F1 2012 Can someone explain how to use the in-race Brake settings?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
I think front bias means a shorter distance for braking into a corner that is uphill. Rear bias is the same except it is better for downhill. I think thats right anyway..

So for example at monaco coming up to the first corner you should change the brake bias to front as it is uphill. And then change to the rear for the corner just after the tunnel as it is downhill.

Edit - And I think front bias is best for braking into a corner at high speed, like the first chicane at Monza..

I'd like some clarification too. Is there a point using anything other than front bias? Braking into high speed corners would benefit from rear bias?
Brake bias forward: Shortest stopping distance, but car wants to stay straight while braking
Brake bias neutral: somewhere in the middle
Brake bias rear: Longest stopping distance, but car can turn under braking.

More in depth: Braking causes the car to pitch forward, which reduces grip at the rear of the car, and increases grip at the front.

If you are traveling in a straight line you want to set the bias far enough forward so that all 4 tires lock up at the exact same time for optimum stopping power. If the fronts lock up before the rears, your rear brakes aren't strong enough, and vice versa.

If you are cornering and braking you want to set the bias more toward the center so that your front wheels don't lock up, they are already heavily strained by the cornering forces and if they lock up you'll just understeer off the track. keep in mind that your front tires steer, and your rear tires drive.

Locking up the rear tires is just bad news and usually causes your car to spin out. This is because once the rears are locked they want to keep going in the same direction, while your front end is still gripping and slowing.
At least that is the explanation that I received from
John Robertson

Thanks for the recognition Ljubisa_frizer! that is very polite of you :)

I'd like some clarification too. Is there a point using anything other than front bias? Braking into high speed corners would benefit from rear bias?

I almost always do all of my braking before the corner, driving straight, so front bias is really all I use. I've yet to play anything but the demo though and I think that certain corners, especially sector 3 of Malaysia, might benefit from neutral or rear bias. Especially since there are a few corners where simultaneous turning and braking are needed.

@Shane Butler - I don't think going up or downhill has much to do with brake bias. yes it will alter the pitch of the car relative to the horizon but I think there's enough downforce on f1 cars to take that out of the equation for the most part.

Elevation will effect stopping distance though!

Braking up hill = shorter braking.
Braking down hill = longer braking.

I think it would be best to use front bias for ANY straight line braking, up or downhill

Does one of you guys happen to know how much it's changing the bias when using the in-game option? 1%? 2%? And does it stack? So if I press REAR twice, will it add twice the amount? :)

Does one of you guys happen to know how much it's changing the bias when using the in-game option? 1%? 2%? And does it stack? So if I press REAR twice, will it add twice the amount? :)
I dont think it stacks, over complicated for a game like this. It would be more then 2%. I cant be precise but from the demo it felt a considerable but not drastic amount. But i wont put a percentage on it. :) It could be that a modder could help out here with what they have observed in the games files.

I dont think it stacks, over complicated for a game like this. It would be more then 2%. I cant be precise but from the demo it felt a considerable but not drastic amount. But i wont put a percentage on it. :) It could be that a modder could help out here with what they have observed in the games files.

It may be as much as 5%... I was testing yesterday around Melbourne. Left brake at 50/50 and pushed it forwards on track. Then changed the setting to 55/45 and put bias back to neutral setting on track and it felt pretty similar.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back