1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cars Caterham R500 1.02

Cat R500 for GSCEx

1. Patrick Giranthon submitted a new resource:

Caterham R500 - Cat R500 for GSCEx

Read more about this resource...
    • Beer Beer x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. tpw

Great job Patrick. This is a really nice car to drive: it's powerful and controllable; feels great; looks fantastic and sounds absolutely brutal!

Edit: To fix the mirror issue I used MirrorPos=(0.0, 0.72, -0.26) // from the Formula Vee
    in the cockpitinfo.ini
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. Thanks Patrick
    Lovely car....a handful but very controllable....ten laps around Le Mans. This sings!!!!!!!
  4. thanks a lot
  5. hex

Hell yes! What a nice surprise :) Thank you!
  6. wowo i cant wait to try this when i get home from work. Thanks Patrick
  7. amazing mod Patrick as always! thank you and the guys that help you ;)
    I think the base setup is bit to soft, that makes trailbraking more tricky
  8. Send me another default setup please. I Will do an update for mirrors ;-)
  9. Wow, this car has very peculiar characteristics
    or will love or hate
    I liked it, but it's really a challenge
    the default setup is a little bad
    I made a setup for interlagos which greatly improved driveability
    (must be used for other tracks with minor adjustments)
    you need to be careful

Attached Files:

• Beer Beer x 1
  10. Hi Patrick, have been reading what the owners of caterham´s say about the behavior of the car, and what I realized, is that the caterham is somehow balance when trailbraking, but suffers from lift-off oversteer. So the only way to get a more stable car when trailbraking was going with maximum brake bias to the front like Guilherme did, for the rest of setup is pretty much like the default one but with harder springs. For the steering im using between 540/450ª with 14 lock in game, what looks preety identical in comparison to onboard videos in caterham´s.

Attached Files:

• Beer Beer x 1
  11. I must agree with Paulo and Guilherme on this one. Like most models (in any sim) of Caterham cars they are WAY too hard to drive. They are street legal track day cars... right. So why are the sim cars sooo sensitive to load changes? It just not realistic. IDK maybe the numbers used for the physics are accurate but the end results don't work very well in the sim. I can drive this car as is... but it is an unpleasant experience. Snap oversteer is common and you get into slow lateral slides that can not be recovered.

Its my opinion. The F-Vee is a joy, not so much for the Cat R500.

The graphic model looks great :)

PS. I want to point out the odd tire smoke and the skid marks for no obvious reason at some points during turning as an indication that something is amiss in the physics somewhere. (TBC?, LoadSens initial slope?)
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  12. Still gathering impressions, but atm, i'm quite disappointed with how this car feels. The handling is too light and floaty for my taste and the sense of weight/contact with the road is poor. Can't connect properly with the car. It feels more like an arcade toy than a well simulated car to me.

Will give it more time, of course, but I've already done 300km and it just feels too lightweight for my taste. I expected this to feel more like the Vee in terms of weight... I'm not sure if it's because of the specifics of the car, power/weight ratio or simply not the best simulation.

Btw, I have no issues controlling the car, drifting, powersliding. It's just the light/floaty/weightless handling that bothers me.
  13. I Will see with Renato If he can help with what you describe.
  14. Anyway, if you and Renato, who have a lot of experience, think this is good enough, then so be it. You can probably judge quality much better than I can. ;)
  15. Discussed with him and it is "dangerous" to compare it with the Vee. Except weight, many things are different. Sure it is not an easy car to drive, but not sure what you describe can be really improved here.
  16. Jyri Kettunen

Jyri Kettunen
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Is draft modelled properly? It's a major feature for these cars in real life racing.
  17. Guys this car is that not hard to drive IRL.

If I may be so bold... the problem is two things, 1 a bit too much body roll causing too much wt transfer, 2 the tires are a bit too sensitive to the load changes on the tire. The grip level is more or less ok but it comes and goes too rapidly for this type of car experience.

I will point to the AI (as well as tire smoke/skids)... they have a hard time with this car too. That AI behavior (i feel) points to some balance issue in the physics.

Regardless it is still an interesting sim car and I appreciate the effort to bring it to GSC.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wow. Just tried it and it is great fun!
    Had to reverse the feedback, but after that everything was fine.
    Thanks Patrick, this will certainly get raced here, in between Classic & Extreme races :)