Check Out the Latest rFactor 2 DX11 Preview Screens

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 2.jpg

Studio 397 have revealed a batch of new preview images from the upcoming DX11 update for rFactor 2.

Showing some impressive visual improvements ahead of the big update due on May 1st, the rFactor 2 DX11 build should also bring with it select performance enhancements alongside the visual changes to the simulation. In order to ensure a smooth transition to the new version of rFactor 2 Studio 397 have rather helpfully elected to make the update as part of an open beta programme, allowing those not wishing to migrate to the new build immediately the opportunity to retain the current version for as long as required.

Additional to the DX11 update Studio 397 will also be adding Virtual Reality support to the game for the very first time, allowing users of both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive to enjoy a full VR experience with the simulation. Although the proposed new UI interface will not be available initially upon release of the DX11 update, it is expected that VR support will work in headset with the current version of the game interface.

Not long to go until we can find out for ourselves.... :)

rFactor 2 is racing simulation exclusive to PC and available to purchase through the Steam Network right now. DX11 and VR support will release May 1st via open beta.

rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 3.jpg
rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 4.jpg
rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 5.jpg

If you want to keep in touch with all the rFactor 2 news and discussion check out the RaceDepartment rFactor 2 sub forum and get yourself involved in the community discussion. We will be hosting club racing events and of course have some great downloadable setups to download and try out. Head over and have a look!

rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 6.jpg rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 7.jpg rFactor 2 DX11 Preview 1.jpg

Looking forward to DX11 and VR in rFactor 2? Will you be trying out the update on May 1st? Let us know in the comments section below....

Last edited:
I really wish they'd tone down the DOF effect in their screenshots. I realize it's probably just to showcase "look what we can do now", but it doesn't look realistic at all. Especially in the first screenshot. That's not how DOF works...

really good rf2 the phoenix!?! ;)
Before: no dof, no colors, no effects, dont play for me too old looking :cry:
Now: too many dof, too many colors, too many effects, not real... come on...:cry:

Last edited:
I really wish they'd tone down the DOF effect in their screenshots. I realize it's probably just to showcase "look what we can do now", but it doesn't look realistic at all. Especially in the first screenshot. That's not how DOF works...
Being a photographer myself, I wholeheartedly concur. BUT...if THAT is the biggest post-DX11 gripe, I can live with it!

That is exactly how DoF works, assuming that you have a large aperture etc. (see this image). There is not one correct or "wrong" DoF level, it all depends on what type of camera you try to simulate.

Being a photographer myself, I wholeheartedly concur. BUT...if THAT is the biggest post-DX11 gripe, I can live with it!

Indeed :)

That is exactly how DoF works, assuming that you have a large aperture etc. (see this image). There is not one correct or "wrong" DoF level, it all depends on what type of camera you try to simulate.

We can certainly talk about whether or not the amount of DoF effect is realistic for that given scene (I don't think it is) and what lens would be needed IRL to achieve it, but that's not my main problem with the screenshot. My main problem is that the DOF in that screenshot doesn't make any sense - you have three cars in the foreground, each at different distance from the camera, yet all three of them are pinpoint sharp. Right behind them, there are two other cars not far behind - yet suddenly, they're quite blurred, almost the same amount (if not exactly the same amount) as the cars in the background quite far back. This is what I was referring to when I said that DOF doesn't work like this. Because it doesn't (well, maybe with some kind of tilt shift lens you *could* get close to something like this, but that's an entirely different topic). It looks fake as hell - exactly as fake as the false DOF effect you can find in most camera/photo apps for smartphones nowadays. And the image you're linking has the exact same problem - it is just a very simple DOF effect simulation (with several blur steps actually clearly visible) to illustrate the point, not an actual large aperture shot (which would be almost impossible to get IRL, given its subject, focal point and approximate focal length of the lens needed).

Listen, I get it. DOF is incredibly hard to get right because it is a very complex effect as far as simulating it goes. It wouldn't be feasible to have a realistic looking DOF effect in a game - it would require a tremendous amount of power for what is basically just a camera effect. I also perfectly understand that DOF effect has to be added to a game as people think it looks cool and are pretty much expecting it nowadays, which is also most certainly why they're making it so prominent in their screenshots. Still, it doesn't change the fact that I can't help but cringe when I see a DOF effect like this, and I'd rather prefer it being toned down to not grab my attention as much.

Stuart Gillard

Sir Ropey
Yup I think you are right, it is DOF but there is too much of shift in focus from the front 3 cars to the ones behind, it needs to be more of a gradual shift (the game which I think does this well is AC) however there will more than likely be a option in the game to turn this effect off and possibly even a config file or something which will enables us to change the intensity of it or the graduation.

Other than that I'm quite looking forward to seeing what DX11 has to offer in rF2 and VR support being a Rift user, it's a much needed step forward for this sim, however it's a shame it isn't jumping to a more up-to-date lower level API, something like DX12 or even Vulkan but it's certainly an improvement over what we've had for a few years now.

And so we get...people complaining about people complaining.

Also, can't believe there are still people who say things like "stop criticizing and go do it better yourself". Oh well.

Just a reminder:
- The dx11 update is just the first step...
- New shaders/effects will arrive later...
- Updated rain effects will not be present at first but they are working on it...
- New UI will arrive soon...

So, even if we can already see some big improvements, we are just at the beginning...just give them time to improve their work ;)

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
I like that Studio 397 is committed to getting rF2 to a level of excellence without asking anything more from the customer.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000