Can any IRL kart drivers offer feedback about AMS?

I'm trying to get out to VIR some time after the beginning of next year to get some time on track with their rental karts, which they say can get up around 50 mph. I'm having to save up because it's a long drive out there and I'd like to buy at least a couple of hours of time to make it worth my while. If anyone with real-world experience could offer me any feedback about the realism of the karts in AMS, and what things I should be aware of in regards to any shortcomings in the sim which I should take into account, then I'd be grateful.

Have you tried inverting it yet? What wheel are you running? I'm running a fanatec V2.

Just for fun I tried it. Kart work best for me with the default settings. If I invert just them, I get the expected inverted (backwards) forces. But my AMS cars a mixture of positive and negative already, so if your karts work better inverted, I will suggest that they were inverted to start with and all you have done is flip them to the correct orientation.

well dont slide if you wanna go fast and shift your body weight to outside wheels :p
But therein lies the fault with the physics unfortunately, you can slide in real life to a high degree, there isn't any bogging down. But hey ho, Reiza have done a pretty good job with the physics I suppose compared to other racing titles, plus V1.5 is coming up so things are starting wrapped up, so I'm guessing kart physics is pretty low on the list of things to touch up really! Does anyone else have a problem with the AI though? They often just run themselves off the road, you'll be having a great race then they just fall off the road. That's annoying...

But therein lies the fault with the physics unfortunately, you can slide in real life to a high degree, there isn't any bogging down. But hey ho, Reiza have done a pretty good job with the physics I suppose compared to other racing titles, plus V1.5 is coming up so things are starting wrapped up, so I'm guessing kart physics is pretty low on the list of things to touch up really! Does anyone else have a problem with the AI though? They often just run themselves off the road, you'll be having a great race then they just fall off the road. That's annoying...

The new AI algorithms need a bit of tweaking still. Vast improvement over what we had before, but a few vehicles still get too excited and go for some grass cutting. Had this happen with the Boxers the other day, though it was on one of Patrick's tracks, not a Reiza track. Sometimes it is the track programming; sometimes it's the basic parameters of the vehicle. Very complicated and tedious to get it all balanced.

I finally had my time on rental karts. My impression is that the physics in AMS are good.

It's not a 1:1 comparison because some things were different. The karts we used were of a different make -- I don't remember which brand. They definitely were heavier because they had roll bars. So they also had higher centers of gravity. They were set up with some idle throttle, but there's none in AMS. It was colder than in the game; I'd say around 60. The tires got a little dirty more often because parts of the track had a little bit of drying mud on it.

The AMS karts turned a little better, but the above-mentioned things could easily account for that. One thing I thought was unrealistic about the game was how quickly and violently the karts can snap around when locking up the brakes in a straight line, but that exact thing happened to me on the real thing. Another thing that impressed me was that the minor fishtailing seems close to the real thing.

I know those who drive true racing karts take issue with how you can't easily do controlled slides around corners, but I can attest to the accuracy of the rental ones. They are set up to have more understeer and so handle closer to the way that cars do.

The only glaring inaccuracy is that you don't get stuck in AMS if you go off track. I saw a few people off in the grass who needed assistance.

Turn off road progression. I was there for an hour and the rental tires hardly laid down any rubber.

Last edited:
One thing I thought was unrealistic about the game was how quickly and violently the karts can snap around when locking up the brakes in a straight line, but that exact thing happened to me on the real thing.

Braking in a kart is a real art form, constant modulation of braking pressure right on the threshold of stopping in a straight or spinning out. You can also use the brakes to rotate the kart on corner entry and look like a complete hero or twit depending on weather or not you pull it off..........more often than not I fall into the twit category......:D

One thing I thought was unrealistic about the game was how quickly and violently the karts can snap around when locking up the brakes in a straight line, but that exact thing happened to me on the real thing.

Braking in a kart is a real art form, constant modulation of braking pressure right on the threshold of stopping in a straight or spinning out. You can also use the brakes to rotate the kart on corner entry and look like a complete hero or twit depending on weather or not you pull it off..........more often than not I fall into the twit category......:D

And the problem with our toy pedals if they do not have a load cell design (work based on pressure, not just pedal position) is that it is very hard to modulate the braking pressure to the extent needed as described above. Switching to load cell brakes opened my eyes very wide and allowed me to do threshold braking properly on the simulator for the first time.

Catch slide in real life is easier than in the most of SIM. Because of I have more time may be 0.5-1 sec to know that rear end begin to slide compare to SIM
If you can drift in SIM, you can do in real life at the first time of attempt.

Real life 220cc 4-stroke engine has less power to maintain drift.
I am the front driver wearing yellow helmet. At the first time of attempt to try drifting I can do it same as in SIM. When car start to slide, car will lose power immediately so I can't control drifting.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 395 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 267 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 255 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 186 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 314 13.0%