Career and teams question

Hi guys. Like the game a lot so far. Just started career and I'm doing Cup Stage A challenge. But I'm stuck on "Drift Kings". The only car teams it says I'm eligible for right now are the Alpha Romero GTA and the Lotus Cortina cars. These cars are extremely difficult to drive and I'm struggling coming in anything but last even on amateur.

I was wondering is there a way to buy cars with the money I earn and add them to the teams roster? Are there faster cars I can add or am I stuck with the Alpha Romero and Lotus Cortina? If I can't add any new cars, are any good setups for either of these? The AI is kicking my ass on the straights even on amateur.:frown: :crying:I can only imagine what it's like on pro
:jaw:

Hi Isamu

Thanks for the glowing report, :embarrassed: I have uploaded setups for a whole lot of the cars in GTL at various tracks, most have the car as first part of name and "Sam" as second, eg. Lakeside: 'Stang Sam, Magnycours: Mini Sam, Mondelo: Healey Sam etc. I'm afraid there are too many for me to remember which tracks/cars but if you find one it should be OK at most places with fuel and gearing adjusted to suit the particular track you are on, plus, once you have signed up as a racing member, there are a couple in the setup section here under my name.

Sam

Hi Isamu

Thanks for the glowing report, :embarrassed: I have uploaded setups for a whole lot of the cars in GTL at various tracks, most have the car as first part of name and "Sam" as second, eg. Lakeside: 'Stang Sam, Magnycours: Mini Sam, Mondelo: Healey Sam etc. I'm afraid there are too many for me to remember which tracks/cars but if you find one it should be OK at most places with fuel and gearing adjusted to suit the particular track you are on, plus, once you have signed up as a racing member, there are a couple in the setup section here under my name.

Sam

OK thanks :)

Wow.

After doing the Cup Stage B event, I have come to the conclusion that this game is extremely unforgiving! It is very rewarding once you finish 1st in a race, but man....you have to be FLAWLESS on the track to get a 1st place finish in Amateur!

I cannot tell you how many times I'd be in 1st place on the very last lap and bam, the car begins to swerve, and I go spinning out. I was (literally)screaming out loud words I shant repeat here. I also notice that when you BARELY touch the grass or sand, you seem to immediately lose the ability to steer the car at all. It just....goes in a straight line. Very wierd.

Why is it that one tiny little swerve with the Cortina causes it to lose control and spin? What do you suggest is the best way to straighten it before doing a 180 and dashing all hopes of losing the race?

I'd LOVE to see some replays Stuart. Please upload some when you get a chance.

• Matt Crouch

Relevant replays:
You will need the tracks to view these as well.. Not sure what if any default tracks we've done in these cars

Cortina:
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Cadwell_090613_2101.Vcr @ Cadwell Park
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Lime%20Rock%20Park%20v1.1_090606_2048.Vcr @ Lime Rock Park
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Lime Rock Mountain_090606_2126.Vcr @ Lime Rock Mountain

Alfa:

http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Ahvenisto FULL_090616_2038.Vcr @ Ahvenisto
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Birmingham Grand Prix_090616_2146.Vcr @ Birmingham

The best solution to not losing control when swerving is not to swerve in the first place :D. You've heard it all before I'm sure [about 10 posts up] but brake early and learn your braking points, progressively increase throttle while exiting, wait until the car is stable before putting your foot down.
As pretty much everything is RWD the general solution when you start to lose it is to lift off the throttle to an extent and steer the opposite direction, earlier the better, just don't over-compensate and go the other way ;). I often find the natural tendency is to put more throttle on when oversteering out of a corner, but it's very rarely the right course of action - only on some corners you can turn it into a drift by putting on lots of opposite steering.
Beware of lifting full off the throttle straight away as you will just find yourself in lift-off oversteer

Relevant replays:
You will need the tracks to view these as well.. Not sure what if any default tracks we've done in these cars

Cortina:
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Cadwell_090613_2101.Vcr @ Cadwell Park
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Lime Rock Park v1.1_090606_2048.Vcr @ Lime Rock Park
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Lime Rock Mountain_090606_2126.Vcr @ Lime Rock Mountain

Alfa:

http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Ahvenisto FULL_090616_2038.Vcr @ Ahvenisto
http://zogger.co.uk/evo-report/Birmingham Grand Prix_090616_2146.Vcr @ Birmingham

The best solution to not losing control when swerving is not to swerve in the first place :D. You've heard it all before I'm sure [about 10 posts up] but brake early and learn your braking points, progressively increase throttle while exiting, wait until the car is stable before putting your foot down.
As pretty much everything is RWD the general solution when you start to lose it is to lift off the throttle to an extent and steer the opposite direction, earlier the better, just don't over-compensate and go the other way ;). I often find the natural tendency is to put more throttle on when oversteering out of a corner, but it's very rarely the right course of action - only on some corners you can turn it into a drift by putting on lots of opposite steering.
Beware of lifting full off the throttle straight away as you will just find yourself in lift-off oversteer

Much appreciated Matt :)

@Sam

Can you give me a hint where to find a Lotus Elan 26R Setup? I browsed the folders but was not able to find one :struggle:

Good question. Also Sam, got any good 'Vette setups? I'm in dire need of one :p

• Matt Crouch

Okay I had a quick look, bearing in mind I'm not the best driver but I can see some points where I can give hints. Maybe some of this is obvious but I might as well say it :)

Starting: It looks like you could start a lot quicker - I don't think you're revving before the lights go out? I assume you have a clutch on your pricey pedals and this is the best place to put it to use - clutch down - -put it in first gear before the countdown and rev to near the limit then slowly release the clutch and vary the throttle for maximum traction.

Hockenheim - Vette's are always quite tricky being heavy and slow turners, really a slow in / fast out kind of car. There are a few corners where you have a good braking point, but you stopped braking quite early, carried too much speed into the corner and went wide in the middle or on the exit.
For example at 77 seconds if you had have carried on braking a couple of metres longer you would probably have had a tighter line through the corner allowing you to run to the outside for the next corner, and avoiding the oversteer you got*. It was a good recovery though
Generally you could use a bit more space round here - at hockenheim - and most of the default tracks - the kerbs are pretty tame, so you can fearlessly get two wheels on the kerb in a lot of corners, moreso on the exit of corners than the entry as it is still quite difficult to turn in off of a kerb.

You could gain a lot of time in T1 by coming in to the corner much wider. I normally come down the S/F straight with the car as close to the kerb as possible without touching it, turn in to the corner about half way down the kerb (varies by car) and aim for the posts on the inside of the corner. As long as you're not going very slowly you'll always drift slightly wider than that, and normally end up just running slightly over the inside kerb. then if it goes right drifting to the outside kerb on the exit. It's not an easy corner to get perfect though.

Imola - Your line round this track was pretty decent and it showed with the P1 ;). Just a case of practicing to see where you can push it further, again a couple of times when you could have used more of the track, but good overall.

It's funny watching the offline races as I've never tried the AI in GTL - At the start of Imola you can just charge past all the AI cars on the inside because they mostly follow pretty slowly in a neat line. You could never do that in an online race. It also doesn't help so much with getting in good laps when you have to go to the inside to overtake everyone ;)

*short shifting would also be useful here - changing to a higher gear slightly earlier than usual would have stopped the rear wheels from spinning and prevented the oversteer.

Okay.....
'preciate the coments Matt. Finally did Hockemheihm but now Imola in the Vette is kicking my ass. So many difficult turns to conquer in this Vette. I simply hate the 'Vette with a passion now, and never want to drive it again. I'm praying the game doesn't force into the vette for any future races :lol: I will keep your advice about braking a little longer in mind :)

Gotta question about the AI. When altering the AI strength within the PLR ini file, can you apply the new settings to a previously saved game? I tried lowering it to 80% just for kicks, even though I'm doing the cup challenges on amateur. But once I start the race and then alt+tab out of the game, I open up the ini file and it reverts back to 90%.

Does that mean the PLR file changes won't "stick" unless I start a new game with a new save?

I suppose there is a hardcoded value (say 90% for Amateur) and if the code detects a lower value than this it will be set back to its default value. You can probably increase it but not lower it.

Here is what I did: Turned all driving aids off in the .plr file and I'm playing Semi Pro (95%) because pro with no driving aids is too much for a casual gamer like me.
So you can tweak the driving aids and go to a lower level in-game.

I suppose there is a hardcoded value (say 90% for Amateur) and if the code detects a lower value than this it will be set back to its default value. You can probably increase it but not lower it.

Here is what I did: Turned all driving aids off in the .plr file and I'm playing Semi Pro (95%) because pro with no driving aids is too much for a casual gamer like me.
So you can tweak the driving aids and go to a lower level in-game.

Thanks Hagen. Yeah, like I told David over at RSC, I've been doing that already. How much faster and aggressive are the AI going from having them at 90% to 110%? Is there a night and day difference to their speed? Because at 90% they're already flawless around the track!

Feels pretty good to know I can complete the cups with no driving aids and AI at 90, being as I come strictly from the arcade racing scene. But boy is it hard. GRID will feel like a breeze after this :)

Hi guys. Well I finally completed the all the Cup Challenges :)

All Golds except for Cup Stage E: At first I didn't feel like going through the torture of racing through 15, 20 & 60 laps of agony in Amateur, but I have to admit in hindsight I definitely could have them with maybe the exception of the night races. The difference between Novice and Amateur is TREMENDOUS. Amateur gives you a good challenge and sometimes a seemingly impossible one(Cup Stage D: David and Goliath at Imola & Spa), while novice is pretty much a joke and a slap in the face(I lapped the 1st place driver 4 times in the endurance race :rofl: )

Dave, you have to admit though...it is literally....and I mean L-I-T-E-R-A-L-L-Y *impossible* to beat any of the Cup Challenges on Professional! I tried the David and Goliath race in Cup Stage D at Imola, and had to actually pause the game in complete bewilderment at how fast and flawless the AI are.

I would like to know if anyone knows ANYONE that has completed the GTL Cup Challenges in Professional with no driving aids? I'd sure like to shake that person's hand :)

Last question..... my percentage completion is currently at around 62%. What exactly do you have to do to get 100%? Is it because I completed Cup Stage E with all Silvers instead of Gold?

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back