Cheap direct drive wheel base

Hi
Do you guys know that a Ukraine company called Feel VR is about to launch their fist product which is direct drive wheel base in February or March and IT ONLY COST $333!!!! We don't have much information about it but I just want to know your thoughts.

I don't know - you tell me. My only experience of wheels for some racing comprises of a DFGT and my current T500RS. I run my T500RS on 100% in the control panel and 40% in AC. It's good but I feel like I am fighting too much to turn the wheel when trying to catch a slide. Would a DAD wheel alleviate this problem? Or am I chasing an unobtainable feeling?

Upvote 0
I don't know - you tell me. My only experience of wheels for some racing comprises of a DFGT and my current T500RS. I run my T500RS on 100% in the control panel and 40% in AC. It's good but I feel like I am fighting too much to turn the wheel when trying to catch a slide. Would a DAD wheel alleviate this problem? Or am I chasing an unobtainable feeling?
I'm catching slides much more easily since I've gone from a TX to a CSW 2.5, would imagine a DD being much better.

Upvote 0
Some pro simracers run without FFB at all, but crank the return center spring in the control panel way up. Makes it easier to catch slides instantly since you dont have to fight the wheel. I use this approach and have done for 15 years. Its a unique way of driving, and takes some getting used to, but it works.

Upvote 0
I received this earlier:

Beta Testers Wanted

As we said earlier, we are getting ready for the roadshow in Europe and the US before our launch.

We expect to hit the road in March, and we plan to do one-day Direct Drive Wheel and Pedals test drives in large cities.

In order to understand which cities we should visit we ask all those interested in participating to fill out this short Google Form:

Feel VR Beta Tester Application {I've removed the link}

And, please, share this news with all your friends. This is important because our decision to go (or not to go) to a certain city will be based on statistics and the number of applicants.

So, spread the word and get ready to put the pedal to the metal!

Upvote 0
Although I purchased an OSW kit just recently, i'm also still keen for this new low cost wheel. This, and the new Fanatec DD to be exact.

With regards to the "excessive" torque of the DD wheels:
It is not the maximum amount of torque, but primarily the dynamic range, the resolution, and the self alignment capability due to the speed the wheel can turn, that makes these DD thingies so good.

Upvote 0
Sometimes the tire model in a sim makes more difference than the brand of FFB wheel. Fanatec used to have a setting for drifting called "Linearity" in the wheel driver. ( R/C drivers call this expo)That would do what you are looking for, but it has been removed in the latest drivers. Also any settings in the FFB that relate to grip weight makes a difference. There are several very fast drivers who use the T500RS. so it's not bad at all. What I have read about DD wheels is that they give more detail about road texture than other high end wheels. I have a CSL Elite PS4 and it has a little less fine road detail than my old Fanatec wheel, but the grip weight and feel otherwise is much better. My lap times are now better, but driving an old junk car model still feels like a high end Lexus.
I suggest trying a better tire model like the new Porsche 911 GT3R in Race Room Experience.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice their website was updated recently, and they jacked the price up to $599 (from $388) for being an early bird? Which they now claim is 40% off retail, making retail $1000 (up from ~$700 that they claimed before).

Hmmmm... If you werent skeptical before...

Looks like they also finally put out an actual video showing the product as it was back in October.

Upvote 0
This is probably my only chance for a DD wheel which before was a pipe dream.
Even if it would cost $1000 it would be in my price-range so to speak. Dont
forget it comes with 2 rims(ugly as hell but hey) and pedals with loadcells.

Upvote 0
I've never understood the torque thing. The newest DD wheels have so much torque they could snap a wrist. Granted, thats realistic if you hit a wall, but whats the point? Focus and marketing should be centered around lowest latency possible, smoothest operation possible and the most accurate presentation/feel of what the front tires are doing on the road. Not this torque nonsense.
Offtopic, but why noone other than ECCI has tried fluid based wheels is beyond me. Most real cars and racecars are made with hydraulic steering racks...
I always treat my OSW like the back end of a donkey when loading up a game for the first time. Its lethal at times.

Upvote 0
My theory about these new DD consumer wheels (meaning not coming from DIY community) is that, they use a Nema34 stepper motor or similar, as they are cheap. They come at around 12Nm. There was a guy in xsimulator forums who invented a torque controller board for these stepper motors, but never made it past prototype phase. If there is a company that has the resources to implement a similar board with higher fidelity, the cost can be significantly cheaper than an OSW.
In the industry, stepper motors are speed conrolled, not torque controlled, therefore there are no readily available controllers can function as a force feedback device.
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/h...3nm-1841ozin-5a-86x86x150mm-34hs59-5004s.html

Upvote 0
My theory about these new DD consumer wheels (meaning not coming from DIY community) is that, they use a Nema34 stepper motor or similar, as they are cheap. They come at around 12Nm. There was a guy in xsimulator forums who invented a torque controller board for these stepper motors, but never made it past prototype phase. If there is a company that has the resources to implement a similar board with higher fidelity, the cost can be significantly cheaper than an OSW.
In the industry, stepper motors are speed conrolled, not torque controlled, therefore there are no readily available controllers can function as a force feedback device.
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/h...3nm-1841ozin-5a-86x86x150mm-34hs59-5004s.html
Yes, I also think so. Same as the Accuforce, just for a fair price. Nema 34 12,5NM runs for about 150€ at aliexpress. You only need a board, that converts torque to step (pwm to dir) and a software (MMOS). That's what Craig Hoffman did at xsimulator and I am also sure that's what those guys did. It also possible to this with an arduino, but a dedicated board will give you better performace. As accuforce showed us. I would not even be suprised if MMOS would be required/used. But I woulnd not expect the performance of a simucube/mige setup.

Upvote 0
Kind of regret I didn't chime in at the low price. Failing everything else you get a bunch of parts that might be reusable elsewhere, and you learn interesting engineering details either way. In fact you learn more if the thing kinda works but kinda sucks.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 361 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years