Check out the Brand New Formula E Design

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Formula E 2018.19 Car 1.jpg

Slicker, faster, longer running? Yup, that's the new for 2018/19 FIA Formula E electric race car!

Named as the Gen2 and brand new for the 2018/19 FIA Formula E season, this latest creation from the governing body of world motorsports offers a striking visual difference from the previous generation of car that has participated in the first four seasons of the FIA Formula E championship. Incorporating the now standard safety 'Halo' device and promising to offer double the power and longevity of the previous generation machine, the new Gen2 appears on face value to be a step up in every department, something Alejandro Agag, Founder & CEO of Formula E was keen to state at the launch party for the new car earlier today:

“This car represents the future of racing. When we started Formula E, our goal was to break the mould and challenge the status quo - bringing a revolution to motorsport. This next generation car represents that revolution. The cars will be faster and will have almost double the amount of energy storage capacity and double the range, demonstrating the continuous evolution of battery technology. Together with the FIA, we’ve achieved a great milestone with the introduction of this car and I can’t wait to see it on track.”
Formula E 2018.19 Car 4.jpg

The main advantage of the new cars that will be most noticeable out on circuit is the ability to now run at full power throughout the race, without the need to perform the sometimes awkward mid race car swop seen in previous seasons. Running at almost double the energy storage of the earlier iteration of car, the new Formula E electric race machine shows plenty of improvements in this relatively new power source technology, one of the key selling points of the championship when it was first introduced by the FIA and Agag back in 2014.

Check out the new introduction video for the latest Gen2 car below:

Formula E 2018.19 Car 2.jpg
Formula E 2018.19 Car 3.jpg

For more from the world of motorsports, check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - go on, get involved in the conversation now!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

So what do you think of the 2018 vintage of a Formula E car? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Wow!!!! This is exciting. As a fan of FE, I can't wait to see that car in action. I like the fact that it does not look like a smaller F1, like the current car does. It gives FE a more distinctive identity. I also like the fact that the front wing has been replaced by a spoiler. Currently, the front wing of the FE car is always damaged when the cars collide.

I just don't get the hostility against FE. It does not have to run on fuel to be good, folks. It's a good show, with good drivers, and it's not there to replace anything, it's just one more type of racing.

BOOO!! BOO!!!!!

When they released the first sketch, it had an aeroscreen, not that gawd-awful halo. Lord I hate that!!!!

Otherwise the car is sharp and futuristic, like a hot wheels car. I don't think the nose is going to pass EU pedestrian safety standards, so no more street races? :)

Anybody has some details about the new battery technology? That sounds quite interesting.

Not interested in Formula E but the tech behind it is still (unfortunately) our only foreseable future...

looks terrific to me and with the awkward car change out of the way, i suppose these guys are on the right track. speaking of which, i hope the tracks will be a bit wider and less prone to 90 degrees turns, two features which have so far made races a bit of a pain to watch at times, mickey mouse racing. on straights and in longer turns the racing looked great to me.

on a side note: this is soooo waiting to be turned into a michel vaillante graphic novel ...

looks terrific to me and with the awkward car change out of the way, i suppose these guys are on the right track. speaking of which, i hope the tracks will be a bit wider and less prone to 90 degrees turns, two features which have so far made races a bit of a pain to watch at times, mickey mouse racing. on straights and in longer turns the racing looked great to me.

on a side note: this is soooo waiting to be turned into a michel vaillante graphic novel ...
A Michel Vaillante without the WROOOOOMs and WUUUUUUUSHes

Definitely not an open wheel car anymore. More prototype but that's ok. I'm not a hater and I watch the races but the sound is well.....very sad. Maybe they could have a digital audio track that mimics what we get in sim racing.

On another note, it's good to see they'll be able to do a whole race but am I the only one that sees that as a disadvantage compared to the current car? With the Gen 2, if you have a mechanical or electrical you're out, fini, done. Also if your first car had damage or the set-up was off, you might still have a chance with car 2 unless it happened too early. I kind of liked that. It gave the teams some options. :D;)

To be honest I like the new design, the previous one was too similar to an F1 car, the new one looks more like a new category which suits better for a new technology like elettric engines...
About sound, the actual is ok it needs to be louder to remind wipeout games lol

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years