Calling all wheel gurus!

Basically, this is me requesting a little guidance towards what wheel I should be looking to purchase :wink:
Firstly, It's mainly for me playing F1 2010, and 2011 when released on PC though if I could use the wheel on my 360 with forza I'd be more than happy too.

The main factor is money, I do have quite an expensive PC and as a result I'm looking for a cheaper wheel. I've seen G25s up on ebay going for around £120, but to me this is still expensive for a wheel (after half an hour browsing the hardware section I'm assuming all of you are millionaires). I'm 16 and on my summer holidays for quite a while so a summer job isn't out of the question should buying something underpriced be a terrible decision, but honestly I have no idea what I should be looking for...

I've been doing some research and found a few good wheels but I must be missing something, they're seems to be a selection of plastic, and all these ultra-realistic spec wheels and nothing in between! After a few weeks of looking around I'm sort of fed up of using a controller and would like to know how much money I'll need, on forza I don't use assists but my pc controller is broken and only has throttle and brakes on/off which makes not using tcs and abs just a joke in the game.

Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated,
Thanks.

If you want a wheel that works with the PC and the Xbox 360 Fanatec is the way to go, although the price for the wheel is quite steep for the budget you are suggesting. The wheel that will definitely fit your budget is the Logitech Driving Force GT. However, you wont be able to use it on the Xbox 360 unless you get an adapter. And, as I've read on other forums and here, the adapter does not do an excellent job. Some people will definitely help you. Take my suggestion as a starting point.

Upvote 0
if you do go cheap and throw Xbox compatibility out of the window, there are some good models around. The only thing I would advise, is do not go for Thrustmaster, they are terrible quality and even worse support.

Logitech is the way to go on a budget, have a look for momo and DFP wheels. If you do decide you want better, then Fanatec is definately the next step up from logitech.

Upvote 0
If you want a wheel that works with the PC and the Xbox 360 Fanatec is the way to go, although the price for the wheel is quite steep for the budget you are suggesting. The wheel that will definitely fit your budget is the Logitech Driving Force GT. However, you wont be able to use it on the Xbox 360 unless you get an adapter. And, as I've read on other forums and here, the adapter does not do an excellent job. Some people will definitely help you. Take my suggestion as a starting point.

I was looking at the wheel you mentioned prior to the thread, but it seems a lot of people are having issues with it using it on PC because of the drivers and it seems I should stay away, I think I would much rather have a solid PC wheel than something that's going to be different on an xbox and keep my racing to PC. Thanks for the contribution Alvin!

if you do go cheap and throw Xbox compatibility out of the window, there are some good models around. The only thing I would advise, is do not go for Thrustmaster, they are terrible quality and even worse support.

Logitech is the way to go on a budget, have a look for momo and DFP wheels. If you do decide you want better, then Fanatec is definately the next step up from logitech.

Hm, I have a friend with a f430 wheel which seemed to function but felt very cheap and I can see how the quality would be sub-par. Though the momo wheel seems a bit outdated, it looks to be very reliable from what I've seen on youtube. I have to say the dfp you mentioned is a much prettier wheel, and for some reason Logitech offer support for that wheel and have up to date drivers for it too. Could be onto a winner here, thanks for the help Alex!

Upvote 0
No worries, all you have to remember is stay away from Thrustmaster and you'll be fine. The reason being is that not only do they feel cheap and look cheap, but they're built the same way.

Example,

November 2008 I bought my first PC wheel, Thrustmaster RGT FFB Pro Clutch.
1 week later, sent it back for warranty (paddles snapped)
1 week after rep arrived, sent it back for warranty (motor burnt out)
3 weeks after rep arrived, sent it off again, gear axle housing snapped
2 weeks after rep arrived, sequential shift broken, gear housing broken, paddles broken, I gave up and stuck it in a dark place.

2 years later I come back to online racing, fish out the old wheel and started building my own rig. I'm currently having to use a rep wheel while I finish it, but hey, it's lasted a week so far lol.

Upvote 0
I would say save your money and wait untill you can atleast get a g25 (use a controlleror or a very cheap wheel noFFB)
I used a fanatec speedster 3 from the origanl xbox for 6 months (i was supprised how good it was) until i bought a 2nd hand Logitech DFGT, after 3 months i was back on the speedster(i broke it) untill i bought a g25

Upvote 0
No worries, all you have to remember is stay away from Thrustmaster and you'll be fine. The reason being is that not only do they feel cheap and look cheap, but they're built the same way.

Example,

November 2008 I bought my first PC wheel, Thrustmaster RGT FFB Pro Clutch.
1 week later, sent it back for warranty (paddles snapped)
1 week after rep arrived, sent it back for warranty (motor burnt out)
3 weeks after rep arrived, sent it off again, gear axle housing snapped
2 weeks after rep arrived, sequential shift broken, gear housing broken, paddles broken, I gave up and stuck it in a dark place.

2 years later I come back to online racing, fish out the old wheel and started building my own rig. I'm currently having to use a rep wheel while I finish it, but hey, it's lasted a week so far lol.

Understood, I appreciate the info :)

I would say save your money and wait untill you can atleast get a g25 (use a controlleror or a very cheap wheel noFFB)
I used a fanatec speedster 3 from the origanl xbox for 6 months (i was supprised how good it was) until i bought a 2nd hand Logitech DFGT, after 3 months i was back on the speedster(i broke it) untill i bought a g25

Right now the main thing I'm looking at is a Logitech DF wheel, which variant I'm still looking into due to the driver stuff.
I do play using a controller right now, it's just that I'd rather buy a wheel than another controller and the 360 controller I use has broken triggers, which means I can't use manual, and other assists are a pain too as there is no progressive throttle or brake making tcs and abs a must and stopping me from competing in all these awesome leagues!

Thanks for the write up, I'm still looking at G25/27s just incase they're are any going cheap. I know some people don't actually list them very well and just put them up as "PC Racing Wheel" occasionally, I'm sure I'll keep you guys updated anyway :)

Upvote 0
Might also be worth a look in out for sale section, even post a wanted with how much your willing to spend on it.

I know there are people that ditch the G25 after getting a G27/fanatec wheel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back