Catch a First Look at the McLaren 650s GT3 Coming to rF2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 2.jpg

Studio 397 have revealed the first images from the controversial upcoming pay DLC for rFactor 2.. the McLaren 650s GT3.

Although looking beautiful in game, and built with considerable cooperation from the McLaren team who design and run the cars in GT3 championships throughout the world, the upcoming 650s GT3 has attracted plenty of attention within the rFactor 2 community as the very first paid DLC for the venerable racing simulation.

Build in-house by Studio 397, the new car will form part of the McLaren endorsed 'World's Fastest Gamer' competition and is set to be made available to the gaming public for an additional fee, the first time either rFactor game has been in receipt of paid DLC content since the series began in 2005.

rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 1.jpg

Priced at a reasonable 4.99 eu and expected to form the beginning of a wider GT3 pack, the McLaren 650s looks to be quite possibly the most accurate rendition of a racing car brought to rFactor 2 as first party content.

Unfortunately no release date has been revealed by the studio at present, however with the WFG competition and the apparent advanced state of the car, one can expect to be able to access the new content in the not too distant future.

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Will you be purchasing the McLaren on release? Happy to see official DLC content for the sim? Looking forward to more GT3 spec cars (officially) released for rF2? Let us know in the comments section below!

We had a good chat between users on rF2 Discord about DLC and price of it.
I can see the same points/questions here on RD too, I will put here my thoughts too:

- will buy it? YES!
- why buy it? Because I want to support S397
- is it pricey? Here the hard question. Sadly yes, at least compared to rF2 status,the SIM still lacks a lot of features and still needs a lot of work to be a finished/polished product (proper clutch model, etc). Some says you should pay 5Eur due the work behind the model, sure, I respect this, but this is partially wrong on my opinion. Digital content can be sold infinite times so you can go for the "quantity" route to pay your hard work. Most of us will buy it because we are rF2 fans and supporters but for newcomers/casual players is a different story, I can assure you most of them will wait for packs or not buy it at all (like pointed before there are other sim which offers more for the same price).
About price we should also remember Steam charge them, DLC will be sold like paid workshop item, maybe the best route was an external shop like the Raceroom one to avoid Steam taxes.
Other says we spent hundreds of Eur in hardware but we don't want to spend 5Eur for a car. This is totally wrong, if someone spent 300Eur in a pedals set is because he recognises it has that "value", no one will buy a 300Eur piece of hardware just for support a developer if "value" isn't on it. If people starts to be vocal about 5Eur for a car this means your software isn't still to the point to have such a "value" to justify this price for a DLC (see iRacing, people recognized a "value" to base software and were happy to pay 11$ for a car, at least on the past, but this is a different story).

...btw I will buy it, so nevermind...:p

Last edited:
sorry guys, but your points about missing vs proper data from manufacturesrs makes me laugh

yes maybe for the modern cars, and if company doing the sim is high profile, but definitely not always, and pretty much never with historical/older cars content

the only big advantage that comes with official DLC is that for more modern cars, you would often get CAD model of the car, so some of the suspension stuff you can measure from it, but not all of course ( like dampers), and again no CAD for older cars

so yeah, while sometimes official content has more data it's not all the data and definitely not always

big advantage on modder is that they can work on the car forr unlimited time , to get everything right, where's developers have bills to pay and after certain time they have to release it

or see you guys saying that Automobilista cars are not realistic ? I doubt they got much data from manufacturers, even less so for their unlicensed versions of the real cars

:D

This is like the arguments about laser scanned tracks. Neither AMS nor rF2 is such an accurate simulation that any user could tell the difference between CAD-based suspension simulation versus extremely close estimates. It is a waste of time drilling down to the ultimate level of detail in, for example, suspension measurements, when you don't even have a proper transmission model. At least in AMS, all the cars from Reiza feel plausible and realistic compared to each other (whether or not to another sim we can set aside for the moment). Within AMS, every car feels like it exists relative to its brethren in the same simulated physics universe. This provides more pleasure to me than one or two cars in rF2 that knock your socks off mixed in with a dozen that are randomly better and worse and feel like they were made by different teams with different tire models, FFB programming, etc.

Ironically, iRacing and rF2 that rely most heavily on engineering data often miss the mark on certain cars the widest, probably due to lack of experienced racers involved in the programming. Creating a sim racing car is an art--a combination of science/engineering and seat of the pants experience to create something that feels authentic and compelling, And we know from experience to create something that does this well across a wide range of wheel (and now VR) hardware is incredibly difficult. Engineering accuracy is the foundation, but ultimately a small part of the total equation.

funny thing is when in rfactor 2 something is rong even inside simracing talks about it but on iracing which i call understeer racing where every car is rong at some points with too much understeer nobody in hell talks about it. I mean drive the iracing skip barber and it is a joke. and this comes from a iracer because its my main sim.
I tried the Skip Barber in April to check out the new tyre model and couldn´t get it to spin while trying, which was too easy to spin a year before. As long as you stay on the track, it´s like trail-racing, so highly agree. But this is about rF2 and i was moaning about the Skippy on another site and regarding iRacing;)

Ironically, iRacing and rF2 that rely most heavily on engineering data often miss the mark on certain cars the widest, probably due to lack of experienced racers involved in the programming. Creating a sim racing car is an art--a combination of science/engineering and seat of the pants experience to create something that feels authentic and compelling, And we know from experience to create something that does this well across a wide range of wheel (and now VR) hardware is incredibly difficult. Engineering accuracy is the foundation, but ultimately a small part of the total equation.

This I agree with 100%. However, things might slowly change for the better in this aspect as well. Dom Duhan, founder of Team Redline and sim racer since well, forever, is now working for S397. This is something that ISI obviously lacked, a guy like Niels H. from Reiza or David Greco from Codemasters who can both work on the physics and give proper feedback of the car handling.

I don't think 1 GT3 car will bring most Rfactor2 users back especially if its 4,99€ Studio 397 did too little to late. Rfactor2 may be the most realistic sim with most features but has hardly any content especially full race series and most of the mod content even payware mods aren't even realistic or worth the money you are paying for

McLaren 650S GT3 - £2.24 | View in inventory
GT3 Car 2 - £2.24 | View in inventory
GT3 Car 3 - £2.24 | View in inventory
GT3 Car 4 - £2.24 | View in inventory
GT3 Car 5 - £2.24 | View in inventory

"its a deal, its a steal, its sale of the <expletive> century!"

Seriously, anyone moaning about the cost needs to have a strong look at their wage slip as they must have more serious financial worries than how much a car costs in a Sim.

Each car costs about HALF a Pint now...Bargain...Hunted!

Seriously, anyone moaning about the cost needs to have a strong look at their wage slip as they must have more serious financial worries than how much a car costs in a Sim.

So where is this?
For me the Mclaren is £4.47?

I noticed there is a 5 pack of GT3 cars coming sometime in September. I went ahead and just got the 650S for now. I can't wait for the rest of the cars.

I bought the entire rF2 package for the same price that these 5 cars are retailing for.

That is what you call an objectively bad value.

yes bad from ISI that they didn't charge more! Same with these cars, the amount of time & effort to create them = a lot more than £14 for FIVE cars, the tight fisted wallet hugging brigade are too damn demanding and not in touch with reality - 5 cars you can have HOURS of fun with for the very little cost! It's simple math, it's cheap as chips...literally!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back