1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cautions and Rules Explained, Please Acknowledge

Discussion in 'Xbox One | World Endurance Challenge' started by Michael Watts, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Michael Watts

Michael Watts
    XB1 Gamertag: michaei watts Premium Member

Cautions are a fact of life in Real Racing. Below are the FIA rules for the Virtual Safety Car with a few small edits to make the rules relative for our League. I realize that is a large wall of text but here are just a few points to clarify the important stuff! :thumbsup:
    1. (2) or More Drivers involved with Contact creating Damage effecting the drive of the car or blocking partially or all of the track can request a Caution by both/multiple Drivers communicating "Crash Crash Crash"
    2. If a Car has crashed and lost a Wheel and is limping around the track, That Driver, and (1) other Driver can request a Caution by communicating "I've lost a Wheel" or witnessing a car driving on 3 wheels.
    2a. If you Lose a Wheel, a Caution will be thrown for safety. However, If that Driver "On Three Wheels" cannot return to the Pits by the end of (1) full Caution lap He must Retire to the Pits or Risk not being scored/DQed.
    3. After Caution is Called You must slow to a reasonable safe speed. You can then "catch up" to the Leader on the "Full" or "One to Go" lap. Leader will maintain the prescribed Caution speed during the Full Caution Lap** (Track specific)
    4. Leader must maintain a determined speed or Minimum lap time. It is the other Drivers responsibility to catch up to the field before the Green Flag. This may be on a Track by Track basis as some restarts could occur at Pre-determined spots other than the Start/Finish Line.
    5. Anybody can Pit for tires, Including the Leader, once Caution is Called. If you stop on the track or slow excessively below the minimum Caution speed you can be passed for position. (It is conceivable for the Leader or front runners to Pit for Tires before the field catches up in some instances)
    If the Leader is in Sector 2 or Sector 3, he may reduce speed and pit for tires before dropping to the mandatory prescribed Caution speed for the Caution Lap. If the Leader has just crossed the Start/Finish Line he must slow to a Reduced Pace as the field catches up.
    It is Recommended to Use the Map on pCars Dash if you have this available.
    6. Although this will be hard to enforce, It would be best to Maintain a (1) Car Length between you and the Driver ahead in case we slow pace speed for a corner. This will allow you room to warm brakes and tires. Show Courtesy and Respect for your Fellow Drivers, Treat them the way you want to be treated.
    7. Leader controls the Restart until the Pre-Determined Start Point. After the Starting Point you may pass at will.
    Violation of these rules are report-able by Formal Protest by any Driver and will be reviewed in Replays for Validity. For if any Penalties may ensue. Lets stay honest Gentlemen :thumbsup:
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Virtual Safety Car Rules:
    1.1 The VSC procedure may be initiated to neutralize a race upon the order of the League Administrator. It will normally be used when double waved yellow flags are needed on any section of the track or Multiple Cars (More than 2) are involved in an incident and have incurred Damage. It will take the request of (2) or more drivers to Initiate a caution flag period.
    1.2 When the order is given to initiate the VSC procedure a message “Caution” will be Called out on the official messaging system. (Party Chat) If you have dropped out of Party Chat and realize after passing another car there is a VSC you may give the position back to avoid penalties.
    1.3 No car may be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person at anytime whilst the VSC procedure is in use. This will apply whether any such car is being driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.
    1.4 Any car may enter the pits whilst the VSC procedure is in use for the purpose of changing tires or repairing damage
    1.5 All competing cars must reduce speed and stay above the minimum time set by the League Administrators. The stewards may impose either of the penalties on any driver who fails to stay above the minimum time as required by the above.
    1.6 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to c) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track whilst the VSC procedure is in use.
    The exceptions are:
    a) When a driver pits he may be overtaken by, another car on the trac
    b) Whilst in the pit entry, pit lane or pit exit a driver may be overtaken by another car on track traveling at Caution Speed.
    c) Whilst in the pits for pitting a driver may overtake another car, pitting or receiving service.
    d) If any car slows with an obvious problem.
    1.7 When the Administrator of the league decides it is safe to end the VSC procedure 1 complete lap under Caution. A message will come from League Administrator and, at most tracks the Race will resume at the Start/Finish line unless the length of the track allows for field to be reset and safely go back to green flag racing.
    1.8 Each lap completed whist the VSC procedure is in use will be counted as a race lap.
    1.9 Enforcement of VSC rules include but are not limited to Time Penalty, Points Penalties, 1 Race Suspension to be determined by Chief Steward. Replays will be reviewed if needed.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

All drivers should adhere to the standards of driving that are outlined below. In addition, the Racing Rules applicable to all racing series' on www.racedepartment.com apply here as well and are incorporated by reference:

1.1 PASSING. It is the responsibility of both the overtaking Driver and the Driver being overtaken to assure safe overtaking. Where two Cars are reasonably alongside each other, each must permit the other Racing room. A Car traveling alone may use the full width of the racetrack. Overtaking may be either right or left depending on prevailing conditions.

1.2 BLOCKING. Any Driver who, in the sole opinion of the Chief Steward, moves in reaction more than once, altering their line based on the actions of pursuing Competitors, or who selects a defensive line and then returns to a racing line between corners or sections of the racetrack may be warned or penalized pursuant to the rules, and such decision shall be Conclusive.

1.3 INCIDENTS. Any Driver who, in the sole opinion of the Chief Steward, is responsible for: an incident where a Car spins, or goes off-track, or suffers a flat tire or other mechanical difficulty requiring it to pit directly for repairs, or an incident of contact resulting in a change of position, may be warned or penalized pursuant to the rules, and such decision shall be Conclusive.

1.4 UNJUSTIFIABLE RISK. Any Competitor who, in the sole opinion of the Chief Steward, engages in any behavior deemed to represent an unjustifiable risk or reckless endangerment may be warned or penalized, and such decision shall be Conclusive.

Penalties shall include, but not be limited to private or public reprimand, deduction of points, loss of grid position, if applicable, for the following race or any other race subsequent to the event in question, loss of all points for the race, loss of points in he overall standings, suspension, and ban. Note that the last two cannot be imposed without at least two of the other examples are first issued in a single season.

Each incident of contact shall be reviewed by the Associate and/or Chief Steward (unless they are involved, and then review will be by a Co-Director of the Series that is not involved) and he will reach a penalty consensus. The Stewards or Directors may consult other series administrators or drivers during this process. Any event involving contact between two or more drivers may be brought to the Stewards as an inquiry by any driver(s) involved in the contact.

If it appears from the official video recordings or from any other additional evidence that there may have been a breach of driving standards or behavior, on or off the track, in a manner the Directors consider to have brought the Championship into disrepute, either Director may request that the Chief Steward consider to investigate this matter further.
  4. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Steward Inquiry an Appeal:

Any penalized driver shall have a right to the Stewards, (or one or both of the Series Directors if a Steward is involved in the disputed incident). The two administrators shall choose a regular driver to form a three person tribunal. This body will either uphold the original penalty, or issue a less punitive penalty by majority. If there is no majority consensus, then the least punitive decision shall apply. This decision is final.

Chief Steward, Railer Cantrell.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  5. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Rules Changes
    -Under Caution, If a Lap Down Driver is reasonably close to the Leader (within same sector or reasonable space) He may Pass ONLY on the LEFT of the leader and get his lap back.(Please Keep Chatter Down so this can be communicated to other Drivers) However, it is that Driver's responsibility to catch back up to the tail of the field. The race will restart at the next Restart Point when the Majority of the field is grouped back together regardless of the position of the "Waive-Around Driver(s)"

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Most importantly...
    If you have Questions, Please Ask!
  7. I fully agree that's the way to go after having a think about it. Same assists for everyone and no stability to prevent spinouts (sorry big lol).
    Maybe I'll go in the vette now everyone ditched it. hahaha
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Everything is acknowledged.
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Tom was faster than me in the Vette once the tires started going away. The heavier Merc and Bentley struggle on old tires IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. no biggy to me man I'm in caddy suck though for the ones that due use the z4 and all. but those gte cars will be alot better with abs on them.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah Bentley gets a bit tail happy on old tires, a lot harder to save once they break traction. I think I can tune some of that out though. So far it's one to two seconds slower per lap around Donnington than the NON ASSISTED Z4 I'm used to driving. Just gotta tune more.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Z4 is still a very capable car, best all around I'm sure.

Bigg brought up a good point earlier today on #GroupMe. So I clarified the 1st rule of the Caution to address that.
    Donington has a lot of run off, and if two cars make contact "magnetically" sliding off the track and not hitting anything, This does NOT constitute a Caution.
    However, If someone forces a Driver off and into a wall causing damage, Both Drivers need to request the Caution. It would be in the best interest for the Aggressor to help call for the Caution of the car he just forced off or Penalties will certainly ensue as Wronged driver can Protest the aggressive move on track.
    Any more Scenario's???
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I was waiting for someone else to ask these questions, but so far nothing.

Firstly, thanks for all the info.
    Hoping you can clarify some points that I think will be helpful to everyone else in the league.

In your first post, point #3, you indicate that all cars must reduce speed to the predetermined caution speed (70mph or whatever), and then they are allowed to "catch up" to the car in front.
    Point #4 states that the race leader must maintain the maximum allowed caution speed (70mph or whatever), but if the other cars are allowed to "catch up" then is it safe to say that the maximum caution speed does not apply to anyone except the race leader who essentially becomes a NASCAR style pace car?
    Essentially the race is reset for the most part, right? Everyone bunched up again, and potentially more opportunity for further collisions causing further caution incidents since these tend to happen on the first few turns of most races until spaces are created.

In your second post, point# 1.6 (a-d) can you clearly define what you mean by first and second "safety car lines"?
    I have a rough idea that the second safety car line would be the rear most car in the active caution pack? But no idea what your definition of the first safety car line is?

I noted in a recent post on the Watkins Glen race thread that you advised that the safety/caution lap(s) rules will not apply to any car that pits during the caution. So cars that have pitted to fix damage (the cars that caused/called the caution), or other cars that want to get fresh tires and/or fuel can exit the pits and resume full race pace until they either catch the bunched up pack or normal racing is resumed.
    What's in place to avoid this being abused? What's to stop a driver who was 20+ seconds or more behind the leaders who had a planned pit stop later in the race from pitting for gas and/or new tires getting out within a short time, potentially taking several places and closing down a huge time deficit without even having to work for it?
    If this is fairly late in the race, how can anyone in the slowed down caution bunch-up make that time back when they had a similar planned pit stop like the guy who just took back the 20+ second lead that had been fought for until that point? But they now have to pit with the field at full race pace. If there's no other incidents and the guy who was way behind managed to put on fresh tires that will last fine until the end of the race, its almost an impossible feat.
    This same scenario happened to me at Watkins, after the caution the lead I'd been working on was all but gone and I'm on completely worn tires with only 10 laps to go, going in to the evening and the guys behind me are running fresh rubber that they got during a caution slow down (essentially a free pit). If I stop I lose, but yet the guys who were in incidents only see benefits.
    Collisions and use of lopsided caution rules may turn out to be the only way to be competitive for average drivers, and thus abused.

What's your reasons/rationale behind not applying the same caution rules to everyone given the above? Or is the above exactly the reason why you decided on these rules? I can see how it might create some excitement and keep the pack closer, just concerned that it will become less about the racing and more about using slow downs to gain advantages, which is the polar opposite of the Code 60 GT racing system that's designed to reward racing and not racing incidents?
    I'm sure I'm not alone in this, so your feedback/explanations would be appreciated.
    Of course if I'm somehow missing something here and misinterpreting the rules, I would appreciate the clarification
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

There is no way to implement a Code 60 and enforce it. Its used at only one track anyway. As reported in that article other tracks still use Safety cars. We are not going to get away from the "NASCAR" style cautions. Cautions happen in Real races, Safety car comes out field is bunched, some pit, some don't strategies change on the fly. This isn't implemented to give any one person an Advantage. There is a lot of luck in Racing and it doesn't always fall on the fastest car. Even with the Cautions there were lap cars and the fastest driver still won the race. I chose this system because I saw several instances last season where Drivers were taken out of contention by other Drivers mistakes. I don't think that is fair. If it happened to you, you would feel the same way.

Watch 7:41-8:07​
    This was the main reason I wanted to institute the cautions. Toast is a good driver, however, he gets taken out by the BMW in what should have been a single car incident, and falls so far back with damage he is never a factor. What you consider not fair for the leader is not fair to the rest of the field. I'm not going to change my mind on this.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Good Point on this @Globespy, as I stated above these are the rules for FIA F1 VSC system and A-B do not apply to us and will be adjusted. We don't have officials standing around monitoring our races. We have what we have and that is all we can do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thanks for the clarification Mike. Given your context it makes a lot more sense now as to why you have things set up to essentially allow a damaged car (especially one that's not at fault as you mentioned) to still have a shot at recovering and scoring points. The instances you mentioned sheds much needed light on the subject, and I can see why you want to try this route. I respect your steadfastness on the subject, and trust that you can acknowledge that my primary goal was to get to grips with the 'whys and how's' of the decisions, not to try to force changes to them. There was a lot of new formats that without adequate explanation seemed off, and as you've gathered I am quite upfront about my thought process and ensuring that I'm comfortable with the format.
    Just as you have every right to run your league however you want, as a driver who will put a significant amount of time into practice and preparation for the races, I have the right to ensure I'm comfortable in my decision to invest the most valuable thing on earth, my own time.

Allowing cars damaged through mistakes of others to have a chance to rejoin the pack with a fighting chance is an interesting idea given your examples of toast, and the **** fests I've seen in public lobbies.

I'm looking forward to working with HaveBlue to try and make this a McLaren season. I saw Dalai testing the McLaren so perhaps, we might see another one?
    I'm excited to see how this series pans out and appreciate your input, albeit I know testing your patience. We both have kids, so having your buttons pushed should be old hat for you.
    Take it easy, and no hard feelings.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

Thanks Globe I really like having a true Gentleman Racer with us. I look forward to more great racing and making improvements to an imperfect situation. Perhaps in the future we can get a true safety car system built in that will solve all of our issues. If it's anything like their penalty system I'm sure it will still be less than perfect lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

By the way.. if we ever get back down to 15 people I have a guy that is willing to drive a "Pace Car" for the event. May come in handy at Bathurst or a place with a high caution potential. Would allow the Leader to duck in and pit for tires, get out and catch the pace car maintaining a constant pace.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  19. 2pfspiff

2015 pCars World Endurance Challenge AM Champion Premium Member

You know someone that would be willing to sit through an entire 90 + min. race just to be the pace car? I don't even know what to say to that.
    • Haha Haha x 1
  20. Michael Watts

Michael Watts

He's a real good guy, loves racing but he's 65 has arthritis in his hands and can't do manual shifting. Of course he hasn't committed to it completely yet, lol.
    • Like Like x 1