Cars and tracks with no licensing issues

Hello, community!

I'm a new Racer user and I'm absolutely amazed by this simulator. Actually, I bought a steering wheel for using it with Racer a few weeks after I stumbled upon it. :)

I'm a Linux user and as you might have heard, Linux uses package management for any kind of software you want to use on it. Therefore I would like to create a package for Racer to make it available (or, say, easier to install) for the Linux community. However, as you know, Racer comes with only one car and track. I had a look around the net and it looks like most additional car models and tracks available for download are conversions from commercial games and can therefore not be offered as a package for a Linux distribution for legal reasons.

However, although the forums here on Racedepartment.com has quite strict rules on posting car downloads, some cars are being posted here, so I still have hope that some number of cars exist that can potentially be packaged (of course only in case that the authors give me their permission for it). Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea which of the cars I'm finding on the net are possible candidates for packaging and which are not. Therefore I'd greatly appreciate it if anybody could point me into the right direction.

Thanks for any input,
PhotonX

Usually content creators put blurbs about this in their INI files. My first exposure to Racer was when I purchased a Linux distro at a bookstore many years ago. It was featured on the back of the media jacket

Thanks for the hint, radome! I had a look at the cars I have found so far and it looks like most of the time only credits to the conversion author is attributed, such that the original source of the model is still unclear. Is it to assume that such cars are not suitable for my intention but only cars where the author of the original model is stated (and is not a commercial game studio)?

You really need original cars from origin of production (ie, not a commercial source).

Anything converted from commercial material would be no-go really for this kinda package.

There are tons of good cars, but unfortunately many haven't really been updated fully over the years.

Maybe we need a list of 090 ready AND complete cars that are 'not conversions' list :D

Dave

Let me try to create such a list (hopefully with some help from you guys). :) I collected quite many car models and ran a simple bash script returning a list where each entry contains the path to the car folder and the credit entry from the car.ini file. Then I threw away cars where the credit was given to the author of the conversion only (suspect the original model to be from a commercial game) and where the origin is explicitly stated to be a commercial game. Still included are cars with no credit information at all (since there is some hope for them). :) Here is the resulting list (consisting of 72 cars; text file with the list added as attachement):

Code:
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/69ccz28
      credits=Model & Textures: Cube396 & BigBlock; Racer Adaption: LB, Some1, Outlaw & Cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/ae86_1983gtapex
      credits=Model by Endo, ini by Cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/alfa_romeo_gtv
    credits=Ini by Skybh Model by Szytmon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/audi_90_2.3e_20v_quattro
  credits=Autor: Robert Kuraciñski Nick: Kura
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/audi_rs6_avant
    credits=Model: DERK7, Racer conversion: johnthelemon, Engine sounds: Napier/ Mr. Quad
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/audi_s4_2001
    credits=Audi BAM 2.7T 30V "DOHC 5V TWINTURBO" V6, 2671 cm³, 265hp @ 5800rpm, 400Nm @ 1850-3600rpm
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/austin_mini
   credits=Model: Harey, Gauges: Silver. Wheels: Tiberius
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bentley_blower
    credits=Original Author: PAV, converted by Harey, car.ini by Cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_335i_sport_f30
    credits=Converted by Al Radzio for Official Polish Racer Forum. Model by miki_mays
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_525_e39sedan
    credits=Converted by Swift, original author-STAFF
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_540i_touring
    credits=BMW V8 4.4i 32V, 4398 cm³, 286hp @ 5400rpm, 440Nm @ 3600rpm
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_750il__e38
    credits=BMW V12 5.4i 24V, 5379 cm³, 326hp @ 5000rpm, 490Nm @ 3300rpm
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_e30_drift
    credits=Model by Sin5k4, Tuning by Smr597
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_e34_m5
    credits=model: Majkel,Mirror-Venusek,vievs.ini-Ansebasti
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bmw_e46_m3_csl
    credits=Autor: Mnichu
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bpm_booster_r_2010
    credits=Brazilian Performance Motorsport - Performance = Top Speed: 325 km/h  =  0-100 km/h=3.8s
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/bugatti_atlantic
    credits=Version 3.00 >> RACER version 5.3 BETA 2.1 compatible <<
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/carreragt
    credits=Model: T-Shine, Textures & Int: TtR, Physics & Sounds: Mr Whippy, Dials: BLo0m
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/daewoo_leganza_kombi
  credits=Orginal Autor Lazlow555.visit website: http://www.mods.darewnoo.pl/
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/daewoo_matiz
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/dmc12_delorean
  credits=Orig.Model(README)/Converted and equips:FernSS1970, converted to CG by Eholov
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/e30m3_race_v1.0
    credits=FSR, Jole, TtR, Cosmo, Mr. Whippy, BLo0m
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/ferrarif430
  credits=Ferrari/central-traseiro 4.3litros V8 a 90º 32 valve gasolina 4.308cm³ 510cv/8500rpm
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/fiat_131_mirafiori_1976
      credits=Model - sin5k4. Adaptation - Damian A. Finalisation - Cosmo° & Hierafas.( ansebasti - skrypty i CG i inne)
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/ford_mustang_gta
   credits=Original model: AMGfan (Mustang Bullitt GT 390 for racer) - Modded, and equips: FernSS1970(readme) Converted to Racer CG by Eholov
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/fso_125p_mr75
    credits=Model&Convert by Kura, Sound by JANISZ92, www.racer-sim.cba.pl, Thanks: Poorwich, Siemionek...
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/fso_polonez_mr87_update_v.1.1
    credits=Model - Wojski; Convert - mintek; Wheels - Siemionek; Special thanks to Chicane, Kura and Piotrek-FSO
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/honda_civic_si
    credits=Model: EMZone, Conversion: johnthelemon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/honda_civic_type-r
    credits=Model: EMZone, Conversion: johnthelemon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/jzx30
    credits=FSR
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/lada_2106
    credits=model:Vadikgg konwert do recera:adam88
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/lamborghini_countach
  credits=undoz
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/lamborghini_gallardo_v2
  credits=T-Shine, TtR, Bloom, Stecki, Mr Whippy
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/legansi
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/mazda_rx7
  credits=Modeling&Textures: Stereo  Ini: Kallahim
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/mercedes_sl65_amg_black_series
     credits=Created by Radzik
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/mercedes-sprinter-311cdi
  credits=Convert by Mnichu. Model: Bebiko132
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/mini_cooper_s
  credits=bandit82 & QuadCoreMax
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/mitsubishi_lancer_evo_7_gsr_v1.0
   credits=4WD, 4 cylinders, 16 valves, 2 litres. Power:283.9 PS 280.0 bhp @6500 rpm Torque:383.0 Nm @3500 rpm
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/nissan_240sx_s13
       credits=Autor: KaBoooM
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/nissan_skyline_r34
  credits=TtR, driver by stecki, dials by BLo0m
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/opel_astra_g
    credits=Model: sin5k4, Adaptation: Damian A, Corections: johnthelemon, Waldy.
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/opel_astra_iv_cg
    credits=Orginal Autor-Miki_Mays , Convert To Racer-Venusek.
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/opel_astra_st
  credits=Original model miki_mays, Convert Kacprowy from PFR
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/pontiac_firebird_70
  credits=Please see read-me, conferted to CG By Eholov
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/porsche_911_rsr
  credits=Converted by AmgFan, original author: Simracing & BMWPower
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/r8
   credits=model EAP3D, car.ini Harey
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/range_rover_classic
  credits=MBW13/Splashonda/Cosmo/Sergiogon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_21
  credits=Scratch made by Skybh, help from Cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_clio_i
  credits=Scratch made by Skybh, thanks to cosmo° !
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_clio_symbol
  credits=GTA SA mod: Free Style & byEnec; Racer conversion: johnthelemon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_espace_iv
  credits=Scratch made by Skybh,thanks to cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_laguna_ii_gt
  credits=Skybh
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/renault_laguna_ii_phase2
  credits=Skybh
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/reventon
  credits=model:Anonymous | textures/shaders: EAP3D
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/scenic_ii_phase_2
  credits=Model by Skybh, baked texture by foxo, help from Damian A. and Cosmo°
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/simcaaronde90a
  credits=Modeling&Textures: Stereo
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/skoda_octavia_scout
  credits=Converted by Fiecu, Original model by zinzin99
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/subaru_impreza_wrx_sti
   credits=Szytmon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_03
  credits=Converted by AmgFan, original author: HQTM Team
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/supra_aasbo_beta
    credits=Some1, Cosmo° and FSR
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/toyota_celica_gt-four
  credits=model: EMZone, Racer conversion: johnthelemon
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/toyota_celica_wrc_st205
  credits=
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/toyota_innova
  credits=Author: Nathan Ferdinand & azqi8889, convert to racer by Ansebasti
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/toyota_supra_93
     credits=Created by Some1, ini by Cosmo° and Outlaw
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/volkswagen_bora_1.9tdi
    credits=
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/vw_jetta_2_benz
   credits=body: free 3D model, interior by Siemionek, adaptation by Damian A. & Siemionek Edit and cg by ansebasti
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/vw_passat
  credits=
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/vw_passat_1.8t_4x4_cg
  credits=Author: miki_mays, convert to racer by ansebasti
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/vwrabbit
  credits=by Mnichu
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/w124_rel
  credits=Model: Falkrum. Converted by Swift.
----
/media/Daten/Racer/cars/zastava_1100p
   credits=Model - Chicane a.k.a Piórek ; Conversion - mintek; Big thanks to Capricorn!
----

Any comments on particular entries of the list are welcome (say, pointing out cars which are known to be conversions from commercial games or information on cars with missing credits).

Thanks in advance,
PhotonX

Attachments

• cars_racer.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 504
Hehe, that is a big list.

I'm fairly certain a load of those are just conversions from games.

It's usually pretty easy to spot originals when you load them up in my view. Attention to detail is often a lot higher.
Warm fuzzy details pop out to you, rather than being clinical looking.

I could go through the list properly but it'd take me ages.

First one on the list, F90 3 series is a conversion I think, from a commercial source, albeit not from a game. It's one of Squir's cars and I'm certain he doesn't release them for free.

It might be a different one but I've not seen many around and the one I did see was a Squir conversion.

Dave

Most of the releases on this list are outdated, or only comply with v0.9.0 betas in that they have the correct version cue added. Also, as Dave pointed out the majority has been converted and not always with full credits and permission given unfortunately.

The '69 Camaro Z/28 and the Blower Bentley I have worked on and know to be up to date and making use of "modern" Racer features. The v2 Gallardo, recently updated RX-7 as well as Skybh's releases are fine in terms of compatibility and origin, but you should still check readme files or contact authors directly if you want to redistribute their works. For example, apart from being massively outdated, endo's AE86 is explicitely not allowed to be reposted anywhere but his official site/forum. If you're not sure about a particular release and can't get an answer here or from a listed contact in any file contained within the car folder, it's best not to assume any right to redistribute.

Hehe, I never asked T-Shine about redistributing his Lambo...

I just figure that if you keep someone's work alive and do justice to the original, and give credit to the original author then you are good to go.
I just apply that logic to everyone else too, rightly or wrongly. I can't imagine why you'd release anything unless you wanted it to be out there and live forever and be enjoyed.

Like I say I think what is important is the respect to the original author/s and contributors.

But it's still a bit fuzzy... especially when you might be releasing a package for instance.

I certainly think most cars that you can release on that list will have authors happy to give you permission to package them up.

What is your time scale for the package release for Linux, roughly?

I'm tempted to re-release the Gallardo V3 by T-Shine, along with the BMW M3 I did, before the Winter.

Cheers

Dave

@Mr. Whippy: There is no time scale, it's done when it's done. Actually, I intend to make a package for Racer itself (with only the Murcielago and Carlswood included) and optional packages for additional cars and tracks. It is done for Flightgear this way, for example: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=flightgear However, it would be nice to release at least a small number of additional car and track packages simultaneously with the main package such that it hopefully gets a little bit more attention at release time. Afterwards more cars or tracks can be packaged at any time. The main package is basically done already, waiting just for some additional cars and tracks to be released.

@Cosmo°: Thanks for the hints, that's exactly the kind of information, I was searching for. The list above is just a "possible positive" list, I'm totally aware that most of the cars on it are not redestributable but some of the cars might be fine. And of course I won't release anything before getting permission to do so! To start with, are the '69 Camaro Z/28 and the Blower Bentley ok to package or should I ask permission from all the other people who worked on it, too? What about the Fiat 131 Mirafiori and the two Toyota Supra models you have also worked on? For all the Renault cars Skybh seems to be the right address, the Gallardo and the RX7 are then also on the research list.

For the Camaro it's OK to redistribute, though you have to ask Harey about the Bentley. The Fiat and Supras aren't up to date and again, in those cases I would point you to the creators of the mesh files for permission.

@Stereo: Do you mean the missing back doors? That's indeed something missing to completeness. :) Concerning the RX7, I'm wondering whether it's a problem on my side but all the interior has a glossy shader - is this a known problem?

@Cosmo°: Yay, looks like the Camaro is the first on the list of redistributable complete cars! Will ask Harey about the Bentley.

@Stereo: Do you mean the missing back doors? That's indeed something missing to completeness. :)
Yeah, I kinda lost interest in the project, the doors do exist but didn't make it in the most recent release. Also the rest of the interior parts of course - dashboard, seats, etc.

The interior's meant to be glossy but certain gpu profiles prevent blurry reflections which makes it look worse.

Sorry, everybody, for not responding for a long time, my router died unexpectedly.

@Stereo: I think, adding the doors and removing internal views would make it pretty usable. :)
Concerning the RX7, this is how it looks like on my end (note the reflections on the back of the seat and on the instrument panel): https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ebgwy5os3quvo7/rx7_reflections.ogv . I think, a matt shader would be more fitting, but of course it might look even better the way it is now, if the gpu doesn't mess things up.

In theory the env-map approach would be very nice but in this case it's probably best to just not use it.
I'm sure Stereo will tweak the shader to make it more ok for non-envmap reflection use. It'' probably be a 5 minute job.

I'm not sure if it's on the list but the old Citroen BX GTi is pretty nice too. Very nice actually. Cosmo and I were updating it recently, probably not a huge amount of work to get it finished enough for inclusion here if the original author is happy.

Dave

As for the RX7, it would be really nice if the reflections could be fixed - provided, it is not much work and won't make it look much worse for people with proper video cards.

Concerning the Citroen, do you possibly mean the AX GTi? It's not on the list for some reason, I must have missed it when going through the complete list. There is, however, no information on the original author in the car.ini, so I don't know, who to ask for permission. If there is a BX GTi existing also, please point me to a download. I could only find a BX TRD on tracciontrasera.es but it seems quite outdated.

Hello everybody,

I finally did it and pushed the packages for Racer as well as some cars to the AUR. Thanks goes to everybody participating in this discussion as well as the authors of the cars who granted me permission to package their babies. :) Here are the packages:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/racer-cg/ for the CG version and
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/racer-nocg/ for the Non-CG version

The additional cars can be seen on the right in the "Requiered by" list. For now I packaged the Mazda RX7 by Stereo (Nick Murdoch), the Bentley Blower and the Austin Mini by Harey, the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 by Cosmo° and the Renault Clio I by Skybh. Many more Renaults by Skybh are yet to come, I just need to think of a good way to package the different versions of the same model.

A note to the car authors: If you care, please have a look whether version, description and upstream URL (i.e. usually your website/blog/forum post) are fitting or some changes need to be done!

So for now, there is a decent selection of cars packaged which will be extended as much as possible (more hints are still welcome!). The next big challenge is to find some tracks which are legally ok to package and distribute. I didn't have a look at the tracks' .ini files yet and will report back when I did so, however, if anybody can already point me to one or another track fitting for packaging, it would be great!

Michael

This is great work. As an ex-linux user I know it'll be appreciated ;)

Once you've got the next version with tracks why don't you post it in a separate thread and I'll sticky it so it's easier to find for Linux users. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 170 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 290 13.4%