camber and the explanation "more negative"?

Am I the only one who has difficulty with the wording of the camber settings? Is "more" actually to the left, away from zero? "As you increase negative" numbers I'd think that means towards and beyond zero on the x axis?

thanks in advance

Google.com

Increase

synonyms: grow, get bigger, get larger, enlarge, expand, swell;
rise, climb, escalate, soar, surge, rocket, shoot up, spiral;
intensify, strengthen, extend, heighten, stretch, spread, widen;
multiply, snowball, mushroom, proliferate, balloon, build up, mount up, pile up, accrue, accumulate;

Basically it's away from 0.

Random video...

If I remember correctly, there's a (pretty annoying) complication in that the slider that you move in order to adjust the camber (it has a number against it, like "20") isn't consistent from car to car (or even front to rear of a given car!): sometimes you move it left to make the camber more negative, sometimes you move it to the right...

If I remember correctly, there's a (pretty annoying) complication in that the slider that you move in order to adjust the camber (it has a number against it, like "20") isn't consistent from car to car (or even front to rear of a given car!): sometimes you move it left to make the camber more negative, sometimes you move it to the right...
Afaik that's only true for the toe slider as the slider is like in real life and depending how the "toe bar", sorry no clue about the English word, is attached it's working differently. The slider is longer/shorter "toe bar" but it's different from car to car whether that means inside or outside toe.
Camber is always left=more negative, right=towards positive as you won't see a car with upside down wheelbase attachment. Or at least I don't know of a car like that.

(yes, in formula cars you actually have flipped constructions for the anti-roll-bar setup but not for camber afaik)

And yes, more camber = higher negative number since "no camber" means a full flat tyre angle (or 90°) and positive camber isn't really a thing to talk about :p

Car engineering lingo bothers me no end.

I think toe nomenclature is even worse, there are frequent mixup of what positive and negative means. With camber you at least know where it is most of the time, as almost all modern racing has negative camber.

Oh, and shocks. "harder" and "faster" versus "more". More what? More travel or a higher value in the standard physical unit used for it, N/m/s? Saying "Fast" of course now interferes with dampers that have fast and slow for both bump and rebound.

Not that you can find out regularly what those values are for any existing shock absorber.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back