Cadillac CTS-V

I quite like this topic (even though it's not about Caddy anymore). What do you think about oval racing? I have zero experience and I live in middle Europe so I don't share the enthusiasm of Americans. Could you tell me what exactly is so amazing about oval racing? I know just that the cars are quite simple, rather mechanical than electronical. I quite liked the flaps on the top of the roof, simple but good idea. Superspeedways are quite impressive (nothing beats Nordschleife however).

I would like to know more about this area of racing. I don't like it, but it's no excuse.

Nevertheless, I am happy that there will be more road racing possiblities. iRacing lacks any kind of advertisment in Europe and I think this cuts their profit by half.

I quite like this topic (even though it's not about Caddy anymore). What do you think about oval racing? I have zero experience and I live in middle Europe so I don't share the enthusiasm of Americans. Could you tell me what exactly is so amazing about oval racing? I know just that the cars are quite simple, rather mechanical than electronical. I quite liked the flaps on the top of the roof, simple but good idea. Superspeedways are quite impressive (nothing beats Nordschleife however).

I would like to know more about this area of racing. I don't like it, but it's no excuse.

Nevertheless, I am happy that there will be more road racing possiblities. iRacing lacks any kind of advertisment in Europe and I think this cuts their profit by half.

Well as an Australian I can honestly say I dont know a lot :p However, I do like oval racing, not as much as road but I respect it. Its good for the fans (in some of the smaller ovals like Bristol they can see the entire track from the stand) as it obviously means they get to see more of the cars. Also, there much more wheel to wheel action, where in road racing battles are often between two cars and often with the cars seconds apart, ovals can have entire fields pushed together in the space of less than a couple of seconds. Whilst the tracks themselves are easier in a sense, it takes a lot of skill to stay and work through one of these packs as everyone else jockeys for position. The margins for error are minute, and a mistake from anyone could be a disaster.

I enjoy ovals for that reason, you get more wheel to wheel action. You are almost always in a fight for position, defending from behind and attacking simultaneously, and its quite a thrill to be in one of these epic battles and gain a position. Theres also tactics, as the full field cautions bring the pack together again, and pit stops can play a major role in position. In one race for example, there was a caution, and because I was near the back of the pack I chose not to pit, and because everyone else pitted I took the lead. When the race restarted I drifted back as they had fresher tyres, but not much later in the race there was another caution. I pitted, and they all had to again as the fresher tyres are that much quicker. It meant I gained a lot of positions, and that was something that makes it quite enjoyable.

However, I also enjoy road racing. Its more about man vs track than man vs man, but races are obviously a lot of fun. I think iRacing would be more popular had it focused more on this aspect as it developed, but they have the chance to make up for lost time now. With more popular european tracks and a few more sports cars and it could be one the best simulation games ever.

oval vs road
I suppose it's a bit like your basic restaurant vs. mcdonalds: the one offers different courses and takes some time and thought to appreciate fully, the other is great for a quick bite and instant recognition of what is what, though you do feel kind of empty a while after having "eaten" there.
quicker bang for your buck puts it in a nutshell.

Lol. I think oval racing is quite popular in the USA simply because people want to have a lot of fun. Mosnter trucks, drag racing, tractors, all these things are very popular in America. In the end, it probably not so challenging as road racing, but I understand it's quite a lot of fun. :)

hmmm, calibrated my G27 at 900 and tried the caddy, it seemed ok for low speed, but a touch wayward at higher speed so dropped logtech profile to 400 and it was a spin fest on the rear.

When I did mine, I calibrated it for 440 degrees, then after calibration in game I went to the profiler and bumped it to 900 degrees (without correcting in game). Feels pretty good, and allows me to do little corrections more accuratley. I wouldnt drop it to 400 on the wheel as then its too hard to control.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%