Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I've currently got the GT Ultimate V2 rig but at some point I'm going to get the NLR motion platform and DD wheel but short of reinforcing the wheel crossbar it's not really up to the task right now. However it's the simplest solution with the V3, I considered the RS1 but it is so overpriced getting it to the UK and with Fanatec Shifter bracket and keyboard tray it's over £1200!

However you guys talking about the sim-lab rigs I now see there is a better alternative, my question is what are the differences between the p1 and gt1? Is the P1 going to be noticeablely more rigid? Looking at it €100 more isn't that much and I'm thinking just go for the P1 as I wouldn't need the pedals higher due to having long legs.

Upvote 0
The GT1 looks very flimsy once you get any kind on DD wheel strapped to it ?
Watch this !

P1 looks awesome if you ask me.

I built my own though, you can adapt to fit just about anything to it.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_5761.JPG
    IMG_5761.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting P1 it is then, plus the angle mount for the pedals and full arm for the Shifter will probably be more useful especially as my Fanatec Shifter is not light coupled with the force of the handbrake mounted to its side.

In terms of seats the most conmfortable seat I've ever tried was the Herman Miller Aeron, is there anything like that which holds you like you're sat upright keeping your back straight but in a declined position. Basically declined back but with your legs lifted up too keeping your hip angle the same and needs to be at least as wide as the NLR seat around the shoulders as it's a snug fit for me. Any ideas, not convinced bucket seats are built for comfort?

Upvote 0
My Tillett B4 seat is very comfortable..to look at it you would not think so.

I have it reclined with my pedal's raised when driving F1/LMP car's.
More upright, lower pedal's and steering wheel for GT car's.

Attachments

• rig f1.JPG
    rig f1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
Hi Anton, just setup my new v3 motion with my existing gt ultimate/htc vive/gametrix jetseat/hotas/wheel & pedals combo. This is without doubt the best purchase in my home cockpit. So have been playing around with various racing and flight sims and my daughter has been enjoying no limits roller coaster sim. I do feel that the out of the box settings are giving me more of a thrill seeking experience rather than a realistic simulation experience. I would be very grateful if you could share some of your settings for me to tryout. My favourite games are assetto corsa, project cars 2, Dcs & aerofly fs2. Thanks to all you guys for all the great input in this forum.

Upvote 0
Hi Anton, just setup my new v3 motion with my existing gt ultimate/htc vive/gametrix jetseat/hotas/wheel & pedals combo. This is without doubt the best purchase in my home cockpit. So have been playing around with various racing and flight sims and my daughter has been enjoying no limits roller coaster sim. I do feel that the out of the box settings are giving me more of a thrill seeking experience rather than a realistic simulation experience. I would be very grateful if you could share some of your settings for me to tryout. My favourite games are assetto corsa, project cars 2, Dcs & aerofly fs2. Thanks to all you guys for all the great input in this forum.

Hi Gary,

At default settings the movements of the platform are too big, use the post processing to adjust the intensity and at the same time limit the maximum movement.

screenshot_5.png

Very nearly purchased a V3 a few times..

Decided to concentrate on tactile though..must get round to trying one someday.

Like Nick said: Once you go motion, you can't go back. A couple of years ago i had a SimXperience DIY motion kit. Due to very limited space behind my seat, i had to install the actuators at a too small angle. This lead to failure of the SCN6 actuators. I got to send the kit back and was refunded.

For two years i drove with a GS-4 seat only, but kept looking into motion options on a weekly basis. Because my rig is not permanent a DIY option would be too complex. About 10 months ago i bought the NLMv3 and it's awesome.

I'm a very big tactile fan, but motion just raises your rig to another level.

The great thing about the NLMv3 is that it's super quiet. It's by far my best simracing purchase of 2017

Upvote 0
To me the V3 looks cheap, almost toy like ?

I can assure you it's not "toy like." :)

It's extremely well built, compact by design, pretty straightforward to fit, very quiet in operation, very quick in terms of response time and it provides plenty of immersion both in and out of VR. The configuration software is very easy to use and developer support is first rate and ongoing. It just works out of the box and can be tweaked to suit the many individual titles it supports. Of course it doesn't have all the 'bells and whistles' that more feature-rich platforms have but in terms of 'bang for your buck,' it's a fantastic piece of kit. It absolutely compliments my 80/20 set up and I wouldn't be without it now.

Upvote 0
Hi Gary,

At default settings the movements of the platform are too big, use the post processing to adjust the intensity and at the same time limit the maximum movement.

screenshot_5.png

Like Nick said: Once you go motion, you can't go back. A couple of years ago i had a SimXperience DIY motion kit. Due to very limited space behind my seat, i had to install the actuators at a too small angle. This lead to failure of the SCN6 actuators. I got to send the kit back and was refunded.

For two years i drove with a GS-4 seat only, but kept looking into motion options on a weekly basis. Because my rig is not permanent a DIY option would be too complex. About 10 months ago i bought the NLMv3 and it's awesome.

I'm a very big tactile fan, but motion just raises your rig to another level.

The great thing about the NLMv3 is that it's super quiet. It's by far my best simracing purchase of 2017
How did it compare to the simxperience actuators? I'm about to get a Sim-Lab rig and the first bit of motion kit I'll eventually get is the DIY Rear Traction Loss and just mount it to that but then not sure about whether to go with their actuators to keep it all on Sim Commander or mount the NLMV3 under the seat which needs less modding?

Cheers.

Upvote 0
The simxperience kit was faster, more brutal, but........ It was noisy as hell.

If noise isn't issue, you have the space and time to mod your rig you could go for the simxperience kit.

If they go head to head the simxperience wins on reponstime, effects and speed, but the NLMv3 wins on easy of use, installation and noise levels.

My rig is not a permanent one, still with the NLMv3 i was able to incorporate motion and still have a portable rig. I race often when the family is asleep, with the SimXperience kit this wasn't possible due to the noise levels. Once you have a motionkit, there's no fun in racing without it because you have to be quiet.

With the NLMv3 i can race in the middle of the night without waking up my family. It's more than fast enough and very easy to setup/adjust.

If definately not a toy, but a serious piece of hardware that brings me great joy when racing in VR

Upvote 0
The noise level is subjective. It depends what you're used to and what you're comparing to. Compared to another motion platform, it's been well regarded as the quietest of its type. Comparing it to racing without motion, of course it's going to be louder, and depending where people are sleeping still might impact their peace. I don't use my motion or simvibe when the wife is sleeping but she is basically directly across the hall. Anywhere else in the house would probably be fine. Comparing it to rumble strips on a wheel probably isn't a fair comparison, although I do know that in rFactor especially rumbles on the wheel can be brutal and noisy, so it's probably quieter than that overall. There are no impact noises or loud shaking, it's more of a consistent smooth movement.

I'd love one day to move away from the GT Ultimate cockpit and onto an 80/20 or something similar. Moving between GT and Formula style seating would be awesome! But the way that I have everything braced to remove pedal tray flex and minimise wheel deck movement, combined with the fact that the screens are actually mounted on the cockpit frame itself, means it's hard now to do anything apart from reclining the seat. When I have the need to change it or have to move it, I might consider then. Until now, it's done a fine job and the upgrades I have made (extra bracing, new seat, mounting plates for aura bass shakers, etc.) means it's almost perfect now save a few minor things that may not be used much anyway.

Hi Gary. Hoi pretty much summed up what I would have suggested, but for peace of mind, I can attach a general post process setting page that I use with pretty much all the sims.

Untitled2.png Untitled.png Untitled4.png Untitled3.png

I separate open wheel and GT settings because of the downforce, speed and suspension effects for each given car. It helps with immersion to have a different feeling not only given from the sim but also tailored from the platform. Some titles warrant playing with the settings slightly, but overall, for the big tarmac sims (AC RF2 RRRE IR AMS) these tend to all stay the same, and DR, D4 and RBR get different settings to help achieve the feeling of sliding and jumps. Same goes for my Simvibe settings, I have formula and non formula settings mainly to help remove engine effects at really high RPM's for the formula's which the GT cars don't experience.

Lot's of info, hopefully you find some use of my rambling :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back