Tracks Chang International circuit [WIP]

Well... tracks in games don't look great to me if there's no indication that they've been used. Just plain asphalt looks unfinished, lacking details and references. IRL during a race weekend with several series running you wouldn't expect the track to look pristine either. And there's a maximum amount of skidmarks if I'm not mistaken (and should you check the replay during a session they're gone).

Sure there should be some marks but it is often WAY overdone.

For example this is lap 85 of 90 at the glen Nascar race @ T1. Notice there are a few mistake marks here and there but not 1000 individual little skid marks in the brake zones.

upload_2018-3-10_22-3-57.png

Same track, totally different car, similar look
upload_2018-3-10_22-8-30.png

To be clear this isn't a dig on Mitja as Kunos is guilty of this too.
Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_ks_laguna_seca_10-3-118-22-25-4.jpg

Real life. Again not saying there are no marks in real life just not at the level shown in sim.

upload_2018-3-10_22-26-55.png

Last edited:
@LilSki Looking at your pics it seems like the skids on the racing line get somewhat cleaned or "blurred" by the cars passing on them (which probably remove the bigger particles of rubber) and what remains is a big "blurred" area of rubber that must be almost flat with the tarmac.

@LilSki Looking at your pics it seems like the skids on the racing line get somewhat cleaned or "blurred" by the cars passing on them (which probably remove the bigger particles of rubber) and what remains is a big "blurred" area of rubber that must be almost flat with the tarmac.
Yeah that is what it seems like anyway. The main groove where the cars run seems to cleans off any skidmarks. Anyway I just got done messing with some brake marks on Watkins. This is a bit more believable to me.

Screenshot_bmw_z4_gt3_watkins_glen_11-3-118-1-12-9.jpg

Sure there should be some marks but it is often WAY overdone.

For example this is lap 85 of 90 at the glen Nascar race @ T1. Notice there are a few mistake marks here and there but not 1000 individual little skid marks in the brake zones.

View attachment 240135

Same track, totally different car, similar look
View attachment 240136

To be clear this isn't a dig on Mitja as Kunos is guilty of this too.
View attachment 240138

Real life. Again not saying there are no marks in real life just not at the level shown in sim.

View attachment 240139

No, I think the skid marks are actually pretty appropriate for major race weekends. That's not far from how Laguna Seca looks like during or after the IMSA weekend. The rubbered-in racing line itself is a different matter, it's pretty dark at 100% grip.

Of course, that's not how the track always looks. And I suppose that's where we have an issue with AC - the lower track grip settings might just be too slippery - so people race at 100% to start with and don't allow for the grip build-up to change the track from lightly used to fully rubbered in (incl. visuals).

No, I think the skid marks are actually pretty appropriate for major race weekends.

The pictures of the real track that LilSki posted were from a major race weekend, near the end of the main event, and they look nothing at all like what we have in game. I agree completely with LilSki. The photo evidence doesn't lie, in this case.

The pictures of the real track that LilSki posted were from a major race weekend, near the end of the main event, and they look nothing at all like what we have in game. I agree completely with LilSki. The photo evidence doesn't lie, in this case.
Yeah, and there are also images that show substantial skid marks. As I wrote, the circuit doesn't look like that all the time. So tell me, how does that invalidate my post?

Yeah, and there are also images that show substantial skid marks. As I wrote, the circuit doesn't look like that all the time. So tell me, how does that invalidate my post?

The only photo in Lilski's post that shows a substantial amount of individual skid marks is a screenshot of Laguna Seca. Not a photograph. All the real life photographs show a diffused dark line, with a sprinkling of, generally lighter, skidmarks.

Tracks don't get covered in a plethora of individual skid marks the way many circuits in AC are depicted.

Tracks don't get covered in a plethora of individual skid marks the way many circuits in AC are depicted.
You're sure?
Louis_Yio_2016_Speedhunters_Monterey_Grand_Prix_16.jpg

2017-IMSA-Laguna-Seca-367.jpg

2012c6rlaguna46.jpg

Larry_Chen_Speedhunters_Laguna_seca-10.jpg

2017-laguna-seca-world-sbk-results-3.jpg

As I wrote, yes, the track doesn't look like that all the time. Yes, the racing line (groove in AC) is too dark (and sometimes IRL it's the racing line that's a tad lighter than the surrounding area covered in marbles). And the visual rubber build-up linked to grip level in AC doesn't really work that well because the lower grip levels are perhaps too low so you always start racing at a track full off rubber. And personally, I'm fine with less visible groove and skid marks. I just don't think Kunos tracks are way overdone (ignoring the groove).

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. Ultimately track modders should do what they think looks best/most realistic.

Darkness of skid and brake marks are adjustable in ksWditor, thats not a problem. I will try to come as close as possible. But ad you said, the, are not always the same. Depends on many factors in RL.

Work goes on and on... Didn`t mean to include in 1st release, but...
Today I prepared the base terrain for the drag racing. You can see there on the left side where is nothing inside "green", there comes drift and maybe motorcross as well - for some off road cars and bikes if AC simulates ;)
btw, does anyone find any good onboard replay from drift?

3ds max:
chang_5_15b.jpg

ksEditor:
chang_5_15.jpg

Last edited:
Had not checked out this thread for a while, looks really promising :).

About the skid marks: I guess they also heavily depend on which tires are used, for example Formula E uses extremely hard tires which hardly wear out at all while the ones which Formula 2 uses get destroyed within 25 minutes. So I guess you will never get it right for types of cars/tires.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back