Chase Carey Interested in Introduction of Standard F1 Parts

If it's too difficult to type a simple google search then yeah no examples, they don't exist. Have you ever had an IQ test performed? Tip: don't.
So you want me to do your research and find your sources? Not going to happen. Truth is you don't have any idea what you are talking about and when you are even slightly challenged to post ANY facts you get all butthurt and throw a tantrum like the big boy you are.

its sad, something like F1 is getting the attention, where something really exciting like WEC is loosing the main players becasue the show doesn't pay the bills :(

I don't think F1 being cheaper will make it better

Call me crazy...

imo it's not about being cheaper or even better racing, It's about being fairer

I said years back they should use a control tyre and got pillared ! ..... but here we are

Control engines is the next step imo
Do we want to see the best driver win or richest team ? ;)

Other measures for mine would be to do away with pit-stops, run 3 races a round with triple points, reverse grids for one race a round

Tell me that would not be exciting, Lewis, Seb and Max having to come through field once a round

The first laps of F1 race is usually the most exciting so why not have 3 times as many ?

Parts that can be standardized are all the parts that dosent affect the racing from a fans point of view, like the gearbox, clutch, suspension, satefy stuff, electronics, hydraulics, carbon materials etc. Then leave the engine, aero and hybrid for open development.

This is a suicide. Because every team needs to design an own chassis, and if you put for example standard suspension struts, standard dampers... the car can go wrong. If I'm explaining well.

The user who understands advanced car dynamics, it could understand probably, what I want to explain.

It depends what direction you want F1 to take. If you want top notch development, newest and most advanced technology, then yes I agree, but if you want to 100% cater for the fans and the racing, all those things dosent matter.
I'm interested in the technical side of the sport as much as everyone else here, but when it comes to the actual racing, I couldnt give a rats ass about what suspension setup is on the car. Or the gearbox, or the clutch. I care about what tires they're using (from a strategic viewpoint), how they look, how the aero works when they're close to eathother, how well they control the power and the brakes - everything I can see and hear and has a relation to actual racing on the track.

This is a suicide. Because every team needs to design an own chassis, and if you put for example standard suspension struts, standard dampers... the car can go wrong. If I'm explaining well.

The user who understands advanced car dynamics, it could understand probably, what I want to explain.
Naturally you can not just take a standard part and force everybody to use it mid-season but if the part was forced to be used on the next season every team would have time to make their car to work with the standard parts.

That being said I'm kinda against standardising any visible parts of the car. One of the strengths of f1 is how the cars look different and this season. When indycar releases new bodies they do it maybe once every 5 years. In wec it is once per two years per team. F1 does it 10 times every season plus mid season upgrades. For 2017 for example many teams have very different front suspensions because of the wider track compared to last year. Mercedes and red bull for example have very different upright steering arm setup which is probably something we would not see with standard parts.

For the same reason I would not want standardised noses or wront wings. The cars have different solutions and look different which I think is important. But at the same time simpler front wing would be better for racing so the airflow over it doesn't stall and lose efficiency as soon as there is dirty air. But for parts that are inside the car and never seen I could not care less really. The teams are already doing all they can to show as little as possible. A standard part would do the job much more cheaper and nobody outside the team's technical people could tell a difference.

A standard floor for example seems like a no-brainer. Nobody ever sees the floor anyways. But front wings or rear wings... I'd prefer those to have as much freedom as possible just because it is interesting to see how teams come to different solutions or sometimes converge to one.

The Cosworth DFV was about has standardized has F1 Has ever been also most used the same makes of gearbox Like ZF most teams used brake disc's made originally for fighter jets , F1 was not at the super Hi-tech levels we now see. for engine power it was almost a level playing field it was clever design's that made the difference & not the backing of a some major auto brands pouring billions into engine development year in year out. some would say the slide to what we have today started with the Renault Turbo's & major factory support that could bank roll failure after failure that Renault did suffer all the way to the end of the first Turbo Era. By that time F1 had been taken over by major players Honda Fait/Ferrari , BMW, Porsche/TAG, All the other teams were force to follow along or get out of F1 & many did over the last few decades , at the same time Carbon fiber became the norm adding huge gains in safety but at a very high price. with the current state of F1 I see now way that the likes of the Major Factory teams will agree to standardized parts , maybe if its limited to Transmissions & suspension parts , but not engines , that would de-value their R&D for future road power plants.
The up side could be that big factory backing come's to an end , that would create I big issue to find a engine supplier to build a engine for all bar Ferrari.
leveling the performance could be good , but it would also need some freeing up of the rules so gains can be made through pure design with out restricting designers in the way they have been for a long time. I would love to see a new Colin Chapman or a Gordon Murray or the next Adrian Newey & many other who bent & pushed the rules to the 10th Degree but gave use some of the best racing cars of all time. Back when you saw many different shapes of cars on the grid , amazing progress has been made in F1 , but at a cost of what it has become today, the show has to be improved , though I would prefer the racing to be improved , to much time has been wasted trying make the perfect F1 race for TV.

A driver only wants to compete if there i a chance to win without question that is why Hamilton loves racing because his car i capable of overtaking almost anybody else, if he could not overtake most of the grid he would be pulling out like he did in spa 2014.

I think the problem is comprehensibility. For now, almost people can't understand the reasons such questions;"why ferrari is fast?" or "why McLaren is so slower in almost track but they could run faster in Hungaroring?".
Standard parts will bring more understandable races. This could be problem.
Are we need understandable races? Or mystery of motor racing?

I guess number of passing is not a problem. Just a impression.
If Formula one has near 900 of passing in a year, but some people will say "Formula one is boring. there is no real overtakes!". Yes, I said it.
I need the passing like "walk-off home run". It's great to see if it come after 5 cars battle for win.

This is a great idea and in my mind one that will work, if handled correctly.

Lets take a look at Aussie V8 SuperCars, they have, in the name of parity, standardised aero, suspension, engine components, brake components, even the gen2 chassis are standardised. The cars weight and horsepower are all the same, yet many of the components are manufactured by Triple8 (Holden), and DJR (Ford) they also lease engines to other teams, the engines are exactly the same as the ones in their cars, they also prepare cars for some teams. Even the Nissans (Kelly Racing) have come to the front now after a few years of development and are consistently in the top10, Brad Jones racing is a small budget team compared to the above mentioned teams, but constantly "punch above their weight" all due to controlled components and regulations.

Triple8/Redbull were dominant for many years through the talents of Craig Lowndes, Jamie Whincup and now with Van Gisbergen, and it's only now that DJR/Penske have started to push them for poles & wins via Scott McLaughlan & Fabian Coulthard, and it's not due to the cars, it's due to the drivers. When a field of 28-30 cars has less than 1.5seconds between 1st and last it makes for very intense racing, not only for the butts in the stands, but for the teams and drivers.

Also lets not forget how well Volvo went in their debut season, if the parity regs weren't in place do you think they would of been as competitive?, definitely not.

If Liberty Media manage this correctly they can take F1 to new heights IMO, one of the problems with F1 is budgets, the difference between the haves and have not teams is massive, hence the have not's employ heavily financially backed payed drivers just to have the money to stay in the game, then they have to hand over massive amounts to lease noncompetitive engines from the top factory teams, while the top teams can employ talented drivers who get payed multi millions and have enormous budgets due to reaping millions in leasing Bspec engines.

Of course these ideas will ruffle some feathers, but more so Ferrari & Mercedes as there dominance will be threatened, hence neither team was willing to lease engines to RedBull when RB were at loggerheads with Renault, they knew that RB could potentially shake up their dominant position and win races. It will also diminish the financial benefits from hybrid engine leasing.

One of the biggest issues I see in F1's past is the manufacturers having an active role in the car regulations, this idea was never going to benefit all parties, and is one reason why F1 (Liberty Media) is taking the approach it is now, and I agree with it, no team or factory should have a controlling factor within the regulations in a sport it competes in. But this is what Bernie was best at, playing the teams, and he created the scenario we see today in F1. I just hope for the sake of F1 that Liberty can find the balance that will create fair competition, as the pinnacle of motorsports and it's future, is in their hands.

I realise some will disagree with the above, and it's fine to have your own opinion, but when you really look at it, component parity and controlled regs can have very positive outcomes for all parties.

Well, just my 2 cents.

They already put DRS, the worst rule on my point of view. Who cars for a rule that real put teams closer if they put a rule that only the car that is behind can have a chance to use? Power to Pass buttons like on others auto sports with the same number of usage for all pilots make more sense thant that DRS rule.

A rule must be applied for everyone. If this is the case, its fair, if not, it is just unfair.

Naturally you can not just take a standard part and force everybody to use it mid-season but if the part was forced to be used on the next season every team would have time to make their car to work with the standard parts.

That being said I'm kinda against standardising any visible parts of the car. One of the strengths of f1 is how the cars look different and this season. When indycar releases new bodies they do it maybe once every 5 years. In wec it is once per two years per team. F1 does it 10 times every season plus mid season upgrades. For 2017 for example many teams have very different front suspensions because of the wider track compared to last year. Mercedes and red bull for example have very different upright steering arm setup which is probably something we would not see with standard parts.

For the same reason I would not want standardised noses or wront wings. The cars have different solutions and look different which I think is important. But at the same time simpler front wing would be better for racing so the airflow over it doesn't stall and lose efficiency as soon as there is dirty air. But for parts that are inside the car and never seen I could not care less really. The teams are already doing all they can to show as little as possible. A standard part would do the job much more cheaper and nobody outside the team's technical people could tell a difference.

A standard floor for example seems like a no-brainer. Nobody ever sees the floor anyways. But front wings or rear wings... I'd prefer those to have as much freedom as possible just because it is interesting to see how teams come to different solutions or sometimes converge to one.
The floor is the most important part of the car. 0 standarization plz.

The f1 is for strong budget teams only.

I'd vote for a spending cap, but the problem is policing it. I'd rather see that than standard parts. If there was a spending cap then you could lift a lot of the technical restrictions. Its a win-win if they can make it work.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 326 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%