bond.

He must have enjoyed his time in the mil/commercial flight simulators of his day then! I have experienced plenty of racing games that make cars much harder to drive than the real ones though.

How was it last year in Baku? New track, Hamilton didn't used the simulator. He had trouble adjusting the settings on the steering wheel and ended up in a wall. Rosberg had some trouble with the settings too, but solved it in short time. He trained and adapted the rhythm needed.
I'm sure Hamilton would have learned the shift rhythm, corner entry / exit points and adjusting all steering wheel settings (changing brake bias, changing diff settings, DRS, etc...several times per lap) with a Playstation controller in his hands. ;) As always he runs just a big mouth :p
Who is doing R+D and the base setup for the car? The test drivers together with the engineers on a simulator. ;)

Like it, all fair points.

How did you get the idea this track is not laser scanned?
Alone recreating the graffiti from 1:50 min - 2:12 min took 3 weeks for one artist, it's not like with the AC or Iracing versions using fake graffiti or being censored, so you can imagine how 4 years sum up.
Well focusing on meaningless **** I can now see why it took so long... And if it was laser scanned they would just say it, right? Reproduce is a vague way of saying we used other data.

So I will go out on a limb and assume that ISI calculated the time it took multiple people working together to build the Nordschleife and estimated that if one person did the work, 8hrs a day 5 days a week it would have taken 4 years ?

Or, do they seriously expect me to believe the it took them the same amount of time to build a single track that it took Rockstar to create GTA 5 (4 to 5 years)

Nords in rF Pro doesn't look that much better than the mod version floating around the web. Although I will say the city environments look verrry nice! I'd love to rip that C6 Grandsport around some of those city streets!

This looks sweeeet

I had no idea JRL used rFPro, I have driven those roads around Gaydon lol

If you believe SMS and Mr Bell and some of his beta testers, Pcars2 will make RF Pro look very second rate and amateur. The race teams will be falling over themselves to use Pcars 2 for driver training. That track does look nice though.;)
I wonder what computer power is required to run RF Pro?
Man looking back on a comment like this is really fun. It’s also fun to look at everyone doubting rFpro when we now know that it would blow any other public sim out of the water.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back