Capri 2600 VS 74 Vette - Tuesday May 25th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyergtc72.jpg

vettevscapri.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Capri 2600 vs 1974 Corvette (This is the less powerful of the GTC76 Vettes)
Track: Botniaring (Download HERE)
Start Time: 19:00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 22 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: The RDHGP S4 skinpack will be used for both cars, so must be installed.
Note3: The car you will be driving in Race 1 will be listed next to your name in the sign-ups. Please make sure you know what car you are driving in Race 1.

My Setups:

Attachments

• CDCapri2600.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 234
  • CDVette74.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 264
Painful evening for me, really struglled in both cars.

I knew it was going to be rough when I was involved in a massive pile up on lap 1 of race one, and was then punted off at turn 2.......I tried to muscle the capri round but I just kept on spinning...really annoyed as I usually enjoy that car.

I had high hopes for the vette as I prefer big powerful cars I can chuck around. It started well and I was up to 2nd and one point. But slowly the crowds drove round me in their capri and made my vette look like a Dad dancing at a wedding. I just wanted to hold on as long as possible but as Stu was trying to pass me we happened across Jack who was a lap down. Pulling out of the hairpin at T5 Stu was inside me and I nailed it to try and cut back in front before the chicane. Alas we closed up on Jack who hit the brakes to let us pass. I wasn't expecting this and couldn't avoid a collision that took all 3 of us out. Sorry boys!

After that the tyres jsut slowly melted away until they were about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.......trundled home in 9th i think.

Thanks for teh good cars and track Carlos, I'm just annoyed I couldn't make the most of them. Cheers Stu for Admining tonight, and sorry again about our coming together.

Sorry to Avi El in race 1 for the bump at the start in T1. Couldn't slow down quick enough. I checked the replay and it was my fault and sorry to Tim Kaars for the bump in race 2 when trying to slow down before a corner to allow you to pass and the car spun sideways. Thanks to all who prepared and participated in today's event. I found it very difficult at first but did develop a bit of a flow after awhile. No problem to Tom Wilson. I was trying to slow at a safe pace but must have slowed too much.

There is no secret that GTL is my prefered SIM racing, even if I don't race often at RD, I do a few championships out there along with Power & Glory.
Steven was very unlucky both races, first one he spun when he was in 1st place, right in front of me. I had one driver on my right side and just couldn't avoid Steven, sorry for that. Second race we were side by side to the first corner, Steven was on the out side line and I saw he ran wide into the grass. Very unlucky because Steven was in good position both times to get a good result.
First race was almost a bit lonely after Stuart's spin, untill there we swapped places and drove side by side several times, good fair and clean duel Stu.
Last laps I managed a safe gap to Avi, when he began to get close to me, nice pace considering the tire wear of the Vette at the time Avi.

Second race was insane and a mess for me. After a confortable lead, I spun three times and lost a podium finish. In the meantime I had lots of fun with Avi, Amir a another drivers that I can't remember the name.

Very pleasent evening.
Thank you Stuart and RD.

Cheers

Definitely an evening of two halves for me.

Didn't really enjoy the Vette that much, even though I had decent (but definitely not race winning) pace, and a couple of really good enjoyable laps with Prib early on as he mentions. It felt too much of a struggle for me, like I was hanging on to the Vette rather than driving it. Whenever I managed to string a few clean laps together, I was making up the odd place, but not really catching the front boys by any significant amount. Due to some offs by people, and me keeping it relatively clean for the second half of the race, I ended up a distant 3rd.

Race 2, and what a contrast. I sort of fluked into a good (for me, at least) Capri setup, by losing grip rather than gaining it, but that lost grip was at one end, and it balanced the car really nicely. All of the 2600 Capri nasties seemed to just fade away and revealed what a great and fun car to drive this can be. I loved the Capri. Set a goodish time in Prac, another goodish time in Quali, but Prib absolutely nailed his quali for a well deserved pole. I got a rotten start, too eager on the clutch and too much wheelspin, which cost me a couple of places.

All of which didn't matter, I knew I was quick in the Dagenham dustbin and thought I'd be able to make it back up. And I did, often making up 5+ sec over a 3-4 lap stretch, only to be baulked several times by various on-track incidents (some of which were pretty poor, to be honest) that cost me all of that hard work. I finally got a piece of clear track and started closing in on Bob, reeling him in (including a fastest lap in there on some pretty worn tyres) until I was close enough to be there or thereabouts to get past, but unfortunately (again) traffic worked for him and against me whenever I was about to try and put together a pass. Even with that, it was almost a drag to the line once we passed the spinning Prib, Bob just having enough in reserve to move (cleanly) across onto the racing line for that last couple of corners to deny me the chance at a last gasper.

Quite frustrating at the time, but in hindsight, all the trials and tribulations made it a really good fun and eventful race.

Another cracking choice of vehicle and venue by the boy Diaz. :good:

There is no secret that GTL is my prefered SIM racing, even if I don't race often at RD, I do a few championships out there along with Power & Glory.
Steven was very unlucky both races, first one he spun when he was in 1st place, right in front of me. I had one driver on my right side and just couldn't avoid Steven, sorry for that. Second race we were side by side to the first corner, Steven was on the out side line and I saw he ran wide into the grass. Very unlucky because Steven was in good position both times to get a good result.

Thanks Paulo....It was a very different story for me my end as I swore both times I had been hit...BUT.unfortunately it looks like it was a repeat of my lag problem as both Bob and Stuart confirm after reviewing their replays that no one was near me. On my replays it shows cars pushing me off...So clearly the problem is my end and that is a shame because after a week on the phone to Indian based call centers it looks like I have to start all over again. :eek:

The night was very enjoyable though as once again the car and track combo was spot on. I had some good pace in the cars too and was really looking forward to hustling up front.

Thanks to Carlos for another top night's entertainment and of course all the Gentlemen racers of the GTL Club :)

Well where shall I start, ok race 1 I suppose:

In the Vette for this one and as some of you know I'm not a great lover of american muscle but the more I drive them the better I get in them but still not to the point of loving them, yet. After a half decent start I found myself going into T1 alongside Amir only to be greeted with a mess of cars. As I avoided, or tried to, the carnage I was greeted with a head-on sight of a Capri stationary, later to find out it was Steve Palmer, & as I took avoiding action I clipped him but expected to be just pushed off track, to my surprise this flipped the car and all I saw was blue sky and tarmac several times. As the car landed I was straight into the tyre barrier and came to a stop. After getting her going again, strong cars these, she didn't feel that bad so I just put the hammer down and thought lets see if I can at least finish the race. Along the way I managed to pick up some spots from those having their own issues and managed to bring it home. All in all not a bad outcome considering I thought the car was dead after my lap one incident.

Race 2, now in the Capri, lovely car, my setup was good but not as good as Stu's, I was up the sharp end of the grid. Got a great start and shot by Stu and into and out off T1 in 3rd which soon became second. I new I didn't have the pace of Paulo but thought I could pick up some usefull info by trying to keep as close as possible in the eary stages. After a few laps Paulo spun, which surprised me a bit, so now in pole position I just kept it on the island and kept the consentration levels up as I didn't want to bin it. As the laps went by I could see Avi gaining on me and when he caught me I didn't put up any kind of fight as I knew this might hamper my race and as qualifing showed he was quicker than me. Next up behind me was Paulo on the recovery trail so again I thought it best to let him pass with minimal affect on my race. Quite happy with P3 and getting to the sharp end of the race I could see Stu still on the leader board put he did have a DNF against his name which I knew he was still in the race but had no time on him. This made gauging my pace very hard but as I couldn't see him when looking in my mirror I just kept pushing as hard as I could dare too. A few lap unitl the chequered flag I caught sight of Stu and over the next couple of laps he was closing in on me fast. All I could think of was not to lose my position at the end after I have such a good race. Lucky for me we encountered some traffic on the last 2 laps which worked well for me but not so for Stu. On the last lap and just a couple of corners to go there was no more slower cars so Stu really put the hammer down and was right on my tail. About 3 corners from the end we encountered a spun Paulo which nearly gave Stu the opportunity to pass me but I managed to keep it on the racing line and crossed the line ahead, few.

Thanks Carlos for what is now becoming from your good work, grt car/track combo's. Grts to Paulos a Avi on their wins, wd all podium finishers including myself & a big thx to all the showed up for some great racing.

P.s. Steve, get that connection sorted soon mate, we need you on track to spice things up a little.

I'm typing this from my brother's laptop as my pc died due to a power failure yesterday. It only makes a high squeeling sound when trying to boot it... I'm afraid I won't be able to compete at Mo I Rana (I will correct my allocation right now)

On the event: I really was enjoying the powerfull cars on the short track and for a millisecond I even was driving in first position... A real bummer & I hope to get things working asap.

Race report with some pictures

What to say from that guy Carlos ? cook t up an event that in the first glans give a big question mark , but after some training laps the fun begins !

Race 1 Capri for me,had the most probs with this car to hold it on track, (breaks out quick)but on one moment I was driving with a full load of fuel an he wat the car was more stable then before,did my quali with it an guess wat P4 no man more surprised than me:D.
Steven Pole-Stuart p2-Paulo p3-Hans p4...,
GCS_002.jpg
But fumbled up the start P 11 first corner,
GCS_003.jpg
some hassle in the corner p5 again But..
GCS_004.jpg
Second corner to close on Amir both off back to p13 Sorry for that Amir
GCS_005.jpg

After that start to race again making mistakes coming back again having nice fights with Andrew an fin. on p10 with a 1.18.651 lap time ,still a good race an good fun to.

Race 2

Corvette for me,Quali not good not bad p 7,the Sound of that car is great !
Paulo on Pole-Stuart-p2-Steven p3,
GCS_001.jpg
Third place after the first corner, back to p7 in the last corner
GCS_002.jpg
Stu lost the car an coming back Tim move a side an Steven go by,
GCS_004.jpg
Amir going of going by p 5
GCS_005.jpg
Paulo with a big lead,
GCS_007.jpg
Tom p3 an Avi on his tail,
GCS_008.jpg
Paulo of,Bob Tom an Avi go by
GCS_010.jpg
Amir lost the car an the battle Steven through,
GCS_013.jpg
Avi new leader,Paulo 2 Bob 3
GCS_014.jpg
Amir of after some nice fights,
GCS_016.jpg
Tom of an Tim in front of me,
GCS_020.jpg
passing Tim just before the fin.line taking p7
GCS_021.jpg
Tim-p8 Tom-p9
GCS_022.jpg
Avi taking Victory,
GCS_023.jpg
Bob on p2 an Stuart on p3
GCS_024.jpg
Paulo p4-Steven p5-Roman p6- Jack p10-Andrew P11-Amir in the pits-p12

Again a great race ,thanks Carlos an Stuart for setting it up ,an thanks for the nice battles guys.:D

Glad you guys liked it. I really wanted to be there but real life had to step in and I had to be away for a whole week.

What do you guys think about this track? Should we keep it and run more events here?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back