F1 2010 Career Race Pace

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi All,

This is my first post - new to the forum but as I do with a lot of games I really get into, I thought i'd find a forum and community to join.

I'd consider myself a decent driver, but not expert by any means. I've got a career with legend AI difficulty but still lots of driver assists on, and still automatic gears, whilst inbetween career races, i'm doing time trials to improve my manual gears. I've got to the point where i'm pretty much able to match my automatic times now which is great.

However I digress. The reason for the post is simple, and probably mentioned a lot. Race pace in career mode.

I've started doing 100% length races, so started a new career, with fuel and tyre degration on (because i realised it was too easy with them off). I'm only at Malaysia, but have realised that my qualifying pace is far from my race pace.

Now i'm not one that's going to complain about this, because at Lotus it makes sense - able to put in a fairly hot lap, to then struggle with a full fuel load. I just want to know if there's any more info on this, and if that is indeed, and it's not just a bug.

I read a statement from Codemasters that said something about simulating Practice and Qualifying is not as accurate at 6x and 30x as it is at 1x speed. I guess that also counts when you skip through events.

That might have something to do with those differences? I was thinking of running some qualifying tests today, letting time run down naturally to see the differences in lap times

It is my experience is that the AI will lap faster whenever the game is not in real time. It does not matter if you are advancing at 6x or 30x speed. It also happens if you crash and directly go to the pits, crash have some damage to your wing which needs to be fixed or if you are practicing with a worn engine, you pit and the mechanics also do work. In all these cases the AI will post faster lap times than if you just let the session run with no interruptions.

This is not a big deal in practice, but it can skew the qualifying times. So in qualifying I try not to damage my wings and let the time run out on it's own.

The AI system implemented in F1 2010 is very complex, and is certainly not scripted in any way.

I am sorry but I do not believe them.

A while back in my 1st career season in the HRT, I did race in Germany. I was only a few laps from the finish of the race when my computer crashed. After I let my blood pressure come down after spending such a long time in the race only to have it crash on me so close to the finish, I restarted the race and did it a 2nd time. Every event that happened in the two races was exactly the same. I did not make any major mistakes in the two races so my race pace between the two races were almost the same. Not only does the weather change at the exact same time, but the events on the track happened at the same time in the two races. The start was the same between the two races, the pit stops were the same, in the middle of the race when the weather changed, the same cars drove off the road when they stayed out too long on dry tires. The race lead changed hands on the exact same laps in the two races and since I was in the HRT in my first season I was lapped on the exact same lap at the exact same part of the track by the race leaders.

I am sorry, yes driving in the races is fun, but this game is totally scripted. CM is lying when they tell us otherwise.

After racing for 7 months or so I have started doing full races with pretty much everything on the difficult level. At my first race with fuel simulation on (Monza), i enjoyed the pig like handling of the car at the start and gradually quicker lap times and falling a few places as 10 laps went by. In later races I've found the car (in race) completely uncompetitive despite qualifying well. After 10 laps i'm lucky if not dead last with very few mistakes. I do not believe that in most races the AI have fuel and tyre simulation on. My car no longer seems to get faster as fuel load goes down and I'm am going to turn of fuel simulation in future as it is bug ridden. I hope the programmers do more than change the livery for 2011. I'll probably still buy it anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back