Car Radar

Apps Car Radar 1.6

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hmm, ok, so what needs to happen is you guys all need to pitch in for a "dev kit" for me, so I can work on this VR bug :p

Since I can't test, if anybody feels like helping out that'd amazing.

Download This! (mega link)

Replace the .py file in assetto corsa installation folder/apps/python/carRadar. I don't think this will work but I found a line throwing a little error, perhaps it was driving VR modes up the wall.

Look for errors!

If you press the Home key whilst in car it should bring up the console- if you see any errors, hook up a screenshot or send me "py_log" and "log" from C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Assetto Corsa\logs

Possible workaround?
Other than that, I feel I may not be able to fix this other than putting in an option to disable the settings panel so that the user (you) , can set the settings, then turn the panel off so that it doesn't annoy you? I'd probably just put this option in a text file for you to edit like most of those other amateur mods:p

How does that sound?

Many thanks to anybody who even reads this :)

Happy racing, Del

Hi Del,

I couldn't test your updated version yet (currently away from home, due to work), but what I was also seeing, after my last posts, it wasn't only the settings button there, it was actually another instance of car radar on the right eye.
So I had car radar positioned on my view (like on normal screen setup) and an additional car radar on the right eye of the oculus which I can not move or close, or do anything with it.

I can test your updated version next week, as soon as I'm back home.

Cheers.
Profos

itsjustdel updated Car Radar with a new update entry:

Fade Mode update

V1.4

Little update allowing users to turn off fade when the cars going beyond defined range. "Smooth Fade" button toggles between fade and on/off.

Fixed a bug where your own car was being shown unnecessarily, big thanks to Baikal for his help on this!

Also, some minor optimisations (maybe), removed transparent cars that were being sent to render.

I moved the config folder to a place matching ACs template in the main installation folder so it is now, C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\Documents\Assetto...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Great thanks for ver 1.4, Del !
Annoing bug is fixed, added new future. App is ideal for me and saving my FPS in "simple" mode. It's time to share app in AC official forum, isn't it? ;):) This app must to have a long and happy live in AC :)

Last edited:
The official forum can burn, Stefano was just a dick to me on twitter. Race department all the way :) Anyway, I'd rather have all communication going through one place. Forza RD!

Is there a way to turn on the driver MR (rating)? Helicorsa has that and it helps to see what type of driver is behind you.
You might want to get in touch with MrBelowski of "The Crew Chief" app (he has a thread over at the official Kunos forum where you can get in touch with him).
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/crew-chief-for-assetto-corsa.36440/

For his app it might be easier and even more useful than trying to squeeze this functionality into Car Radar.
Crew Chief could tell you with a driver of a bad rating: "Careful, the driver behind you is new at this, watch your mirrors!"

Personally I absolutely love Car Radar set up to be super minimalistic (I have set it up that it actually does look like a small HUD element projected into the wind screen, as you would find in todays upper range BMWs for example) - it doesn't look like a game HUD element at all this way (I only wish we had the ability to set an individual opacity level on the entire app to further adjust it's visibility and make it look even more realistic).

@itsjustdel would that be a possible feature, to have in the app options menu a numerical value opacity option (of the entire app) in % or with a slider, whatever is easiest to implement ? This way we could "dim" the app to make it look even more as a realistic part of the vehicles cockpit opposed to a game HUD element?

Thanks itsjustdel and Dirk.
I've installed Crew Chief and it works, now I need to test it in real play. Indeed it would be great to hear a warning if a not so clean player is behind.

Just starting to use this. One of the things I do miss from Helicorsa was the ability to alter a background image file so that when there are cars close enough, the background appears and helps give some contrast as well as a range finder behind all the cars going passed. I looked through the various files and see a few variables here and there that look like they MIGHT show a background of some sort, but they don't appear to let me do what I think they should do.

Any chance of adding functionality to have a customization png appear when the set proximity is triggered for the app? And if that is already a thing, some tips on how to make it happen? Thanks for a great app!

Russel, you might want to try out the way I use it - this way you definitely do not miss any car close to you.

Set the position of Car Radar right in the center of your vision over your steering wheel in the windscreen (right were a projected HUD would be in modern cars nowadays).

Set the colors of your car and opponents cars slightly different (I use all red for opponents and red with a black border for my own car).

Set scale and distances the way you want and voila.

It should look like a real part of a currently available projected HUD and as it is right in the path of your vision you will see an opponent closing in as the hud appears (it will be invisible otherwise).
As it is also right in your primary vision you can one eye the hud, judging distance and position of opponents while racing - like @ T1 at Monza for example ;-)

The lack of a "warning image background" I do not see as a lack of feature as the way Car Radar treats this situation is just so much more elegant (the entire HUD fading in and out depending on how far opponents are from your car).

Give it some time and play especially with the scale and distance to find a sweet spot for you.

This is how I used it out of the box. Helicorsa too. I have zero hangups about making the inside of my simulation car look like a space ship, if it helps me get better times without wrecking people. The problem with not having a crosshair or similar like Helicorsa has is that it is difficult for me to VERY QUICKLY negotiate proximity other drivers in relation to my central car. A background image of some sort would help set a static point of reference that leads the eye to the center.

I know what you might say: just color your car different than all other cars and disable proximity warning so they are always the other color! Yeah, I tried that too. I still feel safer using Helicorsa with my modified translucent crosshair, even though the overall functionality of Car Radar is better.

I don't see any reason why, with all of the options already available in Car Radar, adding a customizable background that fades in and out along with normal proximity would harm anything (other than itsjustdel's free time, of course).

Hey Russel, glad you're enjoying the app (mostly!). There is no png that you can enable, I've not added that at all, I was really hesitant to add png/jpg because the whole idea the project that everything was drawn real time, computed by maths only! But since I've kinda managed that now, I really can't argue against your customizable background suggestion. Would you want it to fade in just as your own car fades in? is that the idea?
Also check out "proximity mode", it makes the cars red as they get closer to yours, allowing you to quickly realise their distance.
Cheers, Del
(and thanks everyone for their continued support in this - 2600 DL's, - I was happy at 100!)

Would you want it to fade in just as your own car fades in? is that the idea?

Yes, that's it exactly! The one that Helicorsa had wasn't dark enough for my tastes either and it didn't adequately differentiate my car from others (unless I'm on a minorating server, which I almost never am), but they made it just another png in a file structure so I modded it. Theirs looks like this:

ZfEysIM.png

And mine looks like this:

NxLMILT.png

I have messed with the proximity mode. I kind of disabled it immediately since I colored my car red in the center, so if cars that are really close are also red then it makes for big blob of red in the middle. I suppose I could go with a different color for me... not sure. But I'd love to be able to have a .png fade in and out with the cars!

Hehe Russel ;) I am need's this "1\0 style" car overlap indicators too. Its more informative in races.
So, I 've done the merge of carRadar and Helicorsa ( using both ) .
For me now this view is ideal ) You can do it too. Use config file of Helicorsa to disable cars and use any png or helicorsa default pics :)

Last edited:
SQUEEEE! I was just about to see if I could do this as another aspect of Helicorsa I love (and didn't realize I needed until trying Car Radar in an SRS race today) was the "side indicator" warning flashes. I even included it in my above screenshot! I'm absolutely going to marry these two applications immediately. Thanks for the empirical evidence!

Del, you may be able to save yourself a bit of work here by having us just overlap these apps, but if you are super bored and want to essentially make Helicorsa obsolete, a customizable background image combined with side warning indicators would do it, in my book!

Let me start off by saying I LOVE the app. It is a lifesaver if you don't have VR or multiple monitors. Absolutely brilliant.

That being said, I had been using it successfully for quite awhile, but now after a few updates to Content Manager and Assetto, I can no longer get it to show up in my app list. It is listed and checked in "Activated Apps" but it doesn't show up on my in-game desktop or in the app list. I have tried removing and re-installing the app to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?

Content Manager screenshot included for reference.View attachment 238492

I have had this exact issue with some apps over time with Assetto Corsa.
I have never really found the precise cause but this method always worked to fix it:

- uninstall the app completely
- make a Steam file integrity check
- reinstall the app

For any more detailed reason why this happens with Assetto Corsa sometimes I would be very happy to hear.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%