Catch a First Look at the McLaren 650s GT3 Coming to rF2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 2.jpg

Studio 397 have revealed the first images from the controversial upcoming pay DLC for rFactor 2.. the McLaren 650s GT3.

Although looking beautiful in game, and built with considerable cooperation from the McLaren team who design and run the cars in GT3 championships throughout the world, the upcoming 650s GT3 has attracted plenty of attention within the rFactor 2 community as the very first paid DLC for the venerable racing simulation.

Build in-house by Studio 397, the new car will form part of the McLaren endorsed 'World's Fastest Gamer' competition and is set to be made available to the gaming public for an additional fee, the first time either rFactor game has been in receipt of paid DLC content since the series began in 2005.

rF2 McLaren 650S GT3 1.jpg

Priced at a reasonable 4.99 eu and expected to form the beginning of a wider GT3 pack, the McLaren 650s looks to be quite possibly the most accurate rendition of a racing car brought to rFactor 2 as first party content.

Unfortunately no release date has been revealed by the studio at present, however with the WFG competition and the apparent advanced state of the car, one can expect to be able to access the new content in the not too distant future.

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Will you be purchasing the McLaren on release? Happy to see official DLC content for the sim? Looking forward to more GT3 spec cars (officially) released for rF2? Let us know in the comments section below!

The price may actually be in a good strategic sweet spot if the car is excellent. Assetto Corsa DLC has been very well priced and some may be feeling a little underwhelmed by 1 car for 4.99 Euro. If you look at iRacing with each DLC car at $11.95US then the RF2 car looks pretty reasonable.

For me it is all about the quality of the car. I'm going to buy it - but I hope that Studio 397 has done their homework on the McLaren, because I was a little disappointed in the Radical regardless of the "free" aspect to it. I think this is a tough market now where simracers have more choice, we have expectations of quality that are getting set higher and higher. RF2 still needs a lot of work to get it up with the best.

This is great news!

If this means that rF2 can be another platform for future full GT3 racing fields with contemporary racing cars I am all for it and once there is a substantially complete offering (mix of DLC + mod cars filling a complete field) I am going to purchase the DLC.

Just one single car though is not something I am interested in.

Currently my main simulator is Assetto Corsa and I am absolutely loving the GT3 racing there with an almost complete GT3 field.

I also do enjoy R3E but mostly do not use it as of missing multi monitor support.

I do not use rF2 at all (have a full license as I usually endorse the series efforts of good sim racing software).
So far rF2 to me never was interesting as of the lack of cars I am interested in.
I am EXTREMELY interested in rF2 weather and day/night racing environment and their advanced features as of tires and chassis dynamics.

Bring on a complete GT3 field and I am all game.

Pricing:
5 EUR for a single car sounds a bit steep for an only car, especially as it is a car that really needs other like vehicles to compete with.
If we had already an almost complete GT3 field, I would probably buy it for that price though if it is a car I would be using a lot.
rF2 is new on DLC and still has to proof themselves.

A DLC car for Assetto Corsa made by Kunos for 5 EUR would be a no brainer for me - they have proven over a long time now already how high a level they are delivering on.

5 Euros for a single make with no other cars to make a proper series with? No thank you. What would a completey GT3 field cost? 50 bucks? :roflmao:

Seriously, the URD mod is like 10 bucks and offers a complete GT3 field. The cars are all high quality. I don't see how a single McLaren can compete with that.

5 Euros for a single make with no other cars to make a proper series with? No thank you. What would a completey GT3 field cost? 50 bucks? :roflmao:

Seriously, the URD mod is like 10 bucks and offers a complete GT3 field. The cars are all high quality. I don't see how a single McLaren can compete with that.

Probably people will suddenly start shaming the URD and other mods because of rF2 gods.
These mods suddenly will become not realistic. Low quality. And the creators will be guys who can't be trusted.

Actually, you can already see the downfall of URD guys on the official forum because they are busy updating their mods and the customers can't wait for it. So they demanding because they paid for it.

For the price. I'm waiting for the news bomb when they announced the walmart version of the McLaren with other budget items. With a fancy SAVE X% with buying this pack ribbon. And can't wait for professor business man to show up and lecture us how we lack common sense and how they can sell these cars cheaper in a pack advertising that it's on sale and you are saving instead of making a proper DLC like kunos and pcars can do.

Let's not pretend. People at the official forum already spreading their cosmic reasons why the 5€/single car is fine.

While on the other hand, kunos can release a friggin pack with 10 licensed cars and a laser scanned Nord (edit.: nord is like 4 times bigger than the average 4km track.) for 10€. Maybe lord kunos keeps slaves or something.

I've bought every DLC from Assetto Corsa, mostly for support to developers. And as long as I can I want to support rFactor 2 now that they have worked so hard on virtual reality. But I must say that 5 EUR for a single car seems a bit too much for me because I don't have time to play that much. I am sure it will worth the price, but it would be easier for me to justify the purchase of a pack of 4 or 5 cars for 10 EUR.

I've paid more than 10 EUR for a single car in iRacing long ago, but then I have a lot of time to do simracing. I am trying to explain the view of a casual player that wants to support this amazing simulator.

I bought the standard version of rFactor2 over five years ago for a small amount of money and have paid nothing since. I have no problem buying content for this sim. All businesses need a revenue stream and sim racing is no different.

Yes, this car is a little pricey, but if it's joined by more GT3 stablemates it will get me playing rF2 again. I gave up on this sim due to lack of quality content so I see this as a positive move.

Probably people will suddenly start shaming the URD and other mods because of rF2 gods.
These mods suddenly will become not realistic. Low quality. And the creators will be guys who can't be trusted.

Actually, you can already see the downfall of URD guys on the official forum because they are busy updating their mods and the customers can't wait for it. So they demanding because they paid for it.

For the price. I'm waiting for the news bomb when they announced the walmart version of the McLaren with other budget items. With a fancy SAVE X% with buying this pack ribbon. And can't wait for professor business man to show up and lecture us how we lack common sense and how they can sell these cars cheaper in a pack advertising that it's on sale and you are saving instead of making a proper DLC like kunos and pcars can do.

Let's not pretend. People at the official forum already spreading their cosmic reasons why the 5€/single car is fine.

While on the other hand, kunos can release a friggin pack with 10 licensed cars and a laser scanned Nord (edit.: nord is like 4 times bigger than the average 4km track.) for 10€. Maybe lord kunos keeps slaves or something.
So you're saying the URD cars, which are made with no real world data whatsoever, are accurate? Out of that entire disaster of a post, that may be the most amusing part.

Note that I have nothing against the URD guys - they're a very talented group. That said, their physics aren't realistic based on the cars they're sort-of replicating, but due to that fact (not full replication) I think that's perfectly fine and understandable.

true, and very sad too

Because there is an established point of comparison. Namely, the entire game and all the existing content that comes with the game.

When the game comes with ~20 tracks and ~50 cars which you can buy for <$20 on sale... 1 single car for 5 bucks is an objectively bad value.

Of course this can sound cheap and the developers certainly deserve to be compensated for all their time spent working and their efforts in creating new content, but the point is, this comparison exists. And it cannot be denied.

- Will you be purchasing the McLaren on release?
Yes, I love GT racing and being a Brit it'd be rude not to buy a British car! That and it looks good plus I want to drive it, besides it's the price of a Beer which gives me 30minutes of pleasure...this car could give me hours!

- Happy to see official DLC content for the sim?
Yep, the Devs have gotta earn and I'm willing to pay to help them continue, just the same as I did with AC, RRE & AMS amongst others.

- Looking forward to more GT3 spec cars (officially) released for rF2?
Very much so but I would like to see the tracks come with the Cars/Series, I fully understand the complexities of obtaining licenses & involved costs may deem this very hard, but it would be great if possible.

RF2 is coming a long very nicely under Studio397, the DX11 performance has improved greatly in the short time since the first beta, the VR is now at a very good stage (just needs a tad more optimisation and a fix for 'Lock To Horizon') and the upcoming UI looks great...not that that's a major important part of the Sim for me but it shows their desire to polish off RF2s "worst" bits!

#GlassHalfFull

It is simply mechanics of scale at work here.
The actual cost to produce a high quality accurate car will not be very different for Kunos or the makers of rF2, the revenue from selling that DLC though is very much in favor of Kunos with most likely several fold more potential buyers, hence Kunos can easily price individual items lower (or sell it in their packs).

The "going console version" was not such a bad thing for PC sim racers after all ;-)

In this light the 5EUR price tag isn't outrageous (talk about iRacing and you know what is outrageous).
The issue for many simply will be that currently it is just a single vehicle that really belongs in a field of like cars competing.
Once that is delivered I's buy 5EUR/ car additions to the already complete GT3 field all day long.

I'd be very happy to buy a 5 EUR Bentley GT3 or BMW M6 GT3 or Ferrari 488 GTE for Assetto Corsa - because I would add a missing competitor into an already existing field of cars.

As mentioned earlier - people do buy pretty ordinary stuff for 5EUR these days - a well made DLC is more value to me than a drink.

Re. URD: I love what they are doing and have bought the GT and LMP packs from them for Assetto Corsa.
I may even buy the same packs again for rF2 should the GT racing grow with rF2.

The price is higher than I expected for one car. But I probably buy it. rFactor2 has the potential (for me) and I would like to support them. However, if every car will cost 5e in the future, hmmmm, I do not know.

Why should I buy this car for €4.99 as it's already included in the Simtek GT3 mod ... which is for free.
I'm sorry, but this is way too expensive for a single car and for me not worth it.
May I refer to the URD EGT mod which is almost the same price and includes more cars.

It's all a matter of choice.

Will I purchase the 650S? Yes I probably will. The DX11 version of the title was almost a complete new version of the game, then the countless updates and fixes they applied means lots of hours, and lots of cost. Which so far they haven't asked anything for. So although I'm purchasing one car I also see I'm supporting Studio 397 at the same time.

I race the URD mods (both the PX and the GTE pack) and I have great fun doing so. Yes some guesswork will have gone into them but they are lovingly made and they race pretty well. The DTM cars are a complete blast and great fun also.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.5%