F1 2013 Career mode: Starting race on option tyres ---> disaster

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Does anybody else have this problem??
Ok, so, I play on PRO AI because I find it impossible to catch up with AI, especially with Sauber.
In practice I have no problem at all (low fuel, high fuel, option/ primes) everything works fine, in Q also everything is ok, but then problem is in race on the first stint on option tyres.
After every brake zone I am just sliding, like on ice, I am playing with G27 and all assists off, so it is pretty hard to control it and all the way until you get into you first pit and switch to primes, totally different driving on primes, no sliding , bearly no spinning tires
I have started 4 races from pole and on first stint on options, AI was all over my rear, I am bearly holding it and than you come to pit, switch to primes and all problems are gone, at the end I can manage to put around 10 seconds between me and second driver.
Is that maybe some sort of bug with tyres on which you are starting race??

I simply dont know because this is just totally different gameplay from past F1 series.

Does anybody else have this problem??
Ok, so, I play on PRO AI because I find it impossible to catch up with AI, especially with Sauber.
In practice I have no problem at all (low fuel, high fuel, option/ primes) everything works fine, in Q also everything is ok, but then problem is in race on the first stint on option tyres.
After every brake zone I am just sliding, like on ice, I am playing with G27 and all assists off, so it is pretty hard to control it and all the way until you get into you first pit and switch to primes, totally different driving on primes, no sliding , bearly no spinning tires
I have started 4 races from pole and on first stint on options, AI was all over my rear, I am bearly holding it and than you come to pit, switch to primes and all problems are gone, at the end I can manage to put around 10 seconds between me and second driver.
Is that maybe some sort of bug with tyres on which you are starting race??

I simply dont know because this is just totally different gameplay from past F1 series.
CM have completely screwed up the grip and tyre wear this year. I have similar issues but I'm using a pad. Hopefully they'll patch it

But it is really funny, I will try to make video of one race on 25% to see this.
On option tyres you are really struggling for grip, for everything, up until you came on pit and change on primes, then you are flying and able to push...unbelievable

You start on a used set of options with a tank full of fuel. Ofcourse the tyres are wearing harder and losing grip earlier .

The tyre wear is just as bad as in real life at the start of the season.
Remember, 4 stops races?
Maybe they've could done better on the grip.

Maybe you have to look at your setup, I think you're making quali setups and struggle on race day.

You start on a used set of options with a tank full of fuel. Ofcourse the tyres are wearing harder and losing grip earlier .

The tyre wear is just as bad as in real life at the start of the season.
Remember, 4 stops races?
Maybe they've could done better on the grip.

Maybe you have to look at your setup, I think you're making quali setups and struggle on race day.
I can accept that, however what I cannot accept is the fact that I have to do 4 stops and ai only 3

CM have completely screwed up the grip and tyre wear this year. I have similar issues but I'm using a pad. Hopefully they'll patch it
Maybe for a controller it is more of a pain, but i haven't been able to drive with a controller since F1 '97 for the Playstation. I use a wheel and I like the tyre wear and grip levels. It is more of a challenge. It was the same for the real teams at the start of this season, everyone complaining about the tyres...
I hope they leave it as it is :)

Some love the new system and some hate it.

I would suggest that you try out a simple mod, that the modder has spent a lot of time on.

He has 2 versions currently, one for 100% races and one for 25% races. It gives a little extra life to the tyres.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/reduced-tyre-wear.75617/

Don't change your pit strategy because of it, just regard it as a means of having usable tyres for the end of a stint. If you are pitting on lap 12, don't delay it to 14 because you might get a couple of extra laps now, pit as planned.

The modder is testing on ALL tracks and adjusting as necessary so that the mod is not OP

Maybe for a controller it is more of a pain, but i haven't been able to drive with a controller since F1 '97 for the Playstation. I use a wheel and I like the tyre wear and grip levels. It is more of a challenge. It was the same for the real teams at the start of this season, everyone complaining about the tyres...
I hope they leave it as it is :)
I'm a poor student who can't afford a proper wheel and I'm currently saving up for a laptop that I can game on properly and take to university (Looking at the Macbook Pro with Retina Display. I've got a trip to USA with parents next year and I can get it £800 cheaper there than here in the UK)

Like what remydeleeuw say, check your setup, are you using anti-roll bar 11-11 ?? All camber go full left ??
Nope. Was using this:

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 2
Rear Wing Angle: 3

Braking
Balance: F 48% - R 52%
Pressure: Medium
Brake Size: Normal

Balance
Front Anti-Roll Bar: 2
Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 6

Suspension
Front Ride Height: 2
Rear Ride Height: 8
Front Spring Stiffness: 2
Rear Spring Stiffness: 4

Gearbox
Gear 1: 139 kph / mph
Gear 2: 171 kph / mph
Gear 3: 197 kph / mph
Gear 4: 224 kph / mph
Gear 5: 256 kph / mph
Gear 6: 286 kph / mph
Gear 7: 313 kph / mph

Engine
Fuel Map: Rich

Alignment
Camber Front: -2.70
Camber Rear: -0.80
Toe Front: 0.13
Toe Rear: 0.40

Think I need to swap the ARB around though...soft back hard front.

No guys, you get me wrong, I am never making setups based on Q, prefer to be faster on race, it doesnt matter that I am starting with used set of options with full tank, i have done similar test on practise with options and full tank and it was fine, also, on Q i am trying to do one flying lap and that is it, so tyres are still at around 95% when I start the race.

I just think they screwed up 25 and 50% races and you are only getting real racing on 100% races.
I have never used 11-11 anti.roll, i know that destroys tyres..

Hey, a fellow Kristian!

I'm on pace on legendary difficulty, no assists, no setup, and I'm soft on tyres if anything, so I don't think it's a problem with the game.

You sound like you're above the performance of the AI on professional difficulty, having four poles. Perhaps you're using your tyres too much; try using your advantage in pace to save tyres. I feel the devs were trying to make the game more realistic by making it a bad strategy to drive flat out all the time.

In terms of how to save tyres, you can save the rears by being super smooth on the throttle out of corners. Being kind on the fronts can be done by not using full steering lock around fast corners, and not attacking the entry of corners as much. You may feel like you're going too slow, but it's probably faster than eating up those tyres, resulting in doing more pit stops and losing time there.

I find it easier to be kind on the rear tyres, so I put my brake balance on the rear (so that they wear more, and I don't have to conserve fronts as much). Doing the opposite (brake balance on front, saving front tyres a lot) may be advantageous for keeping cars behind you, as it allows you to use lots of traction out of corners.

Practice makes perfect; the more you play, the more you'll get to know a circuit, and the more efficient you'll be at saving tyres, allowing you to go quicker overall. You'll get to legendary eventually, but the transition might be a big difficult. You can use mods to make the AI faster on professional if you eventually feel the gap between prof and legend is too big.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT
Oh, about your problems with stability going in to a corner, it might be a setup error. Try running with default setup in the same, or a similar, scenario. I get a similar effect with the Ferrari F399 (1999 Ferrari), and from what I can tell, it's just due to lack of mechanical grip, so that might be another reason. Look to your downshifts: Downshifting too fast during braking/turn-in can make the car unstable and oversteery at the rear on entry to corners. Downshift later, and perhaps try to take corners in a higher gear.

Last edited:
I am only struggling on used sets of options when I start a race, when I switch on new primes all is good, i am good at keeping them alive until next pitstop window and there is even grip for few more laps, only problem is really on that used options on start, I can make them last long, maybe lets say 6-7 laps and i am all over the place.

Problem is I am doing it , I am going for only one flying lap and inlap back to pit.
But anyway, maybe the problem is on 25% races, maybe i should switch to at least 50% to get it more realistic strategy.
But i find AI too difficould at legend, especially without any assists, maybe next season if i move to faster car could definetly do legend AI.

that setup looks like gigisan1987 melbourne setup. I also used that setup for melbourne and was excellent on the tyres. i did a 2stop where as the ai did 3 stop.
But then again i was racing in 100% distance, Not sure how they go in 25% distance.
However i have noticed 25% distance your tyre wears out so much more than it should. It is not well balanced. 100% distance is balanced perfectly.

Well maybe i am expecting little bit too much from Sauber at the first season!!

I now just tried to play with RBR , on Silverstone, did only practice, primes 1:32:5XX with easy after 9 laps and on options 1:31.2XX, easily could get 1:30:7XX with good setup , primes were at 89% after 9 laps which is good (or at least i think so) and for options i forgot to check, test was with 15 laps of fuel onbord, RBR was going around Silverstone like a train, no sliding/spining, etc...

Yeah, maybe I am expecting little bit to much from Saouber ;)

that setup looks like gigisan1987 melbourne setup. I also used that setup for melbourne and was excellent on the tyres. i did a 2stop where as the ai did 3 stop.
But then again i was racing in 100% distance, Not sure how they go in 25% distance.
However i have noticed 25% distance your tyre wears out so much more than it should. It is not well balanced. 100% distance is balanced perfectly.

Wow. You must be good on tyres as the AI are really good on them

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 305 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing